SACD Virtual Surround Sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I just picked up an Italian import SACD titled "Shake" from an artist by the name of Zucchero. I had never heard of this guy before but based on this SACD I really like his work. He covers many different styles with mastery, including blues, rock, disco, pop and even heavy metal. The song-writing is excellent, the performances are brilliant and the sound quality is top-notch.

However, this is all a side note, really, to the topic at hand. I originally bought this because it was listed on Amazon as a surround release. The actual SACD lists this as being "SACD Virtual Surround Sound". Indeed, it is obviously synthesized surround of some sort. It is not discrete at all but the overall sound is quite good.

Anyway, to my knowledge, this is closest I have seen of anything approaching "honest labeling" of a fake surround release. In any event, I'm curious if "SACD Virtual Surround Sound" is an actual SACD surround format (i.e. something as a result of SACD mastering) or if it is simply any ol' synthesized surround process that happens to be delivered as an SACD title.

Any thoughts?

Go figure!
These SACD in Italy are impossible to find... and you got it there.
What a mess.

BTW, if you like this guy, check out his 1987 album "Blue's". Just fantastic.

Back