Sony in pop SACD release shocker!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eggplant said:
Columbia plans a Multichannel SACD for John Mayer and his Room For Squares (2001) releasing the gem on December 13.

If this is the same "multichannel mix" found on the DualDisc, who freakin' cares?

Well, if we're getting the album in 5.1 Hi Rez Surround Sound vs. Dolby Digital, that's certainly an upgrade sonically. I think Mayer fans will indeed care!

bmoura said:
Well, if we're getting the album in 5.1 Hi Rez Surround Sound vs. Dolby Digital, that's certainly an upgrade sonically. I think Mayer fans will indeed care!

First off, this is my first post. I'm happy to know there are other people out there who know much more about this stuff than I do!

I must say I as I read this thread I was initially excited about "Room for Squares" on SACD, but I must agree with eggplant - high resolution aside, this isn't a very good surround mix. What I believe you guys call an ambient mix rather than an aggressive mix. Give me aggressive.

Too bad, too, 'cause the guy who did the mix, Jack Joseph Puig, is one of my favorite producers.

Wait a minute - I'm missing the forest for the trees - maybe the "Room For Squares" surround mix in hi-res is nothing to get excited about, but the very thought that more SACDs are being released IS! :eek:

dr. simple said:
What I believe you guys call an ambient mix rather than an aggressive mix.

I wouldn't even call it that, as it would be an insult to ambient mixes.

The first two tracks have virtually nothing in the surrounds.

It really belongs in the Silverline catalog, as in "don't get suckered by this worthless disc." Get the CD, put it through your Tate or DPLIIx, call it good.

Is Sony re-working on a new Mariah Carey SACD release???

For some reason, the January 2006 issue of Home Theater lists Mariah Carey's "#1's" SACD under the New and Upcoming Releases section (on page 23 in my copy).

Or did the magazine just get confused? I thought that her #1's SACD was already released----years ago---as a single layer, stereo-only disc?

You know, they placed it directly under Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty". Maybe ROE was initially supposed to come out around the same time as Carey's #1's---and they just got a little greedy when cutting-and-pasting from an old article??? :mad:@:

Eugenius said:

For some reason, the January 2006 issue of Home Theater lists Mariah Carey's "#1's" SACD under the New and Upcoming Releases section (on page 23 in my copy).

Or did the magazine just get confused? I thought that her #1's SACD was already released----years ago---as a single layer, stereo-only disc?

You know, they placed it directly under Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty". Maybe ROE was initially supposed to come out around the same time as Carey's #1's---and they just got a little greedy when cutting-and-pasting from an old article??? :mad:@:

Yes, it is out as a Single Layer Stereo SACD. Haven't heard anything about that one being reissued as a Hybrid Surround SACD.

Eugenius said:

OTOH, it would be an excellent move by Sony to get more SACD titles out onto the market, especially in light of Mariah Carey's current album being the biggest selling album of 2005.

soundboy said:
OTOH, it would be an excellent move by Sony to get more SACD titles out onto the market, especially in light of Mariah Carey's current album being the biggest selling album of 2005.
If that's true, then 2005 was a crappy year for music!:mad:@:

daved64 said:
If that's true, then 2005 was a crappy year for music!:mad:@:

It may be crappy but she moved almost 5 million copies this year alone. Certainly one of the biggest comeback in music history. Sony may just want to capitalize on the publicity. Sony really should put her "MTV Unplugged" album on MC (that's multi-channel, not Mariah Carey :D ) hybrid SACD.

Back