Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather they do the Quads of Live It Up/Heat Is On/Go For Your Guns/Harvest For The World/Survival/Family Reunion first but if they revisit 3+3 & Ship Ahoy instead deffo rejig the rears, yes! (y)

Good point... Unreleased in hi-rez titles would be my preference. ... The Heat is On is uber rare... that would be fantastic to get the AF/ Skinas treatment.. (y)

Good point... Unreleased in hi-rez titles would be my preference. ... The Heat is On is uber rare... that would be fantastic to get the AF/ Skinas treatment.. (y)

I've never heard any of them in Quad! To me they're all uber-doober-rare! :D

(oh and I'd love AF to do the O'Jays' "Message In The Music" Quad too, please!?!) :eek:

I hope not.
As much as I love both albums this is quickly becoming a " release albums already out on MC SACD (albeit OOP)" pattern.

I was thinking more of the other 7 (yes that's an almighty Seven!) Isley Brothers & O'Jays Quads that didn't make it to SACD back in the day, rather than Ship Ahoy & 3+3.

Check out my subsequent exchange here a couple of posts back with LizardKing <<< :)

I hope not.
As much as I love both albums this is quickly becoming a " release albums already out on MC SACD (albeit OOP)" pattern.

See Post #34 :)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by LizardKing
They could correct the rear channels too....

Posted by fredblue:
I'd rather they do the Quads of Live It Up/Heat Is On/Go For Your Guns/Harvest For The World/Survival/Family Reunion first but if they revisit 3+3 & Ship Ahoy instead deffo rejig the rears, yes! (y)

Next up from AF..

The Isleys & O'Jays in Quad! :wave

I couldn't agree with this more. Aside from most of these quad mixes being demo-quality material, they range between difficult and impossible to find in Q8 form, and go for a lot of money when they do show up. On top of that, a lot of the stereo versions of these titles only came out on CD during the peak years of the loudness wars so the only digital versions that exist have their dynamic range squashed and don't sound very good. These are the DR ratings of the stereo CD versions of the Isley Brothers and O'Jays albums that also have quad mixes, from my collection:

The Isley Brothers
1973 - 3+3 DR9
1974 - Live It Up DR9
1975 - The Heat Is On DR11
1976 - Harvest For The World DR11
1977 - Go For Your Guns DR9

The O'Jays
1973 - Ship Ahoy DR10
1974 - Live In London DR11
1975 - Family Reunion DR13
1975 - Survival DR9
1976 - Message In The Music DR12

Judging from what I've heard on vinyl, the Isleys stuff should be at least DR12 for the earlier albums rising to DR14 or 15 for the later ones and The O'Jays should be similar values, although maybe 1 or 2dB less. The Isleys remasters seem to suffer especially from really bloated bass on top of the compression too. This would be a golden opportunity to finally hear some of these albums in their full dynamic glory!

I would have problem with it. But would like to do some insider trading. Yea, let me know these are coming out before announcing it so I can sell my other ones for some good money first.

There'll always be someone who wants those OOP titles.. and the AF SACDs are limited jobs so they'll be OOP down the line as well.

I couldn't agree with this more. Aside from most of these quad mixes being demo-quality material, they range between difficult and impossible to find in Q8 form, and go for a lot of money when they do show up. On top of that, a lot of the stereo versions of these titles only came out on CD during the peak years of the loudness wars so the only digital versions that exist have their dynamic range squashed and don't sound very good. These are the DR ratings of the stereo CD versions of the Isley Brothers and O'Jays albums that also have quad mixes, from my collection:

The Isley Brothers
1973 - 3+3 DR9
1974 - Live It Up DR9
1975 - The Heat Is On DR11
1976 - Harvest For The World DR11
1977 - Go For Your Guns DR9

The O'Jays
1973 - Ship Ahoy DR10
1974 - Live In London DR11
1975 - Family Reunion DR13
1975 - Survival DR9
1976 - Message In The Music DR12

Judging from what I've heard on vinyl, the Isleys stuff should be at least DR12 for the earlier albums rising to DR14 or 15 for the later ones and The O'Jays should be similar values, although maybe 1 or 2dB less. The Isleys remasters seem to suffer especially from really bloated bass on top of the compression too. This would be a golden opportunity to finally hear some of these albums in their full dynamic glory!

I've got a mid-90's Japanese CD (SRCS 6463) and the iTunes download of "Live It Up" = both loud and bass-heavy :( ..I LOVE that album, I'd kill for a great-sounding stereo let alone Quad!!

