Superscope QA-450

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read an article a long time ago. Wish I could remember all the details. I recall that Superscope was tied into Marants in some way and that Superscope sold the budget models.

My database is woefully lacking in details about Superscope but I show that amp as having 10 watts RMS per channel.

Many of the Superscope goodies did have attractive displays.

I would rate the Superscope goodies as mid-level offerings akin to Sherwood and Kenwood.

10 watts may not be much but for some listening purposes that is more than adequate, especially with efficient speakers.

I bought a cheap Technics quad receiver just for use in the garage. A cheapo unit may be just whatcha' need for secondary listening.

I'd ask the lister what the controls offer. My database states the unit has SQ and Ambience settings but I can't verify that since I haven't actually seen this unit.

Interestingly, the database tells of a similar receiver, the QR-450 with the same specs: 10 watts, SQ, Ambience. I don't have a date of manufacture. Later dates tend to have better decoders.

I haven't seen too many of these critters around. I have one listing where a prior unit sold for $29 on eBay. Some folks collect quad goodies. If you can get it cheap it would make an attractive addition, especially at night when the lights give that "Superscope look" that many Marants units also possess.

I have a QRT-440 with the receiver and eight track. It has SQ and CD-4 capabilities, though I have never really used the system for anything but the eight track player, which I play through my Sansui.

I had to buy this purely for the wild magenta pink lights on the face. I remember seeing these when I was young, and thought, 'how cool'! For a neat piece of vintage equipment, I would say go ahead, though I'm sure it isn't anything top of the line by a long shot. If you're looking for something that will decode a qaud sound and looks neat-this is it. I hope someone else can give you the low down on the system.

Thanks for the info guys...

Since I posted this question I've seen four or five eBay auctions stating... Marantz Superscope or Superscope Marantz... I thought I'd bid on it but I'm a little on cash right now... New computer will do it every time especially those flat screen monitors... Ha...

Later, Brent

Obbop said:
I read an article a long time ago. Wish I could remember all the details. I recall that Superscope was tied into Marants in some way and that Superscope sold the budget models.

I remember being told that Superscope started as Sony's brand used for importing tape recorders, and changed hands to finally be owned by Marantz. Wish I knew more of the details.

Obbop said:
My database is woefully lacking in details about Superscope but I show that amp as having 10 watts RMS per channel.

Many of the Superscope goodies did have attractive displays.

I would rate the Superscope goodies as mid-level offerings akin to Sherwood and Kenwood.

10 watts may not be much but for some listening purposes that is more than adequate, especially with efficient speakers.

I bought a cheap Technics quad receiver just for use in the garage. A cheapo unit may be just whatcha' need for secondary listening.

I'd ask the lister what the controls offer. My database states the unit has SQ and Ambience settings but I can't verify that since I haven't actually seen this unit.

Interestingly, the database tells of a similar receiver, the QR-450 with the same specs: 10 watts, SQ, Ambience. I don't have a date of manufacture. Later dates tend to have better decoders.

I have a QR-450 reciever. I think it's basicly the same as the QA-450, with a tuner, from what I can see from the ebay picture. Mine has been a really good reciever. The 10 watts per channel seems kinda low, mine always seemed to have plenty of power, I even ran my Sansui tower speakers off of it for a while. The SQ and Ambience settings aren't much, no logic, but I had a DVD-A player, Q4, and Q8 decks hooked up, so I didn't really care. It seems pretty well designed too, a good number of inputs, including a tape loop, an option of 2 channel parallel (something a lot of the cheaper recievers seem to lack for some reason), etc.

-Dan

Can't go wrong for $20.00 asking AND final price.

Back