Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there seems to be a lot that's been brushed off the table. Add in the fact that they have to be commercially viable and that will certainly limit the remaining selection.

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Aerosmith - Rocks
Argent - In Deep
Beck, Jeff Group, The - Self Titled
Beck, Jeff - Blow by Blow
Beck, Jeff - Rough & Ready
Beck, Jeff - Wired
Beck, Bogert & Appice
Blood, Sweat & Tears - II
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image
Blood, Sweat & Tears - New City
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear
Buddy Miles Express - Chapter VII
Cash, Johnny - Live at San Quentin
Chase - Self Titled
Chase - Pure Music
Cummings, Burton - Self Titled
Davis, Mac - All the Love in the World
Davis, Mac - Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me
Davis, Mac - Burnin' Thing
Davis, Mac - Stop and Smell the Roses
Davis, Mac - Thunder in the Afternoon
Derringer, Rick - All American Boy
Derringer, Rick - Spring Fever
Dylan, Bob - Nashville Skyline
Earth, Wind & Fire - Head to the Sky
Earth, Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes
Earth, Wind & Fire - That’s the Way of the World
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit
Edgar Winter Group - Jasmine Nightdreams
Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night
Edgar Winter Group - Shock Treatment
Edgar Winter Group - with Rick Derringer
Essex, David - Rock On
Isley Brothers, The - 3+3
Isley Brothers, The - Live It Up
Joplin, Janis - Pearl
Labelle - Nightbirds
Labelle - Phoenix
Loggins & Messina - Self Titled
Loggins & Messina - Full Sail
Melvin, Harold & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue
MFSB - Love is the Message
Mountain - Avalanche
Mott the Hoople - The Hoople
Nugent, Ted - Free-for-All
O'Jays, The - Live In London
O'Jays, The - Message in the Music
O'Jays, The - Ship Ahoy
Paul, Billy - 360 Degrees of Billy Paul
Paul, Billy - Live In Europe
Paul, Billy - War of the Gods
Raiders, The - Indian Reservation
Redbone - Beaded Dreams through Turquoise Eyes
Redbone - Message from a Drum
R.E.O. Speedwagon - Lost in a Dream
R.E.O. Speedwagon - This time we mean it
Santana's Greatest Hits
Santana - I
Santana - Abraxas
Santana - III
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water
Simon, Paul - Self Titled
Simon, Paul - There Goes Rhymin' Simon
Simon, Paul - Still Crazy After all these Years
Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits
Sly & the Family Stone - High On You
Sly & the Family Stone - Small Talk
Taylor, Johnnie - Rated Extraordinaire
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
West, Bruce & Laing - Why Doncha
West, Bruce & Laing - Whatever Turns You On
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk
Winter, Johnny - John Dawson Winter III
Winter, Johnny - Saints & Sinners
Winter, Johnny - Still Alive and Well

Sorry for the list, but that's a healthy chunk of the "Pop/Rock" titles available under the Sony/Columbia Catalog. So far, we've been told the Santana's are off the table, ditto the Paul Simon's and Johnny Winter's. Edgar Winter is still up in the air. No reply on Pearl, but she just recently had a 40th anniversary 2-CD set, so she's probably out as well. West/Bruce/Laing probably not popular enough, and probably the same story for Redbone. Any news on Aerosmith? It's been said Nilsson is right out as well.

So, if we were to eliminate all those titles, that doesn't exactly leave us with the most commercially viable titles. In all, there was maybe 1,000 titles (give or take) across all the record companies. When you eliminate the classical stuff, the weird stuff, the non-commercial stuff, you're really not left with a whole lot.

That's what worries me. I'm afraid that a lot of these good titles are going to be blocked by either the artist saying "nay" or by other companies sitting on the licensing. The whole thing will come to a screeching halt. I'll tell ya I've personally bought every one of these SACD's including the titles I wasn't very interested in simply to support the cause. It's gotten off to a great start and hopefully opened a lot of peoples' eyes to the fact that surround sound is a good thing! I don't want to see it end like the Quadio program at Rhino.

I'd add a few that only appeared in SQ LP form..

Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
O'Jays - Family Reunion,
O'Jays - Survival,

(and two more that saw Q8 release but only about 8 people in the known world have heard the discrete Quads..

