Sansui QRX-7001, no sound!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deconus

Hello!

I just inherited a Sansui QRX-7001 from my girlfriend's dad who passed away last Wednesday. I hooked it up to see how it sounds, and to my dismay, could not produce any sound. The unit powers on, all the meters and such light up. I simply had one speaker connected and my MP3 player hooked into one of the ports, tried AUX, phono, tape, etc. Had all the selectors on the right selections.

I found the user manual online and it said to look for possibly blown "quick fuses", 4 of them. I opened 'er up and could not find any "quick fuses" but did find 16 small 5a fuses, 4 of which were blown. I'm hoping this is the solution but unfortunately Radio Shack isn't open 24 hours for me to find out right now. It appears as if something was spilled on top of the unit in the back left...probably a soda...I was also told it had been sitting for about 4 years without use, although I'm inclined to believe it was even longer than that from its appearance.

Anyways, I'm a complete n00b to this fancy Quadraphonic disco machine, just wondering if anyone has any pointers for repairing/restoring it, anything I should look for in particular, etc, etc, etc.

Any help is much appreciated!

Could simply be those fuses. I bought a 7001 with one channel out, replaced one of those blown fuses and it's been working great ever since. So, could actually be that easy.

Rick

I agree with Led9. You probably now have sound in all 4 channels, after replacing the four blown fuses. While you have the unit open, you might want to get a can of de-oxit and give all the pots and switches a good cleaning. Also, if any of the lights are burned out, now is the time to replace the bulbs. You can find bulbs for this unit being sold on EBay, among other places.
I always recommend QuadBob, the acknowledged master of all things Sansui, so if you have a real stumper of a problem, give QuadBob a PM and he might be able to help you pinpoint the problem.
Also, welcome to the wonderful world of Quadraphonic sound. You will find this forum filled with people with a vast knowledge of all things quad. If you have a question, just ask, and someone will answer you.

MTGC (Michael)

Back