Sansui QRX-7001 enclosure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Led9

I recently picked up a nice working QRX-7001 with a full wood cabinet enclosure. I have never seen one with a full wood enclosure before. Anyone know if this a rare or unusual option? Were they ever offered with the 8001 or 9001? Would doubt it as those units are huge enough as it is.

Rick

I recently picked up a nice working QRX-7001 with a full wood cabinet enclosure. I have never seen one with a full wood enclosure before. Anyone know if this a rare or unusual option? Were they ever offered with the 8001 or 9001? Would doubt it as those units are huge enough as it is.

Rick

Sorry, can't help you. But, any chance of a photo? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Rick
yes, I have two of them, don't know about the 8& 9 series.

anyone have a problem playing CD-4 albums with the qrx 7001? I'm wondering if the decoder is bad. Works fine on SQ & QS records. Could it be the anti-skating isn't adjusted right? I have a new Shibata stylus so it's not in the cartridge. The sound is static like and when the carrier levels are adjusted during play the CD-4 light will go off. This is on Tull's Aqualung wich is heartbreaking since I'm trying to get this on my reel-to-reel. Anyone got suggestions or answers?-----Thanks

anyone have a problem playing CD-4 albums with the qrx 7001? I'm wondering if the decoder is bad. Works fine on SQ & QS records. Could it be the anti-skating isn't adjusted right? I have a new Shibata stylus so it's not in the cartridge. The sound is static like and when the carrier levels are adjusted during play the CD-4 light will go off. This is on Tull's Aqualung wich is heartbreaking since I'm trying to get this on my reel-to-reel. Anyone got suggestions or answers?-----Thanks

You will have to give us a bit more information than that. Just having a Shibata stylus does not guarantee correct CD-4 playback. What cartridge is it? What turntable? What kind of tonearm does it have ... shape? Are you using low-capacitance cables from the turntable? Is the LP worn out? If the record is very worn, it might not ever decode properly.

You will have to give us a bit more information than that. Just having a Shibata stylus does not guarantee correct CD-4 playback. What cartridge is it? What turntable? What kind of tonearm does it have ... shape? Are you using low-capacitance cables from the turntable? Is the LP worn out? If the record is very worn, it might not ever decode properly.
Thanks for the reply Quadzilla, Other Data you requested is: A Sansui FR-5080 Turntable With a SV-40X cartridge. I presume it is a S-shape tonearm, has a curve in it. The cables are plain standard cable with a 16-gauge ground wire. The album {Jethro Tull Aqualung} is in good shape, no pops or static when played and the CD-4 is working but sometime during play the CD-4 modulator light flickers and goes off. I can turn the carrier level to full right and some improvement,hence, the CD-4 light will come back on but surely if functioning properly I shouldn't have to do that. Same scenario with Elvis at MSG and Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean BLVD. The Elvis album has always been in my possession so it is pretty much top notch but you know how things just happen. It my be defective also. Hope this helps on you prognosis! -Thanks---

Thanks for the reply Quadzilla, Other Data you requested is: A Sansui FR-5080 Turntable With a SV-40X cartridge. I presume it is a S-shape tonearm, has a curve in it. The cables are plain standard cable with a 16-gauge ground wire. The album {Jethro Tull Aqualung} is in good shape, no pops or static when played and the CD-4 is working but sometime during play the CD-4 modulator light flickers and goes off. I can turn the carrier level to full right and some improvement,hence, the CD-4 light will come back on but surely if functioning properly I shouldn't have to do that. Same scenario with Elvis at MSG and Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean BLVD. The Elvis album has always been in my possession so it is pretty much top notch but you know how things just happen. It my be defective also. Hope this helps on you prognosis! -Thanks---

My first guess would be that your turntable is not the best for CD-4 playback. S-shaped arms are likely the hardest to align for proper decoding. You might try adjusting the cartridge in the headshell for better alignment, but don't expect miracles. Standard tonearm leads can make things worse if you have marginal perfomance already. I really don't think there is much you can do with that turntable to tell you the truth. At the very least, you should be using a straight tonearm. Some guys swear by the linear tracking designs, but I have yet to see a linear tracking turntable that I would use to prop the basement door open with. Good luck. Mike.

The 5080 is a good cd-4 table, add some decent cables since they plug right in to the rca's on the back of the table. Set up of the cart is critical, I use a Geodisc when ever I set up my carts. I assume you are setting up the demod w/ a cd-4 adjustment record? once set up for good cd-4 reproduction, leave the carrier and seperation pots alone, they are not meant to be adjusted on the fly. That said you will need to calibrate periodicly due to some drift that can happen with cd-4. The last thing is get the 7001 restored, that's about all you can do to max you rig other than chucking the setup and trying other tables but you dont need to do that cause you have what you need for decent cd-4 now. cd-4 can make you crazy:mad:@:

The 5080 is a good cd-4 table, add some decent cables since they plug right in to the rca's on the back of the table. Set up of the cart is critical, I use a Geodisc when ever I set up my carts. I assume you are setting up the demod w/ a cd-4 adjustment record? once set up for good cd-4 reproduction, leave the carrier and seperation pots alone, they are not meant to be adjusted on the fly. That said you will need to calibrate periodicly due to some drift that can happen with cd-4. The last thing is get the 7001 restored, that's about all you can do to max you rig other than chucking the setup and trying other tables but you dont need to do that cause you have what you need for decent cd-4 now. cd-4 can make you crazy:mad:@:
Thanks to both, quadzilla and quadanasaziland, I'll try all recommendation and see what happens. By the way, yes I did use an adjustment record but seemed to have as much trouble with it{Panasonic CD-4 test record}.

Oh forgot to mention that the SV-40X is a Sansui badged AT quad cart and with a new stylus, that is not where your problem lies. Good luck!

Back