Sansui QRX-7001 Revived!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlamoQuad

Wow - I am soooo glad to have discovered this site - yesterday! Here I thought I was a quadraphonic voice crying alone in the wilderness, but y'all, my brothers (sisters?), were here the whole time. I am home now!
And this is my first ever post on this forum.

I bought this Sansui unit at Kadena AB, Japan, around 1976, brought it back with me when assigned to NSA, then two years later shipped it to/used it in Athens, Greece for three years, shipped back to/used it in Texas, shipped to/used it in Scotland for two years, shipped back to/used it in Texas (here in San Antonio) for a couple more years, then put it in the garage for the past 15 years. Yes, castigate me, it languished there, unprotected (except from rain), in 100+ degree heat, 90%+ humidity, car exhaust, even 'marked' by a cat at least once. Until this year, when we moved to a new, larger home, and there suddenly were more rooms than we had music systems for, and I thought I would check out the old veteran. Not a good sound; terrible distortion in both speakers. Found a local authorized service shop, and spent about $125 on a full diagnostic and rehabilitation. Four weeks later, home again, still bad sound. This time I tried it with different speakers (the previous 'bad' ones were cheapo plastic enclosure,etc. - donated to Goodwill), and WOW - it is as good as new, except for some discoloration on the front panel silver-gray bezel, probably the result of the cat's christening; you can see it along the tuning dial window top edge and the left fascia trim. Upgraded from the 'good' test speakers to a pair of 'better' Bose 161s and plugged in an Acoustic Audio powered sub-woofer for some depth. The sound is rich, crisp, and deep, there really is nothing like quality analog! NOTE: The left tuning dial light, and the tuning strength meter lights always worked intermittently, and I forgot to mention it to the service shop; they probably lit up during its stay there, so he did not work on them.
So now I am all pumped up to get rear speakers going with it, maybe borrow the rarely-used pair of Bose 161s from the dining room.
The tape deck is a TEAC X10R, very nice, but not quad, so I am working on finding a quad companion for it, possibly a Sansui SD-5050, which I also owned at one time, but was stolen during a military move.

SansuiQRX7100_b_lo-res.jpg

TEAC_X10R_a_lo-res.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing the stories and the pictures!

Back