Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I haven't read the entire thread so this is likely not new news but here goes.

So far I have listened to the album in DTS MA 5.1 from the BD. I was thinking to myself, "This sounds great". Then I decided to try the Dolby True HD. Wow. It definately sounded better to me. More immersive and actually "stunning". I couldn't figure it out because as far as I was concerned DTS and Dolby should be the same. Then I realized what it was. The Dolby is 6.1. and the DTS is 5.1. The track is marked 5.1 but it definately has a mono back channel. It doesn't appear to be 7.1 It sounds fantastic and is the only way I will be playing this from now on. when switching back to the DTS there is a real difference to me. For anyone into surround (like we are all here) try the Dolby True HD track if you have 7.1/6.1 capability.

I think the 6.1 encoding for the Dobly True HD track has been mentioned. I don't think anybody else has stated it sounds better though. Maybe you are the first to listen to it on a system with back speakers.

So I haven't read the entire thread so this is likely not new news but here goes.

So far I have listened to the album in DTS MA 5.1 from the BD. I was thinking to myself, "This sounds great". Then I decided to try the Dolby True HD. Wow. It definately sounded better to me. More immersive and actually "stunning". I couldn't figure it out because as far as I was concerned DTS and Dolby should be the same. Then I realized what it was. The Dolby is 6.1. and the DTS is 5.1. The track is marked 5.1 but it definately has a mono back channel. It doesn't appear to be 7.1 It sounds fantastic and is the only way I will be playing this from now on. When switching back to the DTS there is a real difference to me and it is just not the volume bump. For anyone into surround (like we are all here) try the Dolby True HD track if you have 7.1/6.1 capability.

For me the DTS MA 5.1 definitely sounds better. But i think this is also showing the "weak spot" with surround music. We all have different setups which of course gives us different experiences on how we enjoy the music. Myself i didn´t listen so much to surround as so many discs didn´t sound good on my equipment. It wasn´t until i got the suggestion to remove the center speaker that the "world opened up" for me. Now many of the "bad" discs sounds better in surround than in stereo. To point out one of the discs that the discussions differ radically we have the Soundgarden - Superunknown BD. That one sounds OK on my player.
This is going off-topic on the discussion on the Sgt peppers disc so í´ll stop now.

For me the DTS MA 5.1 definitely sounds better. But i think this is also showing the "weak spot" with surround music. We all have different setups which of course gives us different experiences on how we enjoy the music. Myself i didn´t listen so much to surround as so many discs didn´t sound good on my equipment. It wasn´t until i got the suggestion to remove the center speaker that the "world opened up" for me. Now many of the "bad" discs sounds better in surround than in stereo. To point out one of the discs that the discussions differ radically we have the Soundgarden - Superunknown BD. That one sounds OK on my player.
This is going off-topic on the discussion on the Sgt peppers disc so í´ll stop now.

I think that if your center is full range you should always leave it but then I haven't tried my set-up with it removed. I can see that it may be an issue if it is smaller than your other speakers. I'm just wondering also whether you have a 7.1 setup when you say that you prefer the DTS?

I think that if your center is full range you should leave. I can see that it may be an issue if it is smaller than your other speakers. I'm just wondering also whether you have a 7.1 setup when you say that you prefer the DTS?

No i just have four speakers in my setup.
I i said it in my reply, most likely it changes the impression of the disc.
That is why it is hard to compare our impressions.
The good thing can be that we can get hints of if we should change our setup.

Yes a bit off topic, but you can also try to improve the response of the center channel speaker to the rest of the system by adjusting the center channel speaker distance. Ignore the actual physical measurement and reduce the center speaker distance parameter in your AV receiver until it sounds integrated with the fronts/system. Doing so worked wonders for me. The size and placement of the center channel speaker is rarely optimum because of the TV set, so dinking with the parameters may be needed.

