Sound card for Q8 capture to PC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilman

Hi all.

I did a few quick searches. But came up empty handed.

Mainly I'm interested to know what type of sound cards are prefered for multi channel sound capture. And audio out, four channel. I mostly collect Q8. I just won a Delta 1010 on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. I would like to archive my collection on HD or CD. I figure this is a good sound card for the job. But have not tried it yet.

What software is best. I see Audobe Audition is usefull for SQ decoding. Something I'll have to try. As the only working decoder I have now is a Sansui QA7000. I don't think it does a great job decoding SQ. But then I don't have anything else SQ to compare it with. What would be a good multi channel in/out software?

Thanks. Oilman.

I'd say you made a good choice. I don't like the new drivers/interface that took out the bass managment etc.. But besides that I think it's a great card for multichannel. You can even get 2 more and do 22.2 surround sound :0 j/ks.

This is the best list of various hosts and surround sound features I've found
http://acousmodules.free.fr/hosts.htm

I think that software is a subjective thing - whatever is easiest for you - but I prefer soundforge 9 for destructive editing over Audition. The best free alternative I've used is Wavosaur. I find it much faster for converting stereo to quad than both SF and AA. But I don't think it has scripts/automation.

I personally haven't found a nondestructive editor for surround sound that I can say is the absolute best. They all seem to have some sort of shortcoming imo. But I haven't gone through all of those yet.

The 1010 is a good card.

I use Sony Vegas for recording from Q8/Q4/SACD. It works fine for me. There are other options of course, many cheaper.

Thanks for the tips on software. I will check into them. My Uncle suggested Sawstudio. I downloaded the demo to play with. So far I have managed about a 10 sec 4 channel recording LOL. But theres a glimmer of hope ;-)

There are various options available.
The hardest part is getting a clean signal into the DAW in the first place, and the M-Audio will do the job.
You're also going to need good Noise Reduction.

Back