SonyMusic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
Haven't seen it mentioned here, but sonymusic.com is now sonybmgstore.com. They have a sacd button with many pages of sacds. The majority are classical, but they have some surprises listed there like The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Telarc Clasics (which I thought was an independant company), Mike Oldfield, Elton John, Steely Dan. Unfortunately, they only identifiy which are stereo, MC, sigle or dual layer sporatically.

thanks for the link - - that's an interesting array of some harder-to-find sacd titles, surround or otherwise.

Interesting. . .it looks like they fulfill orders via Amazon, which explains the similar reviews and pricing.

It's also interesting that they made the effort to single out SACD on the column in the upper right ("Shop By Type"). If SACD was as "dead" as some people make it out to be, why would Sony/BMG bother? I know I risk reading too much into that, but why single out a "dead" format?

I guess it's just another example of the inconsistency with which this format was promoted from the beginning. I guess I just don't understand.

Thanks for sharing,
Josh

Last edited:
Haven't seen it mentioned here, but sonymusic.com is now sonybmgstore.com. They have a sacd button with many pages of sacds. The majority are classical, but they have some surprises listed there like The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Telarc Clasics (which I thought was an independant company), Mike Oldfield, Elton John, Steely Dan. Unfortunately, they only identifiy which are stereo, MC, sigle or dual layer sporatically.
Thanks. I found 2 I wanted.

Kal

Yes, thanks for the link. Laid end to end like this, it's still an impressive catalog. I found 10 wants and at least a dozen maybes.

Interesting. . .it looks like they fulfill orders via Amazon, which explains the similar reviews and pricing.

It's also interesting that they made the effort to single out SACD on the column in the upper right ("Shop By Type"). If SACD was as "dead" as some people make it out to be, why would Sony/BMG bother? I know I risk reading too much into that, but why single out a "dead" format?

I guess it's just another example of the inconsistency with which this format was promoted from the beginning. I guess I just don't understand.

Thanks for sharing,
Josh

I went back and ordered some, and yes it is all done by Amazon. When you click on checkout, it takes you directly to the amazon website, and your order is placed through them.

I keep thinking that Sony have given up on SACD or just resigned themselves to it being the minority / high quality format, but this is a glimmer of hope. Multichannel music may always remain a minority interest, but if we can keep at least one good modern format alive and persuade people to keep releasing stuff on it then we will be getting somewhere. If enough audiophiles want to get good quality stereo material and enough quadheads want multichannel mixes then there's a small but significant market there, and SACD can keep both camps happy.

I ordered 4 on Monday. I heard very positive audio comments on the early Sony releases and they have posted a few here that must be part of their last of that supply. Some items show only a few left in stock for ordering.

Richard

So now we have a supply [finally!!] of some SACDs; between SonyBMG & Concord. The only problem is neither site reliable tells you which are multichannel.

So now we have a supply [finally!!] of some SACDs; between SonyBMG & Concord. The only problem is neither site reliable tells you which are multichannel.

I cross-referenced many of the Concord titles here: http://www.elusivedisc.com/. They don't have them all, but the ones they do stock list whether or not they are multi-channel (of course, I can't guarantee their info to be correct).

??? There are many sites which have been supplying SACDs for a while. Is there something unique about this one?

The J. Cash Christmas album they listed as an SACD is only stereo red book, and not one of JC's best sounding albums, content wise.

Richard

It seems that all of the releases on Columbia / Epic are NOT dual layer.
At least in my findings and judging from descriptions on EBay and other places.
The Billy Joels, Aerosmith, Boston etc....all SACD only.
Hopefully the SACD line won't die but if it does
then at least you can play the discs and not have coasters.

-B

Back