Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the encouraging update on D~V's committment to releasing more multichannel discs ..... across ALL genres.

I think one of the most discouraging aspects to Surround Lovers EVERYWHERE is not knowing what is ACTUALLY available for release from the majors either due to lost/damaged masters or licensing snafus due to artist's opposition to re~releasing them in multichannel and why major labels like Warner/Rhino and Universal are still sitting on those aging Quad/5.1 masters for whatever [to me, incomprehensible] reasons.

I really think this third wave of interest in multichannel has been sparked by the ubiquity of the Universal Player which, of course, was not extant during the early 00 wave. Even with OPPO out of business, thousands [maybe even millions] of them are in homes worldwide and hardware manufacturers SONY, Pioneer, etc are still releasing Universal players ....... so this third wave has seen a robust committment to multichannel releases ...... from unexpected camps as well [The Beatles, Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Be Bop Deluxe, etc.] and since US Reissue Companies, MoFi and AP have little or NO interest in multichannel and with [sadly] Audio Fidelity out of business .... the mantle now lies with UK's Dutton Vocalion who have, in a short span of time, released more multichannel releases than all the other reissue companies combined [which Steelydave has touched upon and which I've been saying for the past few years].

With SACD multichannel classical releases in no short supply these days, we do look to D~V for more popular fare and hopefully, in time, Rhino/Warner and Universal will see the light and form an alliance with them because as we're all well aware, these 'Waves' don't last forever.

Not to get too far of topic here, but it is surprising that Rhino doesn’t release more quad out the Warner vaults. It’s not as if they have to license the titles and so much of what Rhino does is attention paid to niche markets as it is.

Doesn’t Warner run “Run Out Groove” records where new releases are decided upon essentially based on pre orders and demand because people voted for the release? Most of which are titles that quite obscure. Would sure love to see them do something similar for MC reissues.

I think George Jones / Tammy Wynette, Jerry Reed, or Waylon Jennings would have more votes than Dottie West. That title is not a strong indicator of the interest in Country. But no, not as hot as that gawd damned rock & roll.

If this forum and our polls are any indicator, the demand for the easy listening and country titles is nowhere near what it is for the rock/pop titles. “Breakaway” has 44 votes; the Dottie West title has 3.

Keep sending "ideas" to Dutton-Vocalion. They are not going to reply to each individual correspondence (unless there's an issue with an order or there's a real question), because they honestly do not have time to send out a reply saying "Great choice, we'll check into it", or something like that, to everyone who writes in. However, I am sure they are taking note of all of the titles that fans suggest. If you send in Aerosmith or Pink Floyd, you are wasting your time. These high profile artists are very expensive to license and they are not the type of act D-V needs to release.

There are so many things that need to happen to get a title licensed and for every one that makes it out into the market I would bet there are 20 or 30 that either came "this close" or were at least planned but got torpedoed by a lawyer, and artist, a suit, a lost tape, or something stupid like they forgot the combination to the vault! :)

Right now pickings appear to be slim, hang in there and let time (and Michael) do their thing.

Keep sending "ideas" to Dutton-Vocalion. They are not going to reply to each individual correspondence (unless there's an issue with an order or there's a real question), because they honestly do not have time to send out a reply saying "Great choice, we'll check into it", or something like that, to everyone who writes in. However, I am sure they are taking note of all of the titles that fans suggest. If you send in Aerosmith or Pink Floyd, you are wasting your time. These high profile artists are very expensive to license and they are not the type of act D-V needs to release.

There are so many things that need to happen to get a title licensed and for every one that makes it out into the market I would bet there are 20 or 30 that either came "this close" or were at least planned but got torpedoed by a lawyer, and artist, a suit, a lost tape, or something stupid like they forgot the combination to the vault! :)

Right now pickings appear to be slim, hang in there and let time (and Michael) do their thing.

Over the years, D~V has released literally hundreds of Stereo RBCD London Phase 4 reissues [two~fers] which is NOW controlled by Universal Music Group. Yes, they have released a few Universal QUADS [Paul Mauriat] but surprised Universal hasn't come on board with D~V to release what QUAD/5.1 titles are still in their vaults.

Very surprised, as well, that D~V hasn't reissued any of the MANY QUAD titles previously released as Quad Open Reels by London Phase 4. IMO, some of them are exceptional recordings [like The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Hermann].

Over the years, D~V has released literally hundreds of Stereo RBCD London Phase 4 reissues [two~fers] which is NOW controlled by Universal Music Group. Yes, they have released a few Universal QUADS [Paul Mauriat] but surprised Universal hasn't come on board with D~V to release what QUAD/5.1 titles are still in their vaults.

Very surprised, as well, that D~V hasn't reissued any of the MANY QUAD titles previously released as Quad Open Reels by London Phase 4. IMO, some of them are exceptional recordings [like The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Hermann].

hi Ralphie, DV have done a couple more Universal-licensed Quads besides the Paul Mauriat's, the Swingle Singers (amazing surround mix!) and the Ray Davies And The Button Down Brass Exorcist/French Connection/The Sting & Flashpoint 2-fer, so i think they are on the case, so to speak! :geek:

hi Ralphie, DV have done a couple more Universal-licensed Quads besides the Paul Mauriat's, the Swingle Singers (amazing surround mix!) and the Ray Davies And The Button Down Brass Exorcist/French Connection/The Sting & Flashpoint 2-fer, so i think they are on the case, so to speak! :geek:

How very true, Mr. Blue. I really want the Mystic Moods Orchestra's first two albums, One Stormy Night and Nighttide [originally on the Philips Label with reputed QUAD remixes] to be reissued by D~V. The former contains exquisite sound effects recorded by MoFi's Brad Miller and IMO would sound fantastic in QUAD. Highest Class Schmaltz [for this aging hipster]!

Pink Floyd have just about released all of their quads by now, didn't you hear about it? :ROFLMAO::p:D:cool:;):giggle:

Last edited:
How very true, Mr. Blue. I really want the Mystic Moods Orchestra's first two albums, One Stormy Night and Nighttide [originally on the Philips Label with reputed QUAD remixes] to be reissued by D~V. The former contains exquisite sound effects recorded by MoFi's Brad Miller and IMO would sound fantastic in QUAD. Highest Class Schmaltz [for this aging hipster]!
My guess is Patricia would re licence Mystic Moods if it makes her some money. She was re upping a few railroad titles so why not.

If DV can license the Mystic Moods from Patricia that would increase the likelihood of the albums appearing on DV.
Great idea. :)

are there many Mystic Moods Quads left that didn't see DTS-CD release?

"Love The One You're With" is one of their Quads that i remember not happening on DTS-CD.

My wet dream DV release is the unreleased Quad of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Apocalypse". It would fit their bill quite nicely - semi-obscure but still a potential seller, it's got orchestra, it needs an audiophile treatment, and the unreleased Quad would be a great selling point. It has also been licensed to another reissue label previously (can't remember which), but that was just a plain CD.

My wet dream DV release is the unreleased Quad of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Apocalypse". It would fit their bill quite nicely - semi-obscure but still a potential seller, it's got orchestra, it needs an audiophile treatment, and the unreleased Quad would be a great selling point. It has also been licensed to another reissue label previously (can't remember which), but that was just a plain CD.

That would be in their wheelhouse...just saying..

Back