Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do know the Stereo/RBCD layers are SQ encoded.

The stereo/cd layers should have a total of 6 tracks: the stereo album and the SQ-encoded album. Very cool of Dutton to throw that in. I’m actually really looking forward to seeing how good an SQ decode from a non-vinyl source can sound.

as i said to The56Kid in the "what's your latest DVD-A/SACD?" QQ thread, i made note of the nice artwork on display in this latest batch, together with fabulous liner notes throughout including another superb write up from our own steelydave (David Zimmerman) in the Guess Who 2-fer and excellent essays from Mojo & Record Collector magazine's Charles Waring in the Donald Byrd, MFSB and Herbie Hancock releases! i think DV have taken things up a notch in the presentation quality stakes. i also notice a credit to the legendary Robert Vosgien of Capitol Studios in the Donald Byrd SACD.. Quadio's rebirth appears to be in full swing! 🤩🥳

I’d take a Q8 dub over an SQ decode any day of the week.

if its a Q8 dub its the best f-in' Q8 i've ever heard, they must've enlisted AOQ to do it on his Teac or steelydave to do it on his Fostex! or maybe they found some untouched safety copy of the Quad master because this is seriously good.

tbh idk why they even fessed up about it, would anybody have been any the wiser it wasn't the absolute master!? speaks to the integrity of Michael J Edgar Hoover Dyson Dutton! 🎩🎖

uh oh! Herbie, i've gone Sextant bananas!!! this is batshit, maybe even a bit bullshit -- but i like it! 😵👾

Though I have yet to receive my D-V order, thanks to a kind fellow member I've been able to check out the multichannel content of the Sextant disc - I'm happy to report that this is most definitely the discrete mix, not a decode of any kind.

Here's the first 1:30 of "Rain Dance" from both a Q8 conversion and the new SACD.

Q8:
raindance_Q8.jpg

SACD:
raindance_sacd.jpg

I have to agree with Adam - if D-V didn't say anything about missing tapes, we'd probably be none the wiser. I dare say this actually sounds better than AF's transfer of the Thrust quad.

Last edited:
if its a Q8 dub its the best f-in' Q8 i've ever heard, they must've enlisted AOQ to do it on his Teac or steelydave to do it on his Fostex! or maybe they found some untouched safety copy of the Quad master because this is seriously good.

tbh idk why they even fessed up about it, would anybody have been any the wiser it wasn't the absolute master!? speaks to the integrity of Michael J Edgar Hoover Dyson Dutton! [emoji145][emoji954]

uh oh! Herbie, i've gone Sextant bananas!!! this is batshit, maybe even a bit bullshit -- but i like it! [emoji43][emoji451]

Ah hahaha. Freaking hilarious!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I have yet to receive my D-V order, thanks to a kind fellow member I've been able to check out the multichannel content of the Sextant disc - I'm happy to report that this is most definitely the discrete mix, not a decode of any kind.
I have to agree with Adam - if D-V didn't say anything about missing tapes, we'd probably be none the wiser. I dare say this actually sounds better than AF's transfer of the Thrust quad.

A safety copy located somewhere else, but where? IIRC the HH quads were a USA-only releases, so i can''t figure out from which vault it may came.

tbh idk why they even fessed up about it, would anybody have been any the wiser it wasn't the absolute master!? speaks to the integrity of Michael J Edgar Hoover Dyson Dutton! 🎩🎖

uh oh! Herbie, i've gone Sextant bananas!!! this is batshit, maybe even a bit bullshit -- but i like it! 😵👾

Talk about 'sucking up' to D~V, Adam. Profoundly grateful SEXTANT gets Li'l Rocketman's ultimate Seal of Approval! And yes, Michael's honesty is refreshing ... to a fault but whoever said they'd prefer a Q8 dub to an SQ master of SEXTANT [and YOU know who YOU are] should be tarred and feathered [preferably with a chic boa].

See the source image

Last edited:
A safety copy located somewhere else, but where? IIRC the HH quads were a USA-only releases, so i can''t figure out from which vault it may came.

