Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the quad version is somewhat better.
I would love to hear the original Quad version of "Generation Landside" without the bad fade out at the end of that song which the Dvd-a has.

I think the quad mix is stunning in quality. There are the cool obvious mix differences, then the 4-channels done really well, then there is the sonics, the overall sound quality that is just wonderful.

I just did a 24/96 needle drop of the CD-4 LP the other night. As I ran it thorough ClickRepair I listened to many sections a half-dozen times, just blown away at the sound they got on this album.

If Marshall is dropping in to read this suggestion thread, please consider this repress upgrade, you'll have one of the most legendary quad masters to work with, a 10 on all levels. It will be like printing twenty-dollar bills all over again with this title.

Last edited:
If Marshall is dropping in to read this suggestion thread, please consider this repress upgrade, you'll have one if the most legendary quad masters to work with, a 10 on all levels. It will be like printing twenty-dollar bills allover again with this title.

Marshall does check in from time to time and finds the suggestions interesting and helpful. As to the "repress upgrade" idea, I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

If Audio Fidelity wants to release an album in a new format - let's say a Vinyl LP title as an SACD - then the licensing process starts from scratch for the new format.
Audio Fidelity must check to see if the album is available to be licensed in the new format. It it is, a new $ guarantee is negotiated, a new licensing deal is signed, etc.

So, Audio Fidelity - or any other reissue company for that matter - has to ask this question. Will they sell enough copies of the album in the new format to make their $ guarantee money back and make a profit above that?
This helps explain why the reissue companies always check to see whether the album has recently been reissued vs. an album that hasn't been reissued in years.
In the latter case (hasn't been reissued in a long time), the chances to make the $ guarantee back and make a profit are improved.

I remember reading that Rod Stewarts Atlantic Crossing was mixed for quad, and also that Madonnas first few albums had been mixed to 5.1 ready for DVD-A.

Donny Osmond remixed 'The Donny and Marie Show' to 5.1 for DVD - I wonder if he did the original albums and who owns them now? Was MGM / Polydor, but they had their own 'Kolob' record label..... Crazy Horses in 5.1.... Hmmm.........

Marshall does check in from time to time and finds the suggestions interesting and helpful. As to the "repress upgrade" idea, I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

If Audio Fidelity wants to release an album in a new format - let's say a Vinyl LP title as an SACD - then the licensing process starts from scratch for the new format.
Audio Fidelity must check to see if the album is available to be licensed in the new format. It it is, a new $ guarantee is negotiated, a new licensing deal is signed, etc.

So, Audio Fidelity - or any other reissue company for that matter - has to ask this question. Will they sell enough copies of the album in the new format to make their $ guarantee money back and make a profit above that?
This helps explain why the reissue companies always check to see whether the album has recently been reissued vs. an album that hasn't been reissued in years.
In the latter case (hasn't been reissued in a long time), the chances to make the $ guarantee back and make a profit are improved.

During the licensing process is AF(or another company)permitted to examine the source tapes BEFORE they pay the fees...or do they pay first and take their chances...

Quad Blocking was a direct reference to the 1975 WEA quad releases announced and never released. How this picked up any reference to AF in 2015 is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the licensing process is AF (or another company) permitted to examine the source tapes BEFORE they pay the fees...or do they pay first and take their chances...

Listening to the source tapes is part of the process. Audio Fidelity has taken a pass on some albums for that very reason (the tapes are in poor condition and have poor sound).

My guess is that A+M titles would fall under that category.

No, the A&M Quad Albums have tapes that can't be found.

There are albums on other labels where tapes are available, but are in poor condition and sound poor and are not licensed for Multichannel SACD release.

No, the A&M Quad Albums have tapes that can't be found.

There are albums on other labels where tapes are available, but are in poor condition and sound poor and are not licensed for Multichannel SACD release.

I'm surprised Universal would have even been open to discussions on the possibility of licensing A&M titles. Perhaps they never were, but were interested in what was on file in the vaults, took a look and saw little to nothing.

Often when I've been in a meeting and discussing the difficulty of getting a project through to fruition - the meeting ends with me being told to "Make it happen". They don't care what hoops I have to jump through, and they don't need to know, just that it happens. AND it happens!

How sad! I'd rather have an AF Quad SACD of All American Boy than a number of other old Quads. A hidden gem, or sleeper hit that's ripe for reappraisal today, I would suggest.. I shall be playing the SQ thru the Surround Master a lot during my Quad holiday! :banana:

To be honest, I'd love "All American Boy" in quad SACD as well. It's a hot punchy mix with dazzling guitar throughout. But I'm not sure it would be a big enough hit for AF. So I try and keep my requests to what would be a SACD sales home run. From the Sony library, Johnny, Edgar, BOC, Santana, Aerosmith, and from Sony/BMG Starship, Airplane, Nilsson, and even Guess Who Best Vol. 2 are far higher priority with greatest sale potential.

But I would like to hear this Rick Derringer decoded correctly, and see it out on AF SACD, and hear what you are hearing for the very first time in my life.

To be honest, I'd love "All American Boy" in quad SACD as well. It's a hot punchy mix with dazzling guitar throughout. But I'm not sure it would be a big enough hit for AF. So I try and keep my requests to what would be a SACD sales home run. From the Sony library, Johnny, Edgar, BOC, Santana, Starship, Airplane, Nilsson, and even Guess Who Best Vol. 2 are far higher priority with greatest sale potential.

But I would like to hear this Rick Derringer decoded correctly, and see it out on AF SACD, and hear what you are hearing for the very first time in my life.

Alright! You guys have been going on about Derringer's All American Boy for a few days now so you got me curious. I've just listened to the iTunes samples and I think that it feels like a pretty strong album and it offers a nice variety in the writing and playing. Count me in for a AF Quad SACD anytime!

Alright! You guys have been going on about Derringer's All American Boy for a few days now so you got me curious. I've just listened to the iTunes samples and I think that it feels like a pretty strong album and it offers a nice variety in the writing and playing. Count me in for a AF Quad SACD anytime!

Its the best guitar-led brain-dead rocker nobody's ever heard of! :D
I suspect it would do pretty well if the Quad were to be released on Surround SACD, it has that Classic rock feel and sound to it that many of us QQ-ers and the SHF-ers love.

To be honest, I'd love "All American Boy" in quad SACD as well. It's a hot punchy mix with dazzling guitar throughout. But I'm not sure it would be a big enough hit for AF. So I try and keep my requests to what would be a SACD sales home run. From the Sony library, Johnny, Edgar, BOC, Santana, Starship, Airplane, Nilsson, and even Guess Who Best Vol. 2 are far higher priority with greatesr sale potential.

And don't forget Aerosmith on that Sony list...

And don't forget Aerosmith on that Sony list...

Thank you, I corrected my post with this addition. We really need "Rocks" if nothing else in quad from this band since we have Toys on previous SACD. "Get Your Wings" is such an (original generation) fan favorite too.... I love that album!!!

Back