Stupid Question from a NOOB - Dvd-A & SACD/DualDisc in their Heyday? Prices & Fun

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody invent a Time Machine and take us back to year 2000 :banana:...........funny thing would be all the items would be bought up by us :rolleyes: thinking we have collectibles, only to have Sony, etc responding with WOW we have a HIT let's put out loads more titles.............either way we win :51banana:

You belong here!

I bought my copy of the Avalon SACD back in 2007[used]for $4.99 at a local[now defunct] record store.

I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

You have the illness we all have-and there is no cure! Only mild relief with new releases in High res multi channel

To quote from Can "I Want More" ".....And More" (Tracks 1 & 4, on Flow Motion).....only a 2.0 Hybrid-SACD dammit!! :howl But recorded with the artificial head system so kind of surround!:phones

To quote from Can "I Want More" ".....And More" (Tracks 1 & 4, on Flow Motion).....only a 2.0 Hybrid-SACD dammit!! :howl But recorded with the artificial head system so kind of surround!:phones

some of those Can SACDs pan out nicely in PLII Music (can't remember off top of my head but think Flow Motion is one of them.).

some of those Can SACDs pan out nicely in PLII Music (can't remember off top of my head but think Flow Motion is one of them.).

I recently got the Can DVD which has been re-released, and the 5.1 mixes of "Smoke", "Get The Can", "Below This Level", & "Half Past One", show how their albums could have been. But sadly because of the way they wrote and recorded the albums were in the main just 2 track. I was lucky enough to see them at Hatfield Poly (my poor father becoming the taxi for me and my friends!) where they played "Kata Kong" which is on the Live double CD, somehow I managed to acquire a gig poster, which ended up on my wall instead.

This is a great thread! I started out in 2004/2005. I hit up a Stereophile show in midtown Manhattan, I believe it was held at the Hilton. I was checking out the vinyl and CD's they had on sale on the ground floor (they had quite a selection!) and I stumbled upon one merchant that had a slew of SACD's. So I grabbed Keb Mo's Just Like You and a handful of other SACD's (Jazz at the Pawn Shop among others). Single discs were $25, doubles were $50. I didn't have a SACD player, but I figured one day I'll have a rig to play them. I picked up an Oppo 980 a few years later and forgot about the SACD's until a year and a half ago when I purchased a center channel and two floor-standers and it just hit me that I had a 5.0 rig! Then I found AVS Forum had a Surround Sound forum and I started combing it for recommendations and just started buying up SACD's and DVD-A discs. Unfortunately, I didn't think to hit up Tower & HMV years ago when both were still open in Manhattan (as well as Tower Records). I knew of MFSL and DCC Gold CD's because I snatched up Metallica's Ride the Lightning from DCC like 10 years ago from some local CD shop in the West Village. Even though the market appears to be a bit dry, the used market (thanks to Amazon!) has helped me immensely in continuing to purchase MCH material.

This is a great thread! I started out in 2004/2005. I hit up a Stereophile show in midtown Manhattan, I believe it was held at the Hilton. I was checking out the vinyl and CD's they had on sale on the ground floor (they had quite a selection!) and I stumbled upon one merchant that had a slew of SACD's. So I grabbed Keb Mo's Just Like You and a handful of other SACD's (Jazz at the Pawn Shop among others). Single discs were $25, doubles were $50. I didn't have a SACD player, but I figured one day I'll have a rig to play them. I picked up an Oppo 980 a few years later and forgot about the SACD's until a year and a half ago when I purchased a center channel and two floor-standers and it just hit me that I had a 5.0 rig! Then I found AVS Forum had a Surround Sound forum and I started combing it for recommendations and just started buying up SACD's and DVD-A discs. Unfortunately, I didn't think to hit up Tower & HMV years ago when both were still open in Manhattan (as well as Tower Records). I knew of MFSL and DCC Gold CD's because I snatched up Metallica's Ride the Lightning from DCC like 10 years ago from some local CD shop in the West Village. Even though the market appears to be a bit dry, the used market (thanks to Amazon!) has helped me immensely in continuing to purchase MCH material.

The number of audio shows has dropped since then. But there are still shows like Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver, the ones in Newport Beach and Burlingame, California, and others (like CES this week in Vegas) where the audiophile stores like Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct exhibit and sell SACDs and DVD-As.

If you're not near a show, there is always the web sites of these 3 vendors where many Multichannel SACDs are still in stock and available for purchase just by filling out a form on the web.

Grab them while you can! :)

Hey- Yeah, I feel lucky to have gotten in at the ground level. Except for Last Waltz and STP Core, I have pretty much every Non-Jazz, Non-Classical "oriented" DVD-A/SACD (including Moment of Glory, and the 3 Groove Armada's) that came out THAT I WANTED TO OWN (and plenty that I look to now as unneeded purchases (Silverline-ers)). I loved hunting for discs EVERYWHERE! BB, CC, Rolling Stones, Fry's, FYE, Tower, et al. Player-wise, I started with the Pioneer 563-A, which was fine since I knew of nothing else for a baseline, sound quality-wise, then bumped up to the Denon 2900 (with Blue Jeans Cable analog connects), then went for the OPPO Universal Blu-Ray (via HDMI), and was aurally reborn once again. Waiting for my Beck Sea Change Blu-Ray to get my socks blown off once again. Thanks for all the pictures everyone!

Back