Isley Brothers - Heat Is On,
Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns.

Oh and (please)..

Loggins & Messina - Native Sons,
Poco - Seven,
Return To Forever - Musicmagic,
Johnnie Taylor - Ear'gasm

The SQ LP of Eargasm is excellent, I can only begin to imagine how stunning the Quad masters must sound..

I think you'll be fine.

I don't anticipate seeing more than 2 Multichannel SACDs at a time/in one month from Audio Fidelity in the months ahead.
It is most likely to be 1 or 2 at a time in a specific month. A nice pace. :)

I'd like them sooner please.. I'm fearful MFSL or AP will nab licensing on all of these other titles and Quad-block us again if AF don't up the pace.

To recap, earlier requests from QQ members in the Sony Music catalog, that were released on Multichannel SACD by Audio Fidelity:
  • Super Session - Kooper, Bloomfield & Stills
  • Child Is Father To The Man - Blood, Sweat & Tears
  • Blood, Sweat & Tears (self-titled)
  • Loggins & Messina (self-titled)
  • Nightbirds - Labelle
  • Open Our Eyes - Earth, Wind & Fire
  • Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra
  • Jeff Beck Group (self-titled)
  • Greatest Hits - Sly & the Family Stone (coming soon)

Not a bad start. :)

For which I'm most grateful.. keep up the good work and the high standard and AF will have a customer for the life span of their Surround SACD product, which I hope will be long.

Its a shame AF can't set up or do a deal with a UK or European subsidiary label to license all these titles..
..I doubt any other label in this country or across the continent has licensed many or even any of the titles we're all clamouring for that have been licensed in the U.S for the U.S.

The best way to get the best selection of titles possible from AF's series, and to get as many released as possible is to buy the ones that do get released. Even if it is not exactly your cup of tea, go for it anyway if you can. If it's really not your cup of tea, buy it and leave it still sealed, then flip it in a couple of years if you are not a collector. I see the collector's value all over these darn things.

I think we'll find Santana, BOC, and Edgar Winter Group are not pipe dreams. But it's going to take some more time.

Last edited:
This comment may not be particularly helpful, realistic or financially viable for most of us but I want to see EVERYTHING on Q-Eights list on SACD

I do wonder why Johnny Winter is "off the table" at this time?

I'm a big fan of the three albums that got commercial quad releases.

Last edited:
I don't think that AF will pull the quadraphonic rug out from under us, and give us stereo only on Sittin' in. That would be cruel and unusual treatment right in the middle of this glorious run of releases. Let's stay positive!

I'd be down with Joni Mitchell. I'm Canadian, She's Canadian. I must support her or face deportation. But also, the Quad of Raised on Robbery was an AM radio staple when I was but a wee tyke (running from Polar bears back to my igloo).
I have Judy Collins on Q8 and her CD-4. Underwhelming mix is an Understatement. Many of the songs come from 4-track multis, so, compare them to The Doors' 4-track songs. Pretty lame, Milhouse...
Perhaps some Burton Cummings then? I actually had the SQ record back in the day.

YES!! The Burton Cummings Self Titled album from 1976 is a great candidate for Quad. Not only is it a pretty adventurous mix, but some GREAT tunes on that one. Niki Hokey, Burch Magic, Stand Tall, Your Backyard.... Great, Great stuff.

Perhaps some Burton Cummings then? I actually had the SQ record back in the day.

Maybe I've got your old copy.. :eek:

fwiw, the SQ LP pans out nicely thru the Surround Master SQ vinyl unit (even the cavernous reverb on the 1st track doesn't wrong foot it!) the vinyl itself seems to be mastered a little hot and is a bit upfront/bright in places but mostly a nice sounding record, with a decent surround mix and solid set of tunes.

Definitely in for an AF Quad SACD of Burton, if one is indeed fourthcummings..

Well, there seems to be a lot that's been brushed off the table. Add in the fact that they have to be commercially viable and that will certainly limit the remaining selection.

