Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on the BBC website, which made me chuckle, as 50 years ago we would go and drink in the pub when we were underage drinkers (so 16-17yrs old) in St. Albans - once being told "could we be a bit quieter, don't make it obvious!" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2rp4dmxv2o

1713621151121.png

Missed RSD as I was helping my son do his boy scouts Eagle project this weekend.......building three bookcases. Was dreading it but enjoyed it so far. They are built and sanded now. A few more workdays to stain and varnish are ahead. All scouts have to do this and host other scouts on their projects for service hours. There is a value in charitable work and building skills....but I wanted to look at records.

I feel like age has recently hit me like a truck...👴
If I feel this old now, what will I feel like when I'm 80?
I’m 76, and I’m getting tired of my body telling me I’m not 30 any more.

I’m still able to do most of the things I need to, like mowing the lawn and a fair amount of home projects, but sometimes it’s just easier to pay someone else.

I’m still able to do most of the things I need to, like mowing the lawn and a fair amount of home projects, but sometimes it’s just easier to pay someone else.

If it wasn't for people like us trying to behave like we're 30, the physical therapists would be on the bread line.

I refer to my PT place as the Hotel California.

Hi Folks, [Some YES content]

I wasn't quite sure where to put this without derailing other threads but I recently came across this image of a reel to reel tape from Chris Squire's estate;

The writing on the box has me intruiged with references to left & right "rears & fronts". The reel was allegedly made in 1973, a year after the release of Close To The Edge. Were they perhaps considering a quad release?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/are-you-ready-for-the-great-cicada-emergence-of-2024-170259906.html

Are you ready for the great cicada emergence of 2024?

⁉️What’s happening now?

The cicadas are coming home to roost! Or, rather, mate. Thanks to the synchronization of the 13- and 17-year-cycle cicadas — which only happens once in every 221 years — trillions of periodical cicadas known as Brood XIII and Brood XIX are emerging from the ground for a mating ritual.

This noisy ritual, which begins four to five days before the cicadas emerge, peaks with the male cicadas loudly buzzing in hopes of securing a mate. The cicada song can reach up to 100 decibels. Here's how it sounds:

When the ritual is done after a few weeks, the cicadas die and leave their carcasses. These carcasses look like tan shells in the shape of the cicada and can be found on the ground or attached to trees and plants.

🌎Where and when is this happening?

These two cicada groups happened to make a home next to one another but won’t overlap too much, with the exception of parts of Illinois. Brood XIX will appear in parts of the Midwest and Southeast, in states like Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland, while Brood XIII will primarily be seen in Illinois while also extending into parts of Wisconsin, Ohio and Iowa.

Cicadas will emerge earlier in warmer parts of the country, with the earliest-known appearance coming in mid-April. Most cicadas, however, are expected in mid-May or early June. The whole cycle lasts about a few weeks after they emerge.

🧟What are 'zombie cicadas'? Should we be worried?

The cicadas may be extra-frisky this year, thanks to a sexually-transmitted fungal pathogen called massospora cicadina that makes them very eager to mate. Unfortunately, it’s not all fun and games for the cicadas, as this fungus essentially zombifies them.

:hi While these cicadas are not literally undead, the cicadas infected with the fungus, which has mind-controlling elements similar to that of hallucinogenic mushrooms, have their backsides taken over by chalky white fungal spores. This ultimately causes their genitals — as well as other body parts — to fall off, meaning that the fungal infection is ultimately fatal. What’s particularly strange is that these infected insects also exhibit hypersexual behavior as a function of the fungus — so when they do attempt to mate, they spread the fungus. While we don’t know how many cicadas are infected with the fungus, in 2020, 10% of a brood of cicadas in the Midwest were infected.

The good news? These cicadas, zombified or not, are harmless to humans.

I've been trowling concrete and mortar for the past few weeks. It's just patching my pond waterfall and remortaring the large and small rock down the sides of the pond (I had to put a new liner in) and it's been kicking my old butt. Some of the rock is heavy, and a 6 gallon pail of concrete is killer. As well as the 80# bags of mortar.

I've been trowling concrete and mortar for the past few weeks. It's just patching my pond waterfall and remortaring the large and small rock down the sides of the pond (I had to put a new liner in) and it's been kicking my old butt. Some of the rock is heavy, and a 6 gallon pail of concrete is killer. As well as the 80# bags of mortar.
I had a pond built during the front drive rebuild and rear patio renovation (i.e. it was collapsing), so had to have a chunk dug-out and rather than fill it in, it became the start of a 7m x 2.5m pond! I got them to use the same tanking material (some kind of waterproof cement) that is used on cellars, basements, and lining water-tanks (so non-toxic). Its working really well and worked out about half the price of neoprene pond liners.

I have finally learnt not to do mechanical or building things, as it costs me a lot to do it, and then twice as much to get somebody in to fix it by doing it properly! :LOL:

Back