Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equipment question here I can get a free Sansui BA-F1 amplifier from a friend. However it is not working any longer and it will have to be restored.
Anyone here have experience with Sansui amplifiers? Looking online it seems to have a good reputation. However restoration will require removing some glue that goes bad and replacement of what are called black flag caps. Just what I need more vintage gear when I want to buy something modern...
I have never owned or worked on Sansui gear, although it has a good reputation. I recently went through my Emotiva Stealth 8 studio monitors’ amplifiers and found a bunch of glue, apparently to keep the radial lead capacitors from shaking in the speaker boxes. It was pretty brittle, and sadly carelessly applied by the Chinese builder. I don’t know yet if the silicon seal I replaced it with will last for 30 years.

I suspect the “black flag” caps are low-inductance specification, but again, no direct experience. My biggest concern would be the output transistors, although those should be fairly easy to cross. You can make this into a modern piece of gear, although it will be a project.

whoopsi
GEAR not rear.
thought it was an odd request - until I put on my glasses
<edit>
51UjOFPBwIL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Infinity R162​

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...infinity-r162-bookshelf-speaker-review.12333/

20230521_113939.jpg

JBL HLS 610

Two Yamaha surround systems, my rears. (others' pictures)
Harman Kardon receiver needs rears installed and more space for them. 😁

Thanks @barfle
From the same friend I also have an offer for a Carver M500t amp also with analog meters. Also not working.
Yes he has many amplifiers some of which actually work.

But your restoration skills are beyond my ability and these two are described as boat anchors
I am aware of design differences and preferences among the Carver units.
Next time I get out to visit I am likely to just look and leave. I have enough junk in my garage. .

Thanks @barfle
From the same friend I also have an offer for a Carver M500t amp also with analog meters. Also not working.
Yes he has many amplifiers some of which actually work.

But your restoration skills are beyond my ability and these two are described as boat anchors
I am aware of design differences and preferences among the Carver units.
Next time I get out to visit I am likely to just look and leave. I have enough junk in my garage. .
Everyone has different skills. I’m a retired EE with several years as a bench tech, so that sort of thing is what I’m pretty good at. But I’ve never been able to make music come out of anything that takes more skill than a record player. Paint scares me. I’d like to learn to weld. Horses are evil. I’m a fair mechanic, but auto upholstery is not something I’ve ever tried.

I’m not the one to tell you what you’re interested in, but if the piece of equipment is already a boat anchor, you can’t hurt it by taking it apart and seeing if you can figure it out.

My current surrounds (5.1) are Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers. Came with the house I bought, along with Reference 2000.5 fronts, a Video 1 center, and a BU-1 subwoofer (not in use). Not an ideal setup, but a major upgrade over the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 satellities-and-subwoofer computer speaker system I was using before!

Came with the house? Damn dude!
The widow I bought it from was moving cross-country, and it was her late husband that was into audio (and music; he built a rehearsal/studio space in the backyard). She included a lot of her furniture, too. I could hardly believe my luck after my offer was accepted and I met her.

Snoopy is now part of the Spatial/Surround Family!
Hand made by my wife.

View attachment 103469
Very cool Snoopy! I thought my puffy cat LED light thing was nothing to share...but my daughter let me "borrow" it because I liked it....and both Snoopy and Puffy Cat are on the best speakers...Klipsch. 🤣😍

20240316_082922.jpg

Last edited:
Back