Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me preface this by stating that I love what Dutton Vocalion is doing with their hires Quad SACD releases. I own 8 of them and can honestly say I enjoy them all.

When the new January 2019 batch hit, I was amazed that not a single title really appealed to my senses. I'm an old guy (62) but these titles seemed a bit to aged even for me. I've been closely following the polls regarding this batch and the overall response has been extremely low, if at all. I know that a number of my brothers and sisters here have purchased these titles and have posted positive comments, so why the nil level poll responses? Honestly, the only one I'll probably purchase is the Tomita Ravel.

Is this something Michael and DV will take note of? Again, I love and appreciate what they're doing, but I hope that the next batch contains material a bit more relevant to my tastes.

In a real general way, I can relate to what you're saying. I have about 30 of these, mostly covering the rock, country rock, soul/R & B, Jazz and a bunch of the 'easy listening' titles as well as quite a bit of the classical titles - I have pretty broad listening tastes. So, I'm wondering, do have any specific criticism(s) or are you just lamenting that they don't have more of what you would like?

The way I see it is that these easy listening-type releases are DV's main focus and we're lucky they've recently decided to wade outside their comfort zone and issue some awesome pop/rock/soul titles.

You also could look at it from the standpoint of quad preservation: If DV wasn't issuing these titles, I highly doubt anyone else would and they'd be relegated to the dustbin of history. To be honest, I'm surprised the masters for stuff like Hugo Montenegro's quads even still exist.

Every digital quad reissue is a victory for me, even if it's not a title I'm interested in. I've been into quad for a long time and I never dreamed this many titles would be reissued. Just think: for every person who's not happy with the selection of title, there's likely another that's overjoyed.

I'm still in absolute awe of what Mr. Dutton's managed to accomplish...even if the program ended tomorrow (I certainly hope not!), what they've done for our hobby thus far is unprecedented.

Last edited:
In a real general way, I can relate to what you're saying. I have about 30 of these, mostly covering the rock, country rock, soul/R & B, Jazz and a bunch of the 'easy listening' titles as well as quite a bit of the classical titles - I have pretty broad listening tastes. So, I'm wondering, do have any specific criticism(s) or are you just lamenting that they don't have more of what you would like?
I hear what you’re saying, but I consider myself to have a pretty broad listening spectrum too. I’m by no means a quad veteran and I’m not fully informed of the sources available to be mined, but I’ll continue to purchase the existing DV titles I want and don’t still have and await the next batch.

I'll admit, many of the "country" type titles, I don't really like either. I mean, I buy them and I don't listen to them (unless they have a hit or 2 that I know).

I find myself buying them because they remind me of better days....spending a week with my grandparents during grade school break.....they always had this sort of music playing on the radio. So for me, these titles are like rhubarb pie......or Sunday morning with pancakes and homemade warm syrup. :)

I'll admit, many of the "country" type titles, I don't really like either. I mean, I buy them and I don't listen to them (unless they have a hit or 2 that I know).

I find myself buying them because they remind me of better days....spending a week with my grandparents during grade school break.....they always had this sort of music playing on the radio. So for me, these titles are like rhubarb pie......or Sunday morning with pancakes and homemade warm syrup. :)

Brings back memories of my mother furiously baking rhubarb pies and infusing them with white raisins. Mmmm, GOOD! Thanks for those memories, Gene.

i have noticed that all the D/V release have been either CD4 or SQ or Q8
But no QS LPs
Why?

Probably because D~V has mainly concentrated on titles from SONY and its associated labels. QS was mostly adopted by titles now controlled by Universal [Impulse Jazz, ABC Dunhill, etc*]. Give them time.

From Wikipedia:

*The QS technology was freely licensed and was adopted by many record labels including ABC, Advent, BluesWay, Candide, Command, Decca, Impulse, Longines, MCA, Passport, Pye, Turnabout and Vox. Many recordings using this format were released on vinyl phonograph records during the 1970s.

BTW, the 7 QUAD SACDs produced by MoFi from classical label VOX/Turnabout were all originally QS encoded.

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
i have noticed that all the D/V release have been either CD4 or SQ or Q8
But no QS LPs
Why?

It's not a function of the format but instead the artists and record labels.
Not sure who owns Vox/Turnabout these days, but that is a possibility.

As for the ABC family of labels, now owned by Universal Music, that is more problematic given that even Universal is having a difficult time finding Surround Sound tapes these days.