No idea - it does seem to have a bit more tape hiss than both the stereo and SQ-encoded mixes. Whatever it is, it's discrete and it sounds better than any previous version of the quad mix I've heard. I think members waiting on this one won't be disappointed :)

No idea - it does seem to have a bit more tape hiss than both the stereo and SQ-encoded mixes. Whatever it is, it's discrete and it sounds better than any previous version of the quad mix I've heard. I think members waiting on this one won't be disappointed :)

If Sony/Columbia (whatever they are this week) is any kind of record company with an inkling of responsibility, they should have Safety Copies. Depending on how anally retentive their vault attendant is/was/will be, S.O.P. is to retain tapes like duplication masters. You would think it highly unlikely that they would hold onto a 40+ year old, dead format duplication Master - but stranger things have happened. In this case, since the actual master is destroyed or lost, having the duplication masters paid off.

I think in this day and age of SO much stuff being lost, destroyed or stolen; some record companies are quite grateful to get stuff like that back. It was probably sitting at an old tape duplicator for years until the place shut down and somebody had the wherewithal to realize that tape had value and return it to Sony/Columbia.

A
If Sony/Columbia (whatever they are this week) is any kind of record company with an inkling of responsibility, they should have Safety Copies. Depending on how anally retentive their vault attendant is/was/will be, S.O.P. is to retain tapes like duplication masters. You would think it highly unlikely that they would hold onto a 40+ year old, dead format duplication Master - but stranger things have happened. In this case, since the actual master is destroyed or lost, having the duplication masters paid off.

I think in this day and age of SO much stuff being lost, destroyed or stolen; some record companies are quite grateful to get stuff like that back. It was probably sitting at an old tape duplicator for years until the place shut down and somebody had the wherewithal to realize that tape had value and return it to Sony/Columbia.

Agree 150% Q~VIII but from all the statistics I've read, all the majors are severely short staffed and to do every master reel [including outtakes, multis,etc] would severely tax an already understaffed industry.

I realize as they should ..... this is a LEGACY that needs to be addressed and cared for.

They should allocate the funds for 'educated' personnel which also includes proper labeling/coding of all their intellectual property which could take years....but would be money indeed well spent!

Must easier SAID than DONE!

Last edited:
I have leftover jewel cases from CD-Rs, no problem if there's a couple cracked ones.

Although they've gotten their hands on a few old RCA CD4 titles, most seem to be light orchestra/Mancini/elevator music sort or Tomita electronica. I've got many of them in my CD4 collection. I wonder if there's a future chance of seeing more A-list CD4's like the Jefferson Airplane's, Gordon Lightfoot, Seals & Crofts, Joni Mitchell come to mind. Add Tomita's Snowflakes are Dancing to the list too. Those would be an awesome set of releases. I could finally retire a few CD4 LP's!

The titles I ordered were Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Chick Corea, George Benson, Chase, Coltraine/Santana plus Garfunkel Breakaway. No classical this time. Maybe order #2 :)

Jefferson Airplane may be a possibility but the others were on Reprise (Lighfoot), Warner (Seals & Crofts) & Elektra (Joni Mitchell) so unless Vocalion can strike up a licencing deal with Warner/Rhino those seem less likely.. but i'd love to see them all reissued in surround someday!

^^
Yup you're right. Good titles, wrong label - not RCA. Sorry, I should've looked at them after yrs of being in a LP rack ;)

A different suggestion for D-V and a question:
1) I'm extra happy with the two-fer, would be good if from the D-V site would be possible to download the artwork for the SEPARATE album, with the SACD and Vocalion logo. At present time i'm doin'it by hand, since i prefer to have all album as standalone, even on twofers or threefers (the most fun was to separate the 5 original album from a 2-CD uk release of KC & Sunshine Band...)
2) I've ripped the disc now and MFSB has a weird authoring namescheme: on track 8 "Morning Tears", it does appear authored as "Wansel Morning Tears", while track 7 appears rightly as "When your love is gone". BOTH tracks n the traycard has "featuring Dexter Wansel", so i wonder why track 7 has no mention of Wansel and track 8 does. This is true for both stereo and quad layers.

Back