Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6f5e0ba09d741f9a86a14a8ccf29930d.gif

A random story- went to Plattsburgh NY to see the eclipse. The second totality kicked in, the upstate bar band playing a mile down the lake stopped mid song, and played the Dark Side of the Moon, in its entirety. Nice musical addition.

Attachments

• IMG_6943.jpeg
    IMG_6943.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7259.jpeg
    IMG_7259.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02100.jpeg
    13.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02078.jpeg
    11.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02098.jpeg
    DSC02098.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Now, I don't play video games often, but either I'm playing the wrong video games or realistic lighting seems to have gotten worse over the past 10 years. Sure, the new stuff has way more fancier tech, but like, IDK. Something's off. If I take something like 2014's Metal Gear Solid V the lighting, although it's less fancier, seems to be a lot more akin to how light works in real-life. And as a high-fidelity-chasing man, this irritates me.

Also, when I think retro games, I think stuff like Pac-Man. In reality, retro has now started to encompass stuff like Uncharted with realistic humans and stuff. Ugh. I feel old.

A French company has reportedly managed to license Sholay for a Blu-ray release...only took 20 years for the license holders to finally agree. For those unaware, Sholay is an Indian Western film from the 1970s that has a huge impact on the country's cinema. Now only one question remains: are they going to license the theatrical cut or the director's cut? There's a 20 minute runtime difference and a completely different ending between both. Furthermore, the theatrical cut is cropped from 4:3 to cinemascope (as it was blown up from the 35mm source to 70mm), and although cinemascope is the director's intention I much prefer the 4:3 version.

I don't have a PC strong enough to monitor in real-time for some mixes.

I have a 6-core 12-thread processor.

I've clearly screwed up somewhere when Pyramix Masscore is starting to look appealing to me.

I don't have a PC strong enough to monitor in real-time for some mixes.

I have a 6-core 12-thread processor.

I've clearly screwed up somewhere when Pyramix Masscore is starting to look appealing to me.
How many tracks are your mixes up to these days?
Running 7.1.4, 5.1, & 2.0 on the same board?
Some hungry bionic instrument/synth plugins?
Running OldTools DAW?

The 'hit the back wall again and need to upgrade' thing actually stopped for me around 2009. I miss upgrading but the modern software spoofing and whitelist stuff puts me off. Everyone lies now. Go go gadget 2009 Mac Pro! (12 core 24 thread)

How many tracks are your mixes up to these days?
Running 7.1.4, 5.1, & 2.0 on the same board?
Some hungry bionic instrument/synth plugins?
Running OldTools DAW?

The 'hit the back wall again and need to upgrade' thing actually stopped for me around 2009. I miss upgrading but the modern software spoofing and whitelist stuff puts me off. Everyone lies now. Go go gadget 2009 Mac Pro! (12 core 24 thread)
It's not necessarily tracks, it's how much heavy processing or synths I may be running... I'm using Reaper right now. 5.0 only. I've got some 10 track stuff that screams in pain and some 60 track stuff that works fine. Purely dependent on the song. Don't got a mixing board. Good old mouse and keyboard baby! Running 24/96 for this album at least...I can do up to 24/192. Although if I'm buckling this much at 24/96...

I think the heaviest thing I have right now are guitar pedal/amp sims. Those just completely destroy my PC.

Last edited:
I still say "board" when I mean DAW and I still say "tape" when I mean file on a hard drive. Sorry about that!

Some synth plugins will do that. Some of those or the virtual orchestra stuff would make my machine show some age. I'm more a put a mic in front of it and then mix it back guy. And probably better at mastering and restoration. Does that mean I'm better at resurrecting the dead than creating new life? Reaper wins at any rate!

I went to Zappa.com to see if there was any word on an Apostrophe' 50th and found this... Mothers Whiskey 1968. A 1968 live recording of my favorite line-up of the Mothers recorded at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go. It is due out June 21st. No surround in this release, but I still look forward to it. :love:
Funny, I am half way through this documentary now and the Whiskey show is in the movie.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4881578/

Back