Honestly, the only one I'll probably purchase is the Tomita Ravel.

Is this something Michael and DV will take note of? Again, I love and appreciate what they're doing, but I hope that the next batch contains material a bit more relevant to my tastes.
I agree 100%. I'm hoping that the next batch strikes my fancy to a larger degree. I'd planned to place a good size order to be topped off with several new titles - but Tomita was the only one I wanted from the last batch. So I'm holding off just a bit until the April splash of goodies.

Knowing it takes a long while to get these SACDs licensed, mastered, and pressed up, things might come out that have been worked on for many months or a year. A real surprise could appear that was brewing for a long time.

It would be nice if Rhino or another label would cough up something cool while we're waiting. Santana caravanseria or Welcome from Sony Japan I sense is coming eventually. And Animals 5.1 will be exciting. There are a few nice ones besides the upcoming atttactions from D/V.

Let me preface this by stating that I love what Dutton Vocalion is doing with their hires Quad SACD releases. I own 8 of them and can honestly say I enjoy them all.

When the new January 2019 batch hit, I was amazed that not a single title really appealed to my senses. I'm an old guy (62) but these titles seemed a bit to aged even for me. I've been closely following the polls regarding this batch and the overall response has been extremely low, if at all. I know that a number of my brothers and sisters here have purchased these titles and have posted positive comments, so why the nil level poll responses? Honestly, the only one I'll probably purchase is the Tomita Ravel.

I kind of felt the same way, but I feel like they have access to a particular market sector that's underserved and were able to make a huge dent in the availability of quad records for that market. I feel like the requests for more hard rock are getting a bit old at this point - we might get a few more obscurities, but I'm not expecting anything that's a really commercial title.

Of course, I fully expect that to be confounded in April, but I feel like being realistic about what DV does is the best strategy.

I kind of felt the same way, but I feel like they have access to a particular market sector that's underserved and were able to make a huge dent in the availability of quad records for that market. I feel like the requests for more hard rock are getting a bit old at this point - we might get a few more obscurities, but I'm not expecting anything that's a really commercial title.

Of course, I fully expect that to be confounded in April, but I feel like being realistic about what DV does is the best strategy.
I like hard rock, but I'm not looking for D-V to focus on that genre or any other specific genre for that matter. It's just that this last batch, Tomita aside, was better suited for my parents (who are in their late 90s) than me. I look forward to the next batch!

I perused surrounddiscography's informative quad title archive and, without unrealistically dealing with licensing concerns, the following are some of the quad titles I wouldn't mind seeing released in hires by Michael Dutton and D-V:

Hot Tuna - America's Choice & Yellow Fever
Nektar - Remember The Future
Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul & American Woman - Can't even imagine Friends Of Mine in quad!!!
Focus - Moving Waves
Passport - Hand Made
Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
Larry Coryell & Eleventh House - Introducing Eleventh House
Eric Burden - Sun Secrets
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Rare Earth - Get Ready
Argent - In Deep
Cat Stevens - Any
Harvey Mandel - Get Off In Chicago
Dave Mason - Dave Mason
Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch & Roll Live
Curtis Mayfield - Get Back To The World
Wes Montgomery - Greatest Hits
Ohio Players - Skin Tight
Stephen Stills - Stills
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk

The quad mixes for A&M, Impulse and ABC -- the bulk of the more interesting QS releases -- were likely lost in the Universal vault fire. There were exceptions: Ray Charles Bluesway reverted to Ray Charles Enterprises and the Jim Croce catalog was returned to Cashman and West.

I perused surrounddiscography's informative quad title archive and, without unrealistically dealing with licensing concerns, the following are some of the quad titles I wouldn't mind seeing released in hires by Michael Dutton and D-V:

Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul & American Woman - Can't even imagine Friends Of Mine in quad!!!
Focus - Moving Waves
Passport - Hand Made
Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Rare Earth - Get Ready
Argent - In Deep
Cat Stevens - Any
Dave Mason - Dave Mason
Stephen Stills - Stills
This strikes me as a reasonable list, mostly. Which of these are controlled by Sony?

Focus - Moving Waves
Passport - Hand Made
Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Rare Earth - Get Ready
Argent - In Deep
Cat Stevens - Any
Dave Mason - Dave Mason
Stephen Stills - Stills

the Stephen Stills "Stills" Quad was done on DTS CD. its out of print now but copies can 'still' be found.

Back