Sting: sacred love SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
A great album by itself, and a decent surround mix. The rears are not so loud, but they creates a good ambience - coherent with the other Sting surround releases. Probably (i need to test it further) a couple of dB on the rears helps a bit the overall good imaging.

I wonder why the new sting sacd doesn't move any finger on the keyboards... is this a european-only release, and the us version will come later?

winopener said:
I wonder why the new sting sacd doesn't move any finger on the keyboards... is this a european-only release, and the us version will come later?

The U.S. release is due out next week - on September 30th along with the David Sanborn and Aaron Neville Hybrid Multichannel SACDs.

bmoura said:
The U.S. release is due out next week - on September 30th along with the David Sanborn and Aaron Neville Hybrid Multichannel SACDs.

Not to mix post threads, but are there any details as to what's on the DVD-A that's not on the SACD? Is the US/Canada release of the SACD Hybrid?

shark42 said:
Not to mix post threads, but are there any details as to what's on the DVD-A that's not on the SACD? Is the US/Canada release of the SACD Hybrid?
The euro release is hybrid, and i've discovered yesterday while driving (so listening the stereo for the first time) with some disappointment that the stereo and multichannel mix are different.
Total time of MC: 60,57
Total time of ST: 58,08 (both sacd and cdaudio).

The difference lies notably in track 5 "never coming home": the piano solo at the end of the track is faded out on the stereo version at 4,59, while the mch goes to the end at 7,49. It's one of my highlight of this album and it has been faded out!!!! What a shame... and what are missing the die-hard-stereo-only fans! :cool:
Gotta downmix the mch in stereo to got it fully on ordinary players.
There are other minimal differencies on track 10 and 12, but... this 2-minutes cut is strong!

Regarding the DVD, i've not seen it at all; there's a sticker on the sacd cover that says "The full lenght dvd" but no mention of audio, so it can be a dvd-video.

winopener said:
The euro release is hybrid, and i've discovered yesterday while driving (so listening the stereo for the first time) with some disappointment that the stereo and multichannel mix are different.
Total time of MC: 60,57
Total time of ST: 58,08 (both sacd and cdaudio).

The difference lies notably in track 5 "never coming home": the piano solo at the end of the track is faded out on the stereo version at 4,59, while the mch goes to the end at 7,49. It's one of my highlight of this album and it has been faded out!!!! What a shame... and what are missing the die-hard-stereo-only fans! :cool:
Gotta downmix the mch in stereo to got it fully on ordinary players.
There are other minimal differencies on track 10 and 12, but... this 2-minutes cut is strong!

Regarding the DVD, i've not seen it at all; there's a sticker on the sacd cover that says "The full lenght dvd" but no mention of audio, so it can be a dvd-video.

Hmm, that is different!

On DVD, yes Universal has announced a DVD Video edition of Sacred Love as well as Hybrid SACD and CD Audio versions for the US market.

Just go to a Best Buys store where the new Sting CD is on sale this week for $9.99. Pickup the SACD (Hybrid) version(There are no SACD stickers on this release). When it rings up at cashier for the full price($17 here in NJ), just show the cashier the sale flyer and they'll give it to you for the regular CD $10 sale price. (They have no clue about these Hi-Rez formats!!!) This just worked like a charm for me!
Good luck and enjoy!

timw said:
Just go to a Best Buys store where the new Sting CD is on sale this week for $9.99.
I've paid mine 21 euro... and if someone ask why music sales are lower in europe, i'll scream "cut the prices!!!"

Brian,

did you got the Sting tracklist from a press release or from a real SACD?
Just wonder, because the euro version has 12 tracks: tracklist 1-11 is the same, and add at the end "shape of my heart" live version. Seems the euro hybrid will be a collector's item in a short time... :cool:

BTW, does the SACD Hybrid media has severe limits on running time? Not only "Blonde on Blonde", which clock at less than 74' (and was on a CBS single disc) has been released in two SACD, now also Elton John GYBR is going to split again! Just the first CD edition was on two cd, then all others (even the OMR release!) has been on a single disc.

winopener said:
A great album by itself, and a decent surround mix. The rears are not so loud, but they creates a good ambience - coherent with the other Sting surround releases. Probably (i need to test it further) a couple of dB on the rears helps a bit the overall good imaging.

I'm not a big Sting fan but do like this SACD. Once again he has assembled some great musicians to play with him. Just about every song is a winner. The SACD does get a bonus mix of one of the tracks(can't remember title...) and as stated elsewhere in this thread track #5 on the SACD layer has an extended piano solo ending which is real nice! The surround mix is excellent and adds to the listening experience nicely!
(y)

ahem.

I know that this is the SACD forum, but my question was about differences between this SACD release and an eventual (promised?) DVD-A disc. NOT to be confused with the DVD (video) that's coming out.

So:

1) is the US/Canada SACD hybrid?
2) is this coming out DVD-A, and, if so, what's that go that the SACD doesn't?

It might be worth mentioning for completists that the version of Sacred Love released here in the UK has 12 tracks, the last one being 'Like A Beautiful Smile' which is better than a lot of the stuff on the regular album. I wasn't overly impressed with the sonics of this album, aside from the live version of Shape Of My Heart. There are a lot of digital synths, drum machines and sequencers on this album, and I would imagine they're all firing samples that are 16 bit/44.1kHz, and you can really hear it I think.

Dave.

Hi - a source working for Universal Music in Canada tells me this SACD is cancelled for this market.
They were not sure why - might have to do with the new 'pricing" thing.
I have since ordered it from Amazon.co.uk..........
/\/\

I have never seen that Sacred Love would be on DVD-A. It is not listed on Universal's site so I would not expect it. Also, the Japanese version has 14 tracks. It includes a version of "Moon Over Bourbon Street" that is not on the Europe or USA discs.

\

sacd29 said:
I have never seen that Sacred Love would be on DVD-A. It is not listed on Universal's site so I would not expect it. Also, the Japanese version has 14 tracks. It includes a version of "Moon Over Bourbon Street" that is not on the Europe or USA discs.

\

ah, that would explain it. I had I guess confused it with GBYBR and some other titles that appear to be coming out "both ways". Looking back over the lists, you seem to be correct - thanks! :)

I still hope that the Canadian version's not pooched.

Any importers of the Japanese SACD?

Hi shark,

I puchased my copy of the Japanese version from hmv.co.jp. I use them for all my JSACD and have always been pleased.

Enjoy

sacd29 said:
\

Perhaps where the confusion is coming in are A&M's plans to release a DVD Video of Sacred Love. That comes out on Tuesday and will be a making of Sacred Love disc that is from the A&E special on the Sacred Love sessions.

bmoura said:
Perhaps where the confusion is coming in are A&M's plans to release a DVD Video of Sacred Love. That comes out on Tuesday and will be a making of Sacred Love disc that is from the A&E special on the Sacred Love sessions.

well, that's not where the confusion came on my end... :)

Never confused those two, has I guess -assumed- with the DVD-A of Brand New Day announced that the new album would be on this format as well (http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19571759)

go figure... wouldn't be surprised to hear that a dvd-a's on the way at some point. weird to have a split format for one artist, no? then again, I guess Miles has that, but with 2 record companies...

meh.

Back