Sugarhill Gang

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it ever came out; title has languished in CD Universe as a coming DVD-A title for over two years.

Release date is listed as 'End of the world' so it shouldn't be much longer now. :smokin

I picked up a copy of this some time ago. However, it is a Silverline/Sanctuary release and not Rhino. Interestingly, the track listings are identical for the Silverline disc and the product description on Rhino's web page. Not sure what is going on here...

Where did you buy that? I think maybe Rhino was closing down on DVD-A right about then and maybe Silverline ended up with the master?

Silverline (usually) spells danger... so how is the mix?
- discrete
- unwrap
- stunning 5.1 mono

To be honest, I never got around to listening to it. It was still sitting in my "listening queue" when I packed everything up for storage while we're building our house.

The Rhino description claims that their product was mixed from the original multitrack master tapes. If Rhino did indeed sell off the rights to Silverline, then I assume its a decent product and not the more common fake Silverline surround.

I can't imagine that two separate companies in such a small DVD-A market would be working on the exact same title, and since the track listings match exactly, I would tend to agree with Tim's theory that Rhino simply sold off the rights to Silverline.

But what leaves me scratching my head is why the Rhino website still lists this thing! That's the part I just don't understand.

Sorry, but I can't remember exactly where I bought it. I remember it was through an overseas retailer. I think it was through Amazon U.K. even though it is a U.S. release! However, I could be remembering the details incorrectly. I do remember having trouble tracking it down after failing to get it through Rhino.

Wow... I guess I just assumed it never came out. Very interesting! I'll trade you my cassette of Vanilla Ice's---well, whatever that album was called---for that DVD-Audio of Sugar Hill Gang. Just kidding. I'd never part with that cassette.

Word to your mother!!! Peace. ---Kazaam

bumping this old thread becuase I'm interested in this title and haven't yet found a review.

Cai did you ever listen to this? Can anybody else comment on the sound and/or mix?

No, I haven't listened to it, but now that I have my system set back up I can! I'll try to remember to give it a spin tonight and report back.

Okay, I gave the Sugarhill Gang DVD-A a listen last night. Overall it is a mixed bag. This is a compilation of tracks from 1980 to 1984. All tracks after 1980 are obviously from the multi-tracks and the surround mixes are mostly adequate with a couple that are barely above average. There are no real standout mixes here.

The 1980 mixes are downright bad. I do not believe these are from the multi-tracks but I cannot tell for sure. Either they are really, really bad mixes from the multi-tracks or they are creatively synthesized from stereo, but I am inclined to believe the latter is the case. Either way, they suffer badly from too much echo and reverb layered in, which serve no other purpose than to annoy the listener and diffuse the fidelity. In other words, typical Silverline schlock.

Unfortunately, even the post-1980 tracks, which are obviously from discrete masters, suffer from reverb and echo pollution, although not to the extent of the 1980 tracks. There are only a couple of exceptions where the tracks come through relatively clean.

Still, this is an enjoyable disc that I believe is worth owning. Just don’t expect to be bowled over by the lackluster surround production.

Thanks for the details Cai, much appreciated!

I wonder if anyone will ever know about the Rhino/Silverline connection on this disc?

I imagine the production quality of these songs are not quite up to the "professionalism" we've come to expect from top of the line artists.

These guys were trailblazers, no doubt, but I'm thinking most of these tracks were done in cheap studios. And the audio quality of the day was good enough to play on AM and FM back in the day. But, the production probably doesn't stand up to 24-bit/96khz hi-res quality of the 21st century. :)

With that said, the Sugarhill Gang never sounded so good, and probably never will. While the surround is not as active as, say, the Grandmaster Flash disc, it's probably the first time I've heard distinct bass notes from these songs.

Well, got it today from UK... i'm highly biased on the songs presented here, was one of the first to spin systematically rap 12" on radio station, starting with the Fatback band. I'm halfway thru the disc and it's if you like "hot hot summer day" as me you must get it sooner than later.
Of course not everything could had been true surround - after all Rapper's delight was done with two stereo turntables, two 12" of Good Times and three mikes (and i still have the original first pressing 12" somewhere) - but this disc does shows that even rap can benefit from 5.1.
Not a 5.1 showcase disc but for sure a highly enjoyable release, at least for me.
Next is GMFlash...

Wasn't it actually done with a band? The Sugar Hill house band did an interpolation of Good Times and some other tune.

Okay, I gave the Sugarhill Gang DVD-A a listen last night. Overall it is a mixed bag. This is a compilation of tracks from 1980 to 1984. All tracks after 1980 are obviously from the multi-tracks and the surround mixes are mostly adequate with a couple that are barely above average. There are no real standout mixes here.

The 1980 mixes are downright bad. I do not believe these are from the multi-tracks but I cannot tell for sure. Either they are really, really bad mixes from the multi-tracks or they are creatively synthesized from stereo, but I am inclined to believe the latter is the case. Either way, they suffer badly from too much echo and reverb layered in, which serve no other purpose than to annoy the listener and diffuse the fidelity. In other words, typical Silverline schlock.

Unfortunately, even the post-1980 tracks, which are obviously from discrete masters, suffer from reverb and echo pollution, although not to the extent of the 1980 tracks. There are only a couple of exceptions where the tracks come through relatively clean.

Still, this is an enjoyable disc that I believe is worth owning. Just don’t expect to be bowled over by the lackluster surround production.
Is Rappers Delight the full 14 minute version on the DVD-A?

Is Rappers Delight the full 14 minute version on the DVD-A?
https://musicbrainz.org/release/ea7be5d9-460d-49b2-baf0-e43c7dd4024f
https://www.discogs.com/release/3233833-Sugarhill-Gang-Best-of-the-Sugarhill-Gang
Primary
Secondary, 2 of 3
Secondary, 3 of 3

Last edited:
Back