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Aerosmith - Rocks
Argent - In Deep
Beck, Jeff Group, The - Self Titled
Beck, Jeff - Blow by Blow
Beck, Jeff - Rough & Ready
Beck, Jeff - Wired
Beck, Bogert & Appice
Blood, Sweat & Tears - II
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image
Blood, Sweat & Tears - New City
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear
Buddy Miles Express - Chapter VII
Cash, Johnny - Live at San Quentin
Chase - Self Titled
Chase - Pure Music
Cummings, Burton - Self Titled
Davis, Mac - All the Love in the World
Davis, Mac - Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me
Davis, Mac - Burnin' Thing
Davis, Mac - Stop and Smell the Roses
Davis, Mac - Thunder in the Afternoon
Derringer, Rick - All American Boy
Derringer, Rick - Spring Fever
Dylan, Bob - Nashville Skyline
Earth, Wind & Fire - Head to the Sky
Earth, Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes
Earth, Wind & Fire - That’s the Way of the World
I think we could see Open Our Eyes any day now. Or was it a few mos. ago.

Having listened to Loggins & Messina today for the first time, I hadn't heard this album before, some really nice tracks. But it had me wondering what/who it reminded me of.

Although I've mentioned it before DAN FOGELBERG - Captured Angel. (Epic PEQ-33499 (SQ), EAQ-33499 (DQ8)) which being on Epic is a Sony label, its a fantastic album. So how about if AF?

Having listened to Loggins & Messina today for the first time, I hadn't heard this album before, some really nice tracks. But it had me wondering what/who it reminded me of.

Although I've mentioned it before DAN FOGELBERG - Captured Angel. (Epic PEQ-33499 (SQ), EAQ-33499 (DQ8)) which being on Epic is a Sony label, its a fantastic album. So how about if AF?

Yes I'd like a Surround SACD of this one (the old quad is very htf on either format..)

It seems like this first year of 4.0 SACDs from AF was chock full of albums with hit songs or greatest hits albums. Then Mahavishnu, Jeff Beck and Alice Cooper for the album rock crowd. It's been a banner year with the series. Then to wrap it up with a special unissued vintage quad mix is just gold flakes sprinkled on the icing on the cake, fingers crossed.

So very excited about the coming year's quad excavations, now that we've all seen a couple of major labels roll out the welcome mat to AF's 4.0 series. It's for real this time. Thank you Audio Fidelity!

....So very excited about the coming year's quad excavations, now that we've all seen a couple of major labels roll out the welcome mat to AF's 4.0 series. It's for real this time. Thank you Audio Fidelity!

And WTF is stopping the other labels (Hello MFSL and even HD Tracks) from doing surround??? AF has blazed the trail and these guys muddle onward with their heads up their asses.
:nuke

And WTF is stopping the other labels (Hello MFSL and even HD Tracks) from doing surround??? AF has blazed the trail and these guys muddle onward with their heads up their asses.
:nuke

Because we got Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Ten Years After, Chicago CTA & Aretha (on Rhino/Quadio) and a few other one-offs like Deep Purple Strombringer, and a while back Mike Oldfield's Bells, and other important quadraphonic mixes presented beautifully, I am less concerned about what MFSL or Analog Productions think about original quad surround on an SACD surround layer.

It's better that AF is seeking quality quad masters without the competition from other deep pocketed audiophile labels.

Had there not been any Floyd, Tull, or TYA, etc. I'd be more frustrated at this lack of concern. But since major strides have been made in recent years, and the future looks great if not absolutely wonderful, I'm ok with putting my money with AF, and enjoy the upswing of new surround releases there. It's all good really other than MFSL is not getting any of my music spending cash. If they're ok with that then fine. Audio Fidelity is releasing some things no one else has had on the market ever (rare quad titles), This is a really good thing in a competitive marketplace.

Now I'm just hoping for the Quadraphonic "Crown Jewels" this coming year. Those few A-List evergreens, I'm convinced that they are coming!

Last edited:
Guess the question with Johnny Winter would be the sales potential of a Multichannel SACD reissue. Not a lot of well known recordings from him when it comes to the larger music audience.

Didn't DCC do a gold disc of "Johnny Winter And" the studio album from him. So I would guess "Still Alive and Well" is not out of the question.

What I didn't figure is that if a CD was recently reissued that there would be a quad block. So it's not only about recent SACDSs being licensed/reissues.

Back