Suggest continuing this discussion if desired on this thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...e-Your-Surround-Field&highlight=system+set+up

Hear Paul talk about a "discrete" mix and it's about the early stereo. Not a good indicator that a wild and crazy surround mix had a chance at all:

“The original stereo mix is a bit of a period piece,” McCartney concedes. “You’ve got the drums in one corner. You’ve got the vocals in another corner. We would be at listening parties, have some mates around and I’d go, ‘Listen to the drums on this, man!’ …and you couldn’t hear ’em. Oh! They’re over there in the other corner of the room.”

The Fresh Air interview with Giles is highly recommended, many audio examples, but this really caught my ear:

Q. How closely did you work with Paul and Ringo on this 50th anniversary project?

A. I answer to them. Obviously, it's their record.
…if they're not happy, then no one gets to hear it…
…they encourage me to push boundaries and go crazy because they can always say no.

I also listen to other people as well…
…the real fans, and there's some - you know, there's some experts I know.
And I invited them into the studios and see whether they're going to fire bomb my house after they listen to it…

…also there's professionals.
Like, Bob Clearmountain, who's a very famous mix engineer.
He's a good friend of mine. And a while back, I went to his studios.
I was in LA, and I played him some of the mixes and he goes, you know, I feel like I've taken weed and listened to the album for the first time.
And he was crying.

And I suddenly realized, OK, well, you know, this is - well, I'm going in the right direction.
Here's someone who's mixed, you know, David Bowie and Roxy Music and Bruce Springsteen.
And he's impressed.

So you have to be careful at the same time.
My job with them and what they want me to do is try and push boundaries in the same way that they did.
And that's my responsibility.
And you sort of have to - you have to take that and run with it.

Hmm. I'll try the Dolby version today (DTS is usually my preference, "lossy" be damned :yikes ).

As for the difference between 5.1 and 6.1, on my 7.2 system, I always thought the extra went to my "wides," not the rear speakers.

I have the regular 5.1 set up and then two additional discreet speakers to the right and left of the front mains, placed a couple of feet further apart and closer in. I also paid attention to advice to not skimp on the corner of the room sub woofers, Klipsch 12-inches (which is probably why I have ringing in my ears now :( ). But that is a subject for a different thread -- can't wait to contrast the Dolby 6.1!

My only reference for 6.1 are the LORD OF THE RINGS movie blu rays. They sound good 8').

My copy from Amazon DE arrived today without any outer plastic wrap. No damage whatsoever, both the discs and the book sealed.
Anyone experienced the same?

Hmm. I'll try the Dolby version today (DTS is usually my preference, "lossy" be damned :yikes ).

As for the difference between 5.1 and 6.1, on my 7.2 system, I always thought the extra went to my "wides," not the rear speakers.

I have the regular 5.1 set up and then two additional discreet speakers to the right and left of the front mains, placed a couple of feet further apart and closer in. I also paid attention to advice to not skimp on the corner of the room sub woofers, Klipsch 12-inches (which is probably why I have ringing in my ears now :( ). But that is a subject for a different thread -- can't wait to contrast the Dolby 6.1!

My only reference for 6.1 are the LORD OF THE RINGS movie blu rays. They sound good 8').

The Dolby in this case is 96/24 non-lossy. You have your back speakers in the front?

My copy from Amazon DE arrived today without any outer plastic wrap. No damage whatsoever, both the discs and the book sealed.
Anyone experienced the same?

Mine had some cardboard wrapped around it, yes mine was damaged!
Amazon has refunded me about $50 I believe, you can't fault Amazon, they are very good when it comes to things like this.

The Fresh Air interview with Giles is highly recommended, many audio examples, but this really caught my ear:

Q. How closely did you work with Paul and Ringo on this 50th anniversary project?

A. I answer to them. Obviously, it's their record.
…if they're not happy, then no one gets to hear it…
…they encourage me to push boundaries and go crazy because they can always say no.

