Surround Records to release Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad to let you know that our first Blu-ray title "Grieg - Piano Concerto / Symphonic Dances / In Autumn - Acoustic Reality Experience" scheduled for release on April 25. The idea behind our first release is to bring attention of new Blu-ray Community to Surround Music by featuring one of the finest classical recording now presented in 7.1 Surround Sound.
Besides our Classical releases I am also working on the new electronic music album produced for 7.1 audio experiences to be released on Blu-ray.
I will be glad if my work will raze interest to surround music and explore new horizons of sound.

That is good news Alexander and now there will be millions of players in consumers's hands finally that can decode DTS-HD MA with the PS3 update. I hope Blu-ray is a smashing success for Surround Records since Blu-ray is the surround format I am hoping finally finds traction in the marketplace.

Chris

I would like to give a little update to our current development.

This summer you will see all our HD DVD titles released in Blu-ray format also we are going to present number of famous classical recordings on Blu-ray with lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA surround sound.
Some of our titles will feature HD video track however some titles will be Audio Only.

I am also working with other labels to release more Audio Titles in Blu-ray Format. So you can spread the word ;)

Alexander.

I would like to give a little update to our current development.

This summer you will see all our HD DVD titles released in Blu-ray format also we are going to present number of famous classical recordings on Blu-ray with lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA surround sound.
Some of our titles will feature HD video track however some titles will be Audio Only.

I am also working with other labels to release more Audio Titles in Blu-ray Format. So you can spread the word ;)

Alexander.

Thanks for the update, Alexander! :banana:

I am glad to announce that I am finally on the last stage of production of Mahler
Symphony No. 2 in C minor "Resurrection" performed by Robert-Schumann-Philharmonic and conducted by Oleg Caetani.
Source material for this project was originally recorded by one of the greatest European Audio Engineer Michael Sibelich at 24 bit / 96k resolution.

This is my thirst attempt to apply my 3-D sound reality mixing concept previously developed using sampled and synthesized instruments to real classical acoustic recording.
The disc will feature 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and should be available for preorder by the end of the month.

Here all very interesting mailings. But I think, 7.1 is too much for the only audio Blu Ray. Even by homecinema owners is 7.1 accepted only by 10%. For my opinion it is more inmteresting, how the surround mix is done. Purists like further on music in the front channels and for rear only some reverberation and by live recordings only noises from the audience like applause and sometimes cough.
But Surround is in first line creativity and a further step of artist possibilities. So I think, the music must sound from all directions. Only that is for music surround-sound. And also by listening live recorded concerts at home: You are not there - you are sitting in a comfortable easy chair by a complete different situation. So it is allouwed to create for the home listener new sound worlds, which will kidnap your ears in new artistic dimensions. And the best: It is not an artifitial sound. Our ears are especially made therefore. I have hope, that the sound engineers will more and more detect the meaning, what surround really is, and the producers will allow this. Some engineers by pop surround productions have already shown their surround talents. And for example - the Blu Video Ray of "Earth, Wind and Fire included Chicago" has already a very good surround sound from a stage concert - and Roy Orbinson's "Black and White" too.

Dietrich

Very comprehensive post Dietrich. :)
Trust me I spend more than 15 years developing creative solutions for surround sound mixing and know exactly that "Real Surround" is.
I am not here to monopolize the media.
Home theater owners already know the difference and advantages of 7.1 surround sound that is becoming a standard feature of blu-ray home theater set-up. I just doing my job delivering this music experience and answering needs of the new generation of listeners.

Last edited:
This is one of my favourite pieces of classical music (Mahler's 2nd) and I just became 7.1 capable (having acquired 2 floor standing speakers for the back that have drivers that match my other speakers in the set and of course a 7.2 receiver to attach them to). So this looks like a good candidate for music in 7.1.

Hello Alexander, my view of surround possibilities is here not against you. I wellcome all new activities in this secition especcialy by surround-music. But as surround-fan from the 70's I and other fans are the consumers with the most disappointments through the steps af unsuccessful surround developments and experiments. And I am afraid, that the 8 channels of 7.1 will be the same barrier for an surround breakthrough, as the 4 was in the 70's. Think to the so called WAF (wife acceptance factor). So I must wonder, that DTS will create next year the 10.2 surround technic. Even for most homecinema fans unacceptable. And especially the same for the many music listeners with till now 2 channel sets.

