Snarky Puppy "Empire Central" - Atmos Blu-Ray!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their main web page says Pre-order, but no date is given that I see.

SP EC.jpg

Saw them opening for Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl last year. Did not know them but they were great live.

Only drawback was that I had sprung for a fairly close box seat at the bowl ($$$) for the first time ever, and it turned out that the box of 6 women in front of me were the wives/GFs of some of Snarky Puppy. They were joined by 2 or 3 of the band, and they all talked pretty loudly during the Dan portion of the show, paying no attention to them for most of the concert and making it hard ot concentrate on SD. At least I had seen them a few times before with both Becker and Fagen, but still...
Well that sucks. I hate when people are at a concert and NOT LISTENING TO THE MUSIC! Go somewhere else in that case. I was at a Bruce Hornsby solo concert in Newport RI once, where it was so bad he actually stopped playing and said he wasn’t going to continue until they shut up!

Tell your wife or girlfriend to go somewhere else and see how well that goes down 😂

Just ripped to 7.1; looking forward to watching the show.

What I find interesting is that there is no indication on the packaging anywhere that it's in Dolby Atmos; and there isn't any audio information either. The only indication that it's even a Blu-ray is because of the logo on the clear inner plastic disc holder header.

SP - EC BD 7.1.jpg

EC SP WAV.jpg

What I find interesting is that there is no indication on the packaging anywhere that it's in Dolby Atmos; and there isn't any audio information either. The only indication that it's even a Blu-ray is because of the logo on the clear inner plastic disc holder header.

View attachment 95163

View attachment 95164
I noticed that too. I figured they must have thought, “Well, people know what they ordered when they ordered it.” :LOL:

It kind of reminded me of conversations that have been had about how we just want the music on a disc... doesn’t need to be fancy packaging in any way. It’s a nice package, but definitely no-frills or any sort of booklet... which suits me fine. Just happy to have this on disc.

View attachment 95163

View attachment 95164

Received it yesterday and yea, noticed as you say! Will play and watch it via my Kaleidescape DV700 disc server in my basement Atmos system (and then my theater Atmos when its done). Also I ripped it to 7.1 for my family room 5.1 system via ROON. Saw them live from the front row at Mesa Arts Center more than a year ago - WOW WOW WOW! And I've watched my Kaleidescape HD quality video of Sylvie, only in 2 channel LPCM 48-24, using DTS Neural X, and that was outstanding. Can't wait to pop the new Atmos concert in to watch and listen when I get a chance soon!

I just love how much fun these guys have when they're playing together. It's a huge melting pot of folks from all kinds of musical backgrounds and otherwise, and you can see they're blowing each others' minds in real time... and what a cool way to record, with a small group of fans present as well to charge the air. I find myself, in addition to grooving my arse off, thinking "this is how the world should be—everyone connecting through art, music, etc. and creating something greater than the sum of the parts".

my Blu Ray copy arrive today. I've been a fan for quite some time and am thrilled to have this. Such a unique band and presentation. Expert musicianship combined with the joy of making music together with a live audience. Outstanding mix and engaging camerawork. I paid the full boat because I wanted to support the band - a literal army of musicians who do this for the love of it. Bravo!

my Blu Ray copy arrive today. I've been a fan for quite some time and am thrilled to have this. Such a unique band and presentation. Expert musicianship combined with the joy of making music together with a live audience. Outstanding mix and engaging camerawork. I paid the full boat because I wanted to support the band - a literal army of musicians who do this for the love of it. Bravo!
I totally agree. Watched it in Atmos. Great concert. Great jazz. Great improvisation. We need more!

Latest posts

Back