Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The magazine article is from "Audio"(u.s.)

OCT 74 (pg 131)

They review a selection of the "Winter Bros."discs. And it is listed as;
WHITE TRASH/ROADWORK (two records)-EGQ-31249 (quad)

Fizz

31249 is the correct catalog number for the Roadwork album. Maybe it was once considered? Never seen the EGQ prefix before. Usually it was EAQ for Epic Tape, CAQ for Columbia tape, MAQ for Masterworks tape, ZAQ for Philly Int'l and some others, RAQ for Portrait, etc. LP's were EQ, CQ, MQ, AQ, RQ and later had a P added to make them PEQ, CEQ, etc.

Interesting that it may have at one point been considered for release! The fact that it was in '74 leads me to believe it was about the time they were going back and into the archives and releasing Quad albums they never had the chance or time to do when they were fresh.

I think there's probably some creedence to that theory. Take the first Santana album, which didn't come out in quad until around that time, yet an entry for it exists on the Mike Robin list of underground Columbia reels, along with the first (never released in quad) White Trash album. From what I can figure of that list, nothing on it is from later about late 1971, so it stands to reason that the mix for the first Santana album was done a few years before it was released. Roadwork could have easily have been mixed around the same time and sat on for a myriad of reasons. Perhaps the fact that it was a double album worked against it - aside from Chicago, Columbia didn't release a lot of double tape sets, and you have to imagine the profit margin on those would be a lot lower as they wouldn't be charging double price for two tapes. I imagine getting real estate in stores for quad product was probably hard enough, so they would want to make as much money from the space they did get.

ETA: About the EGQ prefix: I recall quad linda saying (please correct me if I'm wrong here) in another thread about Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew' on Q8 that the 'G' prefix was to denote a double album that had been edited down to a single album 'highlights'. Maybe the prefix EGQ was to denote Epic G (double album edited to single album) Quad?

Yes, was going to add two cents about the 'G' denoting a 2 record set. Don Ellis - Tears of Joy = same thing ; 2 LPs and no Q8 tape equivalent.

From QQ Happy New Year

any chance he may be interested in locating Supertramp's "Crime Of The Century" quad master?
that's their best album and really has become timeless masterpiece in rock genre, thus best seller guaranteed.

any chance he may be interested in locating Supertramp's "Crime Of The Century" quad master?
that's their best album and really has become timeless masterpiece in rock genre, thus best seller guaranteed.

The challenge there is that Universal just released a new version of Crime of the Century. Generally speaking, the goal at the remaster labels is to release albums that were not recently issued by other companies.

So I think a potential Multichannel SACD of "Crime of the Century" would have to wait.

Anyone hear heard Fireballet? GREAT stuff. Hard rock/ prog rock, quad mix.

We should be seriously concentrating on the SONY and WEA quad/never released quads.

We don't know if AUDIO FIDELITY has access to UNIVERSAL'S vault yet . (in as much as I would like supertramp)

We should be seriously concentrating on the SONY and WEA quad/never released quads.

We don't know if AUDIO FIDELITY has access to UNIVERSAL'S vault yet . (in as much as I would like supertramp)

Even more key would be to consider titles that have not recently been reissued by either the record company or a reissue label that also have a 4.0 or 5.1 mix.

Those are the albums that are most likely to move to the head of the consideration list.

I got a reply from Mr. Blonstein in regards to the list I sent him and his reply was that he and I were on the same page with a few of the titles I suggested. It was all down to a matter of licensing at this point. I was very happy to get a response! To me, that shows that AF is a company that is listening to the people who will purchase their ware. Keep in mind, one of the Al Kooper titles has already sold out! To me, that's also a good sign. If AF would pound the ground a little harder, maybe do some advertising, I think they'd have a killer program going.

I got a reply from Mr. Blonstein in regards to the list I sent him and his reply was that he and I were on the same page with a few of the titles I suggested. It was all down to a matter of licensing at this point. I was very happy to get a response! To me, that shows that AF is a company that is listening to the people who will purchase their ware. Keep in mind, one of the Al Kooper titles has already sold out! To me, that's also a good sign. If AF would pound the ground a little harder, maybe do some advertising, I think they'd have a killer program going.

Excellent. Marshall is a great guy to work with. And, without getting specific, a few of the titles on that list are indeed in the queue.... :)

what bothers me is his seemingly very personal preferences in selecting of titles.
don't get me wrong, i have nothing against listed titles. some of them i would buy myself but problem, i see is laid in quite
small and constantly shrinking segment of potential consumers base, who known this artists. there is no way to attract new
younger consumers by re-issuing not familiar for them, forgotten and mostly outdated acts.

Since this is the Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD releases, feel free to suggest some of the artists and albums you have in mind that have strong sales potential and appeal to younger consumers.

Audio Fidelity is listening.... :)

I don,t know if this has been suggested before but

Bridge over Troubled Waters the SQ mix is weak

A compilation of Henry Mancini CD4 LPs also Hugo Montenagro

John Lennon Imagine also SQ is weak

Back