This will for my opinion mean, that only simplicity by surround (handling and channels) will have a chance for a real breakthrough on the market. And by reading some statements in internet forums from owners of homecinema-sets they most wellcome many channels and specialties, but by music they prefere further on the 2 channel reproduction. That means, that this group of surround-fans is not the really target group for surround music. Further on it is the majority group of the till now listener of the meanwhile ancient 2-channel music. This is my own sight of the situation but I think also a lot of the quadrphonic fans. Of course I am not clairvoyant. I would wellcome also 7.1. and 10.2, when it has a big success (for me private then stripped down to 4-channel as also now).

I know till now only the surround sound of your "Uncommon Mozart" of DVD-Audio which sound really surround in a quadraphonic manner. So I am interested to listen to your new an classical surround productions as I have done with those from the label L2 or Tacet (hope to find them by Amazon etc.). I think, especially we quadraphonic fans are further on the hardest fighter in front line for surround-sound. There may different sights, but I wish you a well succes with your coming surround-sound productions also in your style. We will see, how all new activities will run.

Best wishes from

Dietrich

Of course Dietrich,
That why in my work is based on collaborative efforts with many technology providers and different mixing techniques are used to deliver to listeners best surround presentation of recording material showcasing new horizons of sound reproduction.

Last edited:
Hello Alexander,
meanwhile I own 2 of your classical productions with real orchestras("Wagner - Overtures & Preludes" and "Vivaldi - The Four Seasons"). After listening I can confirm, that the sound is really around, which means, that in front and back different parts of the instruments sound. May be, that this is the original surround-Mix or a result of my mixdown from 7.1. to 5.1 and further to 4.0 So may the channels of mid left and mid right (as by 7.1) are shifting to rear left and rear right . Now it would interesting for me to know, which was the original sound: A sound panorama from the orchestra and only reverberation in the back channels or the sound, which I could listen after the downmix inside the Blu Ray Player to 5.1/4.0 . I am always curious general and especially about your surround-sound philosophy.

Dietrich

Hello Alexander,
meanwhile I own 2 of your classical productions with real orchestras("Wagner - Overtures & Preludes" and "Vivaldi - The Four Seasons"). After listening I can confirm, that the sound is really around, which means, that in front and back different parts of the instruments sound. May be, that this is the original surround-Mix or a result of my mixdown from 7.1. to 5.1 and further to 4.0 So may the channels of mid left and mid right (as by 7.1) are shifting to rear left and rear right . Now it would interesting for me to know, which was the original sound: A sound panorama from the orchestra and only reverberation in the back channels or the sound, which I could listen after the downmix inside the Blu Ray Player to 5.1/4.0 . I am always curious general and especially about your surround-sound philosophy.

Dietrich
You can buy the original 5.1 releases on SACD.

Kal

Hello Kal, nice your tip for buying additional SA-CD's of the same production. But for an ask I don't like to spend money. As Alexander has wrote before to me, I think, he will do it self also now. I prefere by classic-Surround a real around sound and not (unfortunately often also in the 70's) Stereo plus reverberation from behind. That should named "Stereo R". So you have now an answer without asking me. Further well working by stereophile.

Dietrich

Producing our titles we are following industry standard set up for speaker placement applied to 7.1 Surround Sound but they can be experienced in both 5.1 and 7.1 configurations respectfully.
There is no synthetic delivery from 5.1 to 7.1 in our releases.
Our "Acoustic Reality Experience" Classical titles reproducing stage in front channels and natural Ambience in all surround channels delivering better perception of Acoustic environment compare to 5.1 mixes that is especially making big difference in medium to large Home Theater rooms.
Our Electronic Music Releases holding unique Audio information in each surround channel to produce virtual environment where each sound can have a unique location around the listener.