I also listen to other people as well…
…the real fans, and there's some - you know, there's some experts I know.
And I invited them into the studios and see whether they're going to fire bomb my house after they listen to it…

…also there's professionals.
Like, Bob Clearmountain, who's a very famous mix engineer.
He's a good friend of mine. And a while back, I went to his studios.
I was in LA, and I played him some of the mixes and he goes, you know, I feel like I've taken weed and listened to the album for the first time.
And he was crying.

And I suddenly realized, OK, well, you know, this is - well, I'm going in the right direction.
Here's someone who's mixed, you know, David Bowie and Roxy Music and Bruce Springsteen.
And he's impressed.

So you have to be careful at the same time.
My job with them and what they want me to do is try and push boundaries in the same way that they did.
And that's my responsibility.
And you sort of have to - you have to take that and run with it.

this is the same Bob Clearmountain that mixed Avalon, Boys & Girls, Frantic, Legend, etc into 5.1 surround..? is he sure he was crying tears of joy..

I have the regular 5.1 set up and then two additional discreet speakers to the right and left of the front mains, placed a couple of feet further apart and closer in.

7.1 as mixed for Bluray has the two extra channels at the rear, behind the listener.

your the man of the month! pin a rose on, put a star in the window, and tell your boss I said you get 2 days off with pay. I just got enough to do it!!

Thanks, leevitalone.....but I am the boss and I can't afford the time off. As a NY state resident, you are also exempt from ImportCD's sales tax so you should make out like a bandit. Enjoy. I paid $114.39 delivered from Music Direct so I didn't suffer that big of a loss and received it day/date of release.:banana:

Wow. This box set is beautifully presented.

I had reservations ordering this and the Jethro Tull set which were announced around the same time as I knew I was due to be in Bali in the second half of May and was worried about having no one to take delivery. The Tull set was shipped the day after I left for Bali but fortunately arrived the day after I got back.
Amazon France confirmed they had shipped the Sgt. Pepper set on Friday 26 May with an expected delivery in Sydney of 8th June. My wife wanted to stay away longer, so I thought I was safe. Over the weekend of the 27th 28th I watched the Sgt. Pepper set leave Roissy Paris, travel to Cologne in Germany, then go back to Roissy, Go somewhere else in France; back to Roissy. It then spent a few hours in Louisville, Kentucky and eventually ended up showing as at Sydney Airport late Sunday 28th.

It was out for delivery early Tuesday 30th and I wasn’t due back till the Friday. I give credit to the driver from Amazon Global / UPS who left the set at the front door after taking a photo for proof. It would have been a drama to locate it from a card left under the door. I apologise to him getting his truck stuck in the driveway for an hour and even appreciate the deep black treadmarks he left behind.

I was impressed by the delivery speed. I don’t think it could have been as quick had I had it delivered in France. It would probably be on the way back to Roissy right now.

So it was all ready on my return and like others, I originally thought it was the wrong set with real vinyl in it, but no it was a wonderful recreation of the vinyl cover and a well thought out package. I just need a new house to put it in.

I was initially disappointed in the surround on the blu-ray on my main system in the house but on Sunday, nursing a cold , I braved rather inclement winter weather to listen on my outside system by the pool area. The systems are similar Oppo 103, Denon amps. The speakers and sub woofers vary. The pool system has large Acoustic Research speakers that cost a fortune once and large outdoor Bose units in the rear. On this system the surround, bass —everything sounded fabulous and almost 3 dimensional . I’m a bit puzzled at the difference. i don’t normally notice that much variation. Regardless, I'm not sure anything in this mix suggests 'pushing boundaries', which is a bit strange for an album that pretty much started pushing the boundaries that allowed progressive rock etc.

But I’m suspending judgement for the moment. I haven’t noticed the Dobly True HD is superior to the DTS MA but I did think the extracted Flac was superior, although it may be my imagination.

I will wait till I get a chance to hear it again in a variety of conditions.

Back