Stereo Flac Airplay (Mac)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In theory if your AVR supports AirPlay 2 then yes! AirPlay 2 as a codec supports up to 24/48 Lossless. That being said I think there was some sort of kerfluffle raised by Darko Audio recently that the specific way you send over Airplay 2 will stream lossy, and a different way will stream lossless… but all his video titles on AirPlay are similar so I can’t find the right video to send over.

You can also get boxes that act as AirPlay 2 receivers that you could plug into your AVR (or other source point) to get that functionality if your AVR doesn’t have it.

In theory if your AVR supports AirPlay 2 then yes! AirPlay 2 as a codec supports up to 24/48 Lossless. That being said I think there was some sort of kerfluffle raised by Darko Audio recently that the specific way you send over Airplay 2 will stream lossy, and a different way will stream lossless… but all his video titles on AirPlay are similar so I can’t find the right video to send over.

You can also get boxes that act as AirPlay 2 receivers that you could plug into your AVR (or other source point) to get that functionality if your AVR doesn’t have it.
It does, Denon AVR 6700H. But what player can I use on a Mac to airplay it? Apple Music doesn't support Flac.

Maybe VOX player.

It's like they're still competing with FLAC with their lockout except it doesn't make much sense. I've been using VOX lately. I like simple and just using a Finder window to browse files.

A device would have to be approved to show up on the Airplay list. Maybe something like what @PurpleMoustache was talking about. Yeah, I wouldn't convert either. Just... because. FLAC is the standard. ALAC is only 8 channels too, same as FLAC.

There's network and sharing options. Maybe if the AVR does network? If you can get close enough with a HDMI (or thunderbolt to HDMI) cable, plugging the AVR in as an audio device is always reliable.

Back