Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories) CD/BluRay released Feb. 25th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Facebook today, someone on behalf of SW is asking people to please still buy it as apparently it was leaked to the Internet a week ago. I expect it is pretty difficult to get sales these days as without this sort of piracy

In addition to that there was a tweet to the same effect from Steven Wilson's Twitter account.

People have to realize that music must be bought properly; I'm going to try to be optimistic and hope many of these are fans who simply can't help themselves when a chance to hear it sooner appears and that they plan on buying it appropriately.

Yes, I wonder how many generations other than my own like to buy lots of cardboard and plastic treats? I expect, though don't really know, that downloading is the de facto method used to obtain the music you want these days. I have done this when what I want is not physically available but always prefer something tactile

I spotted it floating on the internet several weeks ago. I can't find it now, must have deleted it. I've got the Blu-ray pre-ordered, probably won't listen to that either. Can't say I've liked much of anything he's done since Fear of a Blank Planet. I still have hope that one day PT will make another great record...

I spotted it floating on the internet several weeks ago. I can't find it now, must have deleted it. I've got the Blu-ray pre-ordered, probably won't listen to that either. Can't say I've liked much of anything he's done since Fear of a Blank Planet. I still have hope that one day PT will make another great record...
But isn't that the point...We already have all those great PT albums. I love FOABP and I can play it whenever I want to. Deadwing, Stupid Dream, The Incident, etc. Thank goodness that SW make all the PT albums that he did...and so many of them are 5.1 dvda no less. I'm pretty sure PT is over but they left a great legacy.

On Facebook today, someone on behalf of SW is asking people to please still buy it as apparently it was leaked to the Internet a week ago. I expect it is pretty difficult to get sales these days as without this sort of piracy
Terrible. Screwing the one guy out there trying to give us as much great music as he can. Making high resolution, surround music and charging probably the lowest prices you will find out there for a full-length album usually running over 60 min. It's hard to think of artist who is more on the side of the consumer than SW.

Well I'm always an optimist regarding this (not so much regarding the rest of the earthlings , though..but!,,,)
I think that people who REALLY like his stuff , will buy it, ---and people who download it and LIKE it , will also buy it (as was my ***ehem**** case).

Cause , let's face it , you may download whatever...but the HD will go to hell in a handbasket sooner than later, and where is your download gonna be???? NOWHERE!
Give me physical media anytime....

BTW, duly ordered my CD/DVD-V copy from amaz*n.c*.uck!
I'm basically a "considerate" SW /PT fan, don't REALLY like their stuff TOO much , but they are one of the few artists out there who put out quality stuff....the same way I expect a lot of you guys will purchase my DVD-A (special price fro QQ members) when it's released later this year....

Well I'm always an optimist regarding this (not so much regarding the rest of the earthlings , though..but!,,,)
I think that people who REALLY like his stuff , will buy it, ---and people who download it and LIKE it , will also buy it (as was my ***ehem**** case).

Cause , let's face it , you may download whatever...but the HD will go to hell in a handbasket sooner than later, and where is your download gonna be???? NOWHERE!
Give me physical media anytime....
I agree! And I missed Porcupine Tree until I heard the leaked MP3 version of Raven. As soon as I did I cancelled my order for the Blu-ray and bought the deluxe edition. Then I turned a couple of friends onto it and they pre-ordered copies as well. Steven does not get the widespread publicity and airplay he deserves so it's up to us to spread the gospel!

When my deluxe edition arrives (hopefully tomorrow) I'm going to hold a special listening party for my friends hopefully inspiring them to order The Raven.

Been tracking my deluxe edition shipment....saw it went from NY to Texas on Friday so I had hopes of getting to me in NM maybe Tuesday so I could spin the 5.1 mix before I leave for a short out of town trip late next week. Now however it's showing as bing in Indiana!!! WTF??? NY-TX-IN? Nothing intentionally goes that way so I'm thinking it got misdirected somehow.

I'm sure this must be a mistake, but Amazon US lists the Bluray as having only Dolby and DTS: "The Blu-ray Disc edition offers audiophiles the chance to experience the album in its full glory with 24bit stereo files, plus 5.1 mixes of album (DTS 96/24 5.1 surround & Dolby AC3 5.1 surround)". In the reviews someone mentions that it is in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

I'm sure this must be a mistake, but Amazon US lists the Bluray as having only Dolby and DTS: "The Blu-ray Disc edition offers audiophiles the chance to experience the album in its full glory with 24bit stereo files, plus 5.1 mixes of album (DTS 96/24 5.1 surround & Dolby AC3 5.1 surround)". In the reviews someone mentions that it is in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

This sounds more like the DVD-V. Here is the description from the Burningshed page:

DVD-V - 96/24 Stereo LPCM of the album, plus 2 x 5.1 mixes of album (DTS 96/24 5.1 surround & Dolby AC3 5.1 surround

Blu-Ray - 96/24 Stereo LPCM of the album, plus 2 x 5.1 mixes of album (96/24 5.1 LPCM & DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)

I can confirm the blu ray has the 3 audio tracks as Robert quotes from the Burning Shed page.

The DTS-HD MA sounds great too.

Been tracking my deluxe edition shipment....saw it went from NY to Texas on Friday so I had hopes of getting to me in NM maybe Tuesday so I could spin the 5.1 mix before I leave for a short out of town trip late next week. Now however it's showing as bing in Indiana!!! WTF??? NY-TX-IN? Nothing intentionally goes that way so I'm thinking it got misdirected somehow.

Well at least yours is moving. Mine is still in NY as of today. Not sure whether that's good or bad...

Back