Re: Heat Is On, Go For Your Guns, 3+3, Ship Ahoy & Family Reunion I've got the ZK ##### 80's CDs of all those albums (not easy to find in the UK let me tell yoooo!!) they're not loud or bass-heavy, they're all pretty good I reckon, though I still feel they could be bettered (and let's be havin the frickin Quad mixes!!)

O'Jays' "Survival" is another one like "Live It Up" and "Harvest For The World" = no earlier "ZK *****" CD mastering and the iTunes and Japanese 90's CD (SRCS 6370 in the case of "Survival") are the same loud, bass-boosted masterings, sadly. Survival I can almost understand being maybe a tad overlooked but the Isley's' "Harvest For The World".. come on man that's a stone cold classic, it deserves the Hi-Fi treatment!!

Hehehe- after listening (again) to the debut album from Sabbath today...I realize, even though their style may not bode well for hi-rez...something tells me that their debut disc BLACK SABBATH would be a winner in Quad....oh man...what I would pay for that!

Hehehe- after listening (again) to the debut album from Sabbath today...I realize, even though their style may not bode well for hi-rez...something tells me that their debut disc BLACK SABBATH would be a winner in Quad....oh man...what I would pay for that!

We all have our dreams...I still dream of a superb sounding Holy Diver disc...you realize it's been over 30 years since it's release...May of 1983...geeze...Rainbow In The Dark in surround..whoa...and of course Holy Diver...

I could die a happy, fat man if they somehow either unearthed an unreleased Backstabbers or remixed to 5.1
To finally get to hear Love Train and Backstabbers in Quad would be amazing.

We all have our dreams...I still dream of a superb sounding Holy Diver disc...you realize it's been over 30 years since it's release...May of 1983...geeze...Rainbow In The Dark in surround..whoa...and of course Holy Diver...

That is the one I want! AF already did the stereo CD, and Steve Hoffman commented Wendy Dio was very helpful, so it may be a possibility acquire the rights for a 5.1 remix?

I can't believe I haven't mentioned this yet...but absolutely ANYTHING from McCartney and Wings would be amazing in multichannel. To me...that would be a homerun of stellar proportions!!!

I would also like to hear some Parliament in Quad. That...would be interesting to say the least.

In that vain; Funkadelic Cosmic Slop isn't the best 4.0 mix, but I concur the notion. Either Parliament or Funkadelic would be great.

Listening to Jimmy Buffett's greatest hits....and realized how great some older Buffet in surround would be....probably just his hits would be excellent...covers all the bases.

I was listening to a DVD-A in the car this week that I made from the McCartney Years DVDs, and the surround mixes of songs like "Take it Away" are quite good, very discrete without hitting you over the head. I had not listened it in some time and it did not disappoint.

It's a damn shame that his archive collections for BOTR and V&M did not have HiRez surround mixes or downloads included. They stupidly showed a picture that indicated it was of the "quad 8-track" of BOTR in the accompanying book, but it was only the stereo 8 track, not the quad. CLUELESS

I sent an email to Mr. Blonstien - haven't gotten a reply, but wasn't really expecting one either.

I suggested:

Janis Joplin - Pearl
Raiders - Indian Reservation
Santana Abraxas or Greatest Hits
The Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night, White Trash*, Shock Treatment
David Essex - Rock On
Paul Simon - Self Titled Debut, There Goes Rhymin' Simon, Still Crazy After all these Years
The Guess Who - Best of Volume 2
The Best of The Doors
Eagles - On the Border, One of these Nights, Desperado*, Self-Titled Debut*
Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits, There's a Riot Going On*
The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy, Backstabbers*

* Announced/Unreleased - May/May not exist.

I agree that getting some of the unreleased Quads would be the biggest boost to sales of these discs could ever get. I suggested these ones as they are either monumental/classic albums that people cannot live without or the Quad mixes are just so intense that you simply can't ignore them.

I wouldn't suggest either McCartney Quads as the mixes just aren't that good. If they could persuade Macca to do brand new 5.1 mixes and released through them, now THAT would be an idea. Goodnight Vienna and Ringo would also be pretty neat.

EDGAR WINTER-WHITE TRASH /ROADWORK did exsist.

Audio magazine reviewed a copy of it; most likely a radio and review copy.
They even supplied the quad disc prefix #!

White Trash for sure existed or at least, did. Slated to be CAQ-30512, one of the first Columbia Q8's on the market. Yes, two versions exist on Mike Robin reels. As for Roadwork, that may or may not. I've never seen any evidence in either a tape catalog or stories of it being mixed. However, that's not to say it never was! That can't be confirmed either.

Back