SPOTLIGHT Sony Japan 7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD Series - Comprehensive List of Multichannel Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they had to come up with a way to charge $50 or there about per title, and have them as export pressings. So while the covers, especially the foil print as not that cheap to make, all the goodies that come with these are all scans and reprints of existing items. And that is why folks want them and buy them. They like all these pretty extras printed so nicely and assembled like a work of art.

But I can see how putting the discs into slim-line cases and never having to open these up to get the discs makes a lot of sense.

Where the whole thing has value to me is the first class mastering from genuine first generation master tapes, and the albums are for the most part are good solid choices. If the music was not great and they were not in quad, and the mastering wasn't damn good then no amount of fancy packaging would be worth it.

We are lucky that when AF closed down - we had Japanese 7" series, DV catalog rolling out rock, and now Quadio bringing home the bacon.

Just amazing and magical things happening. And Sony Japan have been hitting mostly home runs with the quad masters.
As I noted, the packaging, while not an eternal deal-breaker, has been one in the past.

I understand that standard CD packaging shrunk down a lot of artwork so it's difficult for geezers like me to read. But I'm already storing my discs in at least four different locations based on the size of the packaging. That's enough.

PXL_20240228_164908020~2.jpg

Shouldnt Pink Floyd DSOTM be in the spreadsheet (and your picture) as well? Odd, but it is a Sony Japan release! (SICP-10143)

"You are correct, sir!" - I did not realize that. I just looked and it really is an SCIP as well. Very strange but noted, and the post and the picture have been changed. Thanks!

I admit that the packaging has turned me off from buying them. If I did, I would probably scan the artwork and repackage them into standard or SACD jewel boxes so they could be easily found.

Seriously, I don’t understand (and never have understood) why some companies feel that they need to stand out in a way that turns off many of their potential customers.
I LOVE the packaging (as my wife says, I’m a sucker for marketing!) but don’t feel like fumbling through it every time I want to hear something…so I keep the SACD’s separately in a binder…along with blu-rays from box sets that are unmanageable 😋

Its as jam packed release for sure! Somewhere in the bundle of stuff that's in there is the SACD in the typical sleeve Sony J uses, really.
It was a little "trust but verify" moment ;)

I don't have any Billy Joel music........I suppose if Im going to get one this is the one to get.
Depends. The Stranger is (IMO) a better album and the 5.1 mix is excellent and the 7" 40th anniversary release is also packed with tat. And the bonus material on the extra CD is (IMO) better. And don't forget that the regular CD layer of the SACD includes 5 more live bonus tracks that are also excellent!

But as a sheer legacy product, Piano Man would be a better choice, with it's original quad-mix. I watched the DVD and it is very interesting but I doubt if I will watch it more often.

Thanks just looked at the song list on amazon which has this version and I know and like the singles so Im leaning to it. Just not sure how often I would listen however.....

Back