Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nine for me. Those Madonnas would have sounded fantastic, considering how good they sound in two channel (the sound, not the music so much).

How long before AF could do Jeff Beck's Wired (in Quad) since MFSL have got first dibs on it (stereo only of course).?

Unfortunately the Analogue Productions licensing of Wired takes if off the list of potential Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity for some time.

In the meantime, best to suggest other classic albums with 4.0 and 5.1 mixes that Analogue Productions and the other reissue labels haven't licensed or released.
Those are the ones that are candidates for an Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD today.

Unfortunately the Mobile Fidelity licensing of Wired takes if off the list of potential Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity for some time.

In the meantime, best to suggest other classic albums with 4.0 and 5.1 mixes that MFSL and the other reissue labels haven't licensed or released.
Those are the ones that are candidates for an Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD today.

I was corrected (by Keith Hirsch over @SHF while bemoaning the same) that the upcoming Wired SACD is on Analogue Productions, not MFSL. Still gonna be stereo only though. Meh.

Has any asked Dweezil Zappa about licencing Frank's quad mixes? Isn't One Size fits all sitting in the vaults?

I know the family did not want to produce their own surround issues due to 'no market', but if AF is doing all the work it is no hassle for them, they may reconsider.

CARS discs in surround are on my "bucket list" as well!...........maybe Elliott Scheiner can pull it off with his Audio Fidelity agreement?

"Wouldn't it be nice"

CARS discs in surround are on my "bucket list" as well!...........maybe Elliott Scheiner can pull it off with his Audio Fidelity agreement?

"Wouldn't it be nice"

Wouldn't it! :D I don't think the surround mixes were by Elliot Scheiner but either way if AF can pull this one off it'd be quite a coup!

"Wouldn't it be nice"

The ETrain initiative is all about releasing or reissuing HIS surround mixes, so if he didn't actually mix that particular album in surround, don't expect a release to happen that way.
Plus isn't "The Cars" already licensed out to Mobile Fidelity, which would make it near impossible for AF to also get a hold on it?

"Wouldn't it be nice"

The Cars album has already been licensed by Mobile Fidelity for release on Hybrid Stereo SACD. Oh well.

Oh I was under the impression "The Cars" was one of the SCHEINER not released mixed 5.1's,......so who did it, do you know?

And it's a slim chance for A F to release.............but who would of thought they could get the DOORS with all the other sacd Doors being issued?

You just never know what can occur until your surprised and A F continues to do that well!

I don't know who mixed it, and I'm not necessarily saying he didn't, but that's what ETrain is: ES's surround mixes (re)released through AF if/when licensing is available.
The Doors is a little bit of a different situation in that it was a different mix (comparative to "Perception") of a compilation that had never been released in any digital or high-res format.
For now I definitely wouldn't count on "The Cars" happening through AF.

I know I'm hoping for the impossible..........but if you could, Brian,.......ask if they can PENTEO the JOE WALSH.

Or if not a future consideration?

I don't mean to be crass (so I apologize in advance if I come off that way), but that to me is just as bad of an idea as when Universal utilized fan conversions from vinyl for the Rick Wakeman Quad DVD-As.
Audio Fidelity won't release any stereo or surround mix on their SACDs unless they can master it for the format from a quality source, and that's why their releases stand up as some of the best, because they don't settle for second-best sources and material.

I don't mean to be crass (so I apologize in advance if I come off that way), but that to me is just as bad of an idea as when Universal utilized fan conversions from vinyl for the Rick Wakeman Quad DVD-As.
Audio Fidelity won't release any stereo or surround mix on their SACDs unless they can master it for the format from a quality source, and that's why their releases stand up as some of the best, because they don't settle for second-best sources and material.

I know.......I know.....

Bit of a dumb request, but when we know there are no multi's or quad matrix??????
It 's a slippery slope. But what's the solution to this situation?
The more time passes the lesser we have access to master tapes.

Thanks :) What's the approximate window for licensing of these things? Are we talking years now before AF could do a Wired SACD, or is it all on an ad hoc/title by title/label by label/artist by artist basis?

We are likely talking years, if then.

I know.......I know.....

Bit of a dumb request, but when we know there are no multi's or quad matrix??????
It 's a slippery slope. But what's the solution to this situation?
The more time passes the lesser we have access to master tapes.

It's a slippery slope indeed, and it is unfortunate in some instances that tapes can't be found or are not in good enough shape for a digital transfer, but I firmly believe that in AF's case, they are doing the right thing by sticking only with albums that can be remastered and reissued from the master tapes themselves.
That's what gives these AF releases such an incredible sound that we all love, and they shouldn't compromise that just get to more product out there.
Cause for every album that's missing tapes, there are just as many or even more where tapes can be located and are in excellent condition for the needed work, so I say if they continue to stick with quality, I'll continue to stick with their business!

(Sidenote: I definitely do not mind an upmix or two on a surround album where the other tracks are discrete mixes, but it's rarely acceptable IMO for a surround album to be just an upmix.)

I was corrected (by Keith Hirsch over @SHF while bemoaning the same) that the upcoming Wired SACD is on Analogue Productions, not MFSL. Still gonna be stereo only though. Meh.

Analogue Productions did do some surround on a Brubeck title and the Doors but I guess they've gone back to a stereo only policy, sometimes 3-channel stereo, but not surround.

Back