However our New Mahler "Resurrection" releases featuring completely different mixing approach then "Acoustic Reality Experience" titles. The new Virtual sound environment was created to present this great material. Following by 3-D Sound Reality Concept developed in my work on "Classic Expressions" series back in earlier 2000s I was trying to stay away from complete separation of groups of instruments by discreet use of channels but rather to achieve a balanced integrated mix showcasing dimensionality of sound experience surrounding a listener.

Last edited:
Hello Alexander,
I have now askes about my newest two Blu Ray's from your production,which I have now received from Amazon. It is unpossible for me to play the "Spatial Dynamics" and "The Way to Paradise". The Blu Ray Player Panasonic BD 55 shows at first a DVD instead a BD sign, then are following in the dispaly the "numbers" 00000 - and that's all. Nothing to see on the TV or screen. Must be there an update for the player - especially for this two Blu Ray's?

By the way - the Label L2 in Norway and the Stockfisch in Germany have developed the possibility to switsch over between stereo or surround reproduction by pure Audio Blu Ray's without looking on display or screen. One must only look to the colors fields on the package of the records and select this on the player's remote control, which habve this color keys. Red is for 5.1 DTS hd master, yellow for 2.0 LPCM and green 5.1. LPCM. Blue may stand for 7.1 DTS or DD. I think, also other Labels or companies should take part this system by future productions of also also Pure (only) Audio Blu Rays, because "easy" is the keyword for an success also for surround-sound.

Hello Alexander,
I have now askes about my newest two Blu Ray's from your production,which I have now received from Amazon. It is unpossible for me to play the "Spatial Dynamics" and "The Way to Paradise". The Blu Ray Player Panasonic BD 55 shows at first a DVD instead a BD sign, then are following in the dispaly the "numbers" 00000 - and that's all. Nothing to see on the TV or screen. Must be there an update for the player - especially for this two Blu Ray's?

By the way - the Label L2 in Norway and the Stockfisch in Germany have developed the possibility to switsch over between stereo or surround reproduction by pure Audio Blu Ray's without looking on display or screen. One must only look to the colors fields on the package of the records and select this on the player's remote control, which habve this color keys. Red is for 5.1 DTS hd master, yellow for 2.0 LPCM and green 5.1. LPCM. Blue may stand for 7.1 DTS or DD. I think, also other Labels or companies should take part this system by future productions of also also Pure (only) Audio Blu Rays, because "easy" is the keyword for an success also for surround-sound.

My apologies Dietrich,

Unfortunately Panasonic BD 55 is the only model of Panasonic BD player that is not support correct AVCHD playback that is required for our titles. There is also similar issue with Samsung 1600 and Pioneer BDP-05FD.

But please don’t take my delivery solution for 7.1 lossless audio as an absolute,
I am looking forward to see more companies to be involved in BD Audio development so lets make our collection of titles to be the first step to enter to the future of lossless quality surround Music on Blu-ray media that we all hoping for.

In regards to different mixes that can be featured on blu-ray audio title I just want to let you know that DTS-HD Encoder suite that I utilize in my work has a separate setting for DTS core 5.1 and DTS 2.0 that allow me to apply unique mixdown for 5.1 and stereo experience encoded in DTS-HD stream.

Last edited:
Hello Alexander, unfortunately I have further bad news for you. I have played the 2 BD's from your production with a Player from another surround-fan. It is the Pioneer FD51 (not the 05). The BD "Spatial Dynamics" was not playable. It was not possible to get a start. So now 4 BD player (may be more) can't read the informations of this BD. The "Way to paradise" we could play (why not the other?) and we have seen very impressed pictures of space and sceneries. But the music? We could not recognize music, but only noises. I think, that such kind of pictures needs soft music - also by synthesizer - that means more gliding and floating and also a little bit of melody. So it would a well compromise: The picture from your disc, the music from Kitaro.

Don't think, I like only a grumble. But I think, a producer should know, how the echo is from the customer. That means for me - a more suitable music for BD's as "The way to paradise" (I am sure, from 100 listeners only 3 would like the actual noises) and a production technic, that is allowing a play of all BD players. I think, we consumers are not only important by paying. We should be the kings on the market, as a proverb means.

I hope, you will understand my words in the right meaning. Fundamental I wellcome your work and efforts for an progress for audio surround sound.

Sincerely

Dietrich

Back