Silverlines "Live From The Front Row" series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Silverline has been so maligned in the past that you will probably have a problem finding someone on this forum that actually bought one of these (or will admit to it). I would also like to hear about some of these (thge Iggy Pop one) but so far I think the Aaron Neville - Believe disc is the only Silverline disc that is getting rave reviews everywhere.

I would add Glen Phillips' "Abulum" and Ziroq to the list of good Silverline DVD-As. I think we need to be careful not to tar all the Silverline artists/albums with the same brush. Generally the Silverline/Sanctuary combo seems to be the one to avoid.

Sorry, forgot about the Ziroq. I don't know anything about Glen Phillips though.

Well, the "Live From The Front Row" series do not seem to be associated with Sanctuary Records, so that is a good sign. Against my better judgement, I went ahead and ordered a couple of these. I'll check 'em out and report back.

Good sign???? NO!!!

Ok... I have bashed Silverline enough in the past that you would think I would have learned my lesson.... Nope... not me.

I went to Best Buy today and found the Pat Benatar title for $17.99. I like PB so I bought it even though it was Silverline. I get home, pop it in the player.... I got F@#$%d again by those bastards!! Nothing but HEAVY reverb in the back. Each song fades out and the next just pops in. No fade up... no attempt to crossfade to make it sound like a real show. NOTHING!!! Stuuning surround sound my ass!!! Those assholes have gotten their last dime from me. Their subpar product is a black mark on all that is and can be DVD-A.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE AT ALL COSTS!!!

Yep, Romanotrax is right. Just because there is no Sanctuary logo on these things doesn't mean they don't suck.

I bought the Elvin Bishop and BTO titles from this series. Pretty much just reverb in the rears. Your standard cookie-cutter stereo-to-surround BS that Silverline has been foisting upon us for years now. There was a glimmer of hope when a new president took Silverline's helm this year but that glimmer has been soundly extinguished. Their "quantity-not-quality" tactic for producing surround-sound titles remains unchanged.

Despite the terrible surround-sound of these discs, it seems only fair to mention that the artist's performances on these two discs are quite good. I especially enjoyed the Elvin Bishop disc. It starts out a little shaky, but once he gets into a groove, Elvin rocks the joint. A very enjoyable concert performance. The BTO concert, recorded in 1974, captures the band at their peak. I've heard concert recordings of them before and they've been pretty dissapointing. This one is pretty darn solid and quite enjoyable.

Silverline products create quite a dilema for fans of surround sound and DVD-A.

While their output quantity gives a boost to:

1) Total number of DVD-As available
2) Filling up the DVD-A section at Best Buy and Media Play
3) Providing new releases when other companies have none

......Their surround quality gives the format a bad name.

Just think, it they would just label the non- discrete discs as
<strong>
"Hi-Rez Stereo" with an enhanced matrix mix for 5.1 systems"
</strong>

instead of proclaiming "Stunning 5.1 Surround Tracks",

many of us would have no problem with them, and buy their products for the stereo hi-rez tracks.

It all boils down to..................COMMUNICATION!!!

:-jon

Yeah, if they were more honest and forthcoming in labeling the content of their product, I'd have less of a problem with Silverline as a company.

Yeah it's too bad about the quality of the discs and not at all surprising. Alot of the titles interested me, Elvin Bishop, BTO. Robin Trower, Iggy Pop to name a few, however even if the quality was very good I doubt I would have purchased too many of them. The problem for me is that these artists, especially "live" performances of them are not "listening room" kind of music, at least not for me. This is driving, outdoor-party, drinking (though maybe not while driving) type music. As I do not as yet have a dvd-a unit in the car or a portable unit I would rarely listen to these live performances. That is basically why I haven't picked up the Elvis disc yet. I hear it sounds great, but for me Elvis is more music to listen to in the car than in my listening room. Guess I've rambled enough.......

The Motorhead "Ace Of Spades" disc is actually pretty good. It is discrete.

The sad thing about the BTO disc is that it was originally aired in SQ on the King Biscuit Flour Hour. An original four channel discrete mix exists (or at least at one time did). One wonders why these four channels couldn't have simply been transferred to digital and released as a four channel DVD-A. Even if they had to fake the bass and center channels to make it 5.1, at least it would have been better than what they ended up with.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>An original four channel discrete mix exists (or at least at one time did). One wonders why these four channels couldn't have simply been transferred to digital and released as a four channel DVD-A. [/quote]

Actually, there probably IS NOT a discrete 4channel mix of the KBFH concerts. These were produced as "live" SQ performances...whereby the concert was miked/mixed/encoded to SQ as the concert was recorded. So you might consider them "direct to SQ". The same as releases like Santana - Lotus or Mountain - Twin Peaks.

The good side of this is because the "stereo master" that was produced is SQ encoded then all known copies of these releases are SQ encoded also. So, if you find the concert on vinyl, cd, or ? it will still carry the SQ encoding.

But, to produce a DVD-A or SACD multichannel. They would either have to decode the SQ master tape (probably not a viable option) or re-mix from the multi-channel master......if one exists.

QuadBob:cool:

I have the King Biscuit CD of BTO (the official release as opposed to those released only for radio airplay). There is a blanket statement on the back cover regarding all of King Biscuit's officially released CDs which reads: ..."these recordings have been re-mixed and digitally re-mastered from the original multi-track masters...". Never having any reason to doubt the validity of this statement, I never checked for quad encoding. Upon freshly listening through a Tate, I didn't notice anything obviously quad about it

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>..."these recordings have been re-mixed and digitally re-mastered from the original multi-track masters...". [/quote]

Thanks for that Zabble.......I was aware that they were selling the KBFH shows to the public now, and I hoped that they were as originally aired......so the SQ encoding would be intact. However, it would appear from your experience that they are completely re-mixed and therefore not SQ encoded any longer. That's a shame........:mad:

I've got about 5 of the KBFH Radio airplay CDs and on them the SQ encoding is intact. While they are mostly crowd noise and ambience, a couple of them are actually pretty good SQ!:D And the Argent concert is everything their SQ album SHOULD have been! (Long version of Hold your Head Up......awesome and pretty quad to boot!)

QuadBob:cool:

Back