Sony in pop SACD release shocker!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
From musictap:

"Hey!! Here's the triumphant return of Hybrid SACD from Sony. I've bolded it to bring extra attention. On December 6 of this year, Epic is going to release an SACD Multichannel title for Duran Duran and their best-selling Astronaut. Keep those fingers crossed that this turns into a new trend."

I assume this is the mix that was on the DualDisc, which actually isn't bad. Here's to hoping it's a sign of things to come.

musictap is a US site, so I dont think so unless he's got bad info.

Wow! What a new! One disc!!!!
What are they smokin'?

Sony and a *new* SACD release; is this a Halloween joke???

I'd love to hear speculation on why, at this late stage, Sony (a signee of the DualDisc format) would do such a wonderful thing....

Musictap.net is reporting the following....

As if this weren't enough, I've just found out that Columbia plans a Multichannel SACD for John Mayer and his Room For Squares (2001) releasing the gem on December 13. Cross those fingers, SACD lovers...cross..those..fingers!!

Is this IT? Apocalypse? Change of heart? What?! Columbia unleashes Switchfoot and their Beautiful Letdown on Multichannel SACD on December 13.

Just read that! We're up to three titles now, when does it become a trend? :)

Seriously; if Sony has the masters prepared and can't/won't do high resolution DualDisc DVD sides, is it possible they've got a new business model for pumping out two dedicated products (DualDisc *and* SACD) from the same source mixes?

Good news! Maybe Brian can shed some light on this.

JonUrban said:
Good news! Maybe Brian can shed some light on this.

I guess they will have to un-thaw him from cryogenic deep-freeze now that there is SACD news again.. ;)

steelydave said:
From musictap:

"Hey!! Here's the triumphant return of Hybrid SACD from Sony. I've bolded it to bring extra attention. On December 6 of this year, Epic is going to release an SACD Multichannel title for Duran Duran and their best-selling Astronaut. Keep those fingers crossed that this turns into a new trend."

New release date: 12/20/2005

It's been delayed 2 weeks, so now Amazon's price is back up to full list.

OK, I can not verify whether this is a SACD or not....yet. Sonymusicstore.com is now listing a pre-order of John Mayer's "Room For Squares" with a list price of $18.98 and a release date of 12/20/2005. It's listed as a CD but on the same page, the actual CD is available with a list price of $13.98 (sale price at $11.98). Remember this title was reported by musictap.net to be a SACD release on 12/20/2005??

This is also happening with Switchfoot's "Beautiful Letdown".....pre-order with a list price of $18.98 and a release date of 12/20/2005. The CD version is already available at $10.98.

Hmmmm

The new "CDs" mentioned above have a "H" in its catalog number, which is consistent with the catalog number of the upcoming Duran Duran SACD. The normal CDs has a "K" in its catalog numbers.

soundboy said:
OK, I can not verify whether this is a SACD or not....yet. Sonymusicstore.com is now listing a pre-order of John Mayer's "Room For Squares" with a list price of $18.98 and a release date of 12/20/2005. It's listed as a CD but on the same page, the actual CD is available with a list price of $13.98 (sale price at $11.98). Remember this title was reported by musictap.net to be a SACD release on 12/20/2005??

This is also happening with Switchfoot's "Beautiful Letdown".....pre-order with a list price of $18.98 and a release date of 12/20/2005. The CD version is already available at $10.98.

Hmmmm

The new "CDs" mentioned above have a "H" in its catalog number, which is consistent with the catalog number of the upcoming Duran Duran SACD. The normal CDs has a "K" in its catalog numbers.

Sure looks like a SACD to me. Coming out the same day as Duran Duran SACD.

Amazon lists Switchfoot also: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000C4BATO/

There's something on the page that refers to Christian music. Is that what this is?

One strange thing is this was one of those rootkit CDs. Could be the new one is just the re-release without the rootkit. Hope it's a SACD though.

Last edited:
I just got an email from Elusive Disc and it mentioned 5 new Sony SACDs---though only the John Legend and Duran Duran ones are in the "pop" realm, I suspect. (Not too sure about the 2 soundtracks.) Some of these have already been discussed, but maybe not the others? Anyway, here they are:

John Legend / Get Lifted
James Horner / The Legend Of Zorro Soundtrack
The Phantom Of The Opera Soundtrack
Duran Duran / Astronaut
Yo-Yo Ma / Plays Ennio Morricone

Supposedly, they are all hybrid and multi-channel/stereo.

Columbia plans a Multichannel SACD for John Mayer and his Room For Squares (2001) releasing the gem on December 13.

If this is the same "multichannel mix" found on the DualDisc, who freakin' cares?

timbre4 said:
MusicTap sez: Feb 2006...The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man on Hybrid SACD?

They are referring to the Mobile Fidelity reissue of the Byrds album. It was supposed to be out late this year but was delayed.

It's part of Mobile Fidelity's SACD series of classic Sony Music albums. And, as noted here earlier, Mobile Fidelity only has Stereo and Mono rights - not Multichannel from Sony Music.

See http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=16991908 and http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=17375018 for more details.

Eugenius said:
I just got an email from Elusive Disc and it mentioned 5 new Sony SACDs---though only the John Legend and Duran Duran ones are in the "pop" realm, I suspect. (Not too sure about the 2 soundtracks.) Some of these have already been discussed, but maybe not the others? Anyway, here they are:

John Legend / Get Lifted
James Horner / The Legend Of Zorro Soundtrack
The Phantom Of The Opera Soundtrack
Duran Duran / Astronaut
Yo-Yo Ma / Plays Ennio Morricone

Supposedly, they are all hybrid and multi-channel/stereo.

Right - they're all slated to be Hybrid Multichannel SACDs and Elusive Disc and the Sony Music Store are taking pre-orders for all 5 already. See http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19405607 for more details.

Back