Surround setups with gear/room images

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspclouseau

300 Club - QQ All-Star
After so many years of putting together and adjusting a system that works quite well, especially one that is in a multi-use living room, playing surround dvd's (dolby 5.1/dts 5.1) concerts then later sacd and dvd-a /blu ray audio/video and concerts as they were released, then purchasing many more video concerts and albums etc that are 'upgraded' to hd versions, we own a lot of physical media...way more audio than video..... man, I'd be so pissed after spending serious amounts of even more money to add new speakers, amp/receivers/gear etc, rip open ceilings and/or walls/wiring or mount and move new and current speakers in some weird places in a room NOT designed for studio quality anything....but after already making the best of what the room can offer over years and then NOT liking the new additions and changes done. It was enough of a bitc& getting 5.3 to sound really good. The extra 2 subs and placement helped cure a couple bass nulls in our home. We are very happy with our 5.3 outfit and am getting old enough now that change, and extra time is not always a good thing. 🙃 ~~~I truly hope atmos does not move the other surround versions out.~~~ I can see it happening. It was a brilliant move by Dolby. Congrats to them for sure. As well as speaker outfits selling a lot more loudspeakers in setups as well latest atmos receivers etc. A good thing. I bet the atmos sounds wonderful for a lot of folks, obviously. It will not be happening in this house however. I think it would be cool though to see folks here take some pics of their rooms, surround, including re-done to Atmos set-ups, with the physical installation process and gear and post them. Maybe quite helpful with different ideas that have worked out great, while others not so much.~ Have a great weekend all ~ Mike

Last edited:
After so many years of putting together and adjusting a system that works quite well, especially one that is in a multi-use living room, playing surround dvd's (dolby 5.1/dts 5.1) concerts then later sacd and dvd-a /blu ray audio/video and concerts as they were released, then purchasing many more video concerts and albums etc that are 'upgraded' to hd versions, we own a lot of physical media....... man, I'd be so pissed after spending serious amounts of even more money to add new speakers, amp/receivers/gear etc, rip open ceilings and/or walls/wiring or mount and move new and current speakers in some weird places in a room NOT designed for studio quality anything....but after already making the best of what the room can offer over years and then NOT liking the new additions and changes done. It was enough of a bitc& getting 5.3 to sound really good. The extra 2 subs and placement helped cure a couple bass nulls in our home. We are very happy with our 5.3 outfit and am getting old enough now that change, and extra time is not always a good thing. 🙃 ~~~I truly hope this atmos thing does not move the other surround versions out.~~~ I can see it happening. It was a brilliant move by Dolby. Congrats to them for sure. As well as speaker outfits selling a lot more loudspeakers in setups. A good thing. I bet the atmos sounds wonderful for a lot of folks, obviously. It will not be happening in this house however. I think it would be cool though to see folks here take some pics of their rooms, surround, including Atmos set-ups, with the physical installation process and gear and post them. Maybe quite helpful with different ideas that have worked out great~ Have a great weekend all ~ Mike

Hi Ya Mike
I think there's already a massive thread that illustrates what gear & how people set it up:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/show-us-your-gear.6450/
There are other threads about individual projects by members usually showing their works in progress. I'd say @JonUrban comes to mind:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nally-old-man-yells-at-height-speakers.33766/
and also @barfle and his bonus bijou room:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/barfles-bonus-room-bijou.32232/
The search tool on QQ is your friend! Otherwise just poke around a bit.

I also like to point out that in a members account profile there is a spot to list their equipment & set up. Strictly optional but it comes in handy for learning the background of a post or to help answer someone else's question.

well crapola... I went looking and couldn't find. I am not really up on internet anything..LOL!!! Nevermind! Thank you sonik! Now thanks to you posting these links....im in business! 🤝 ~Mike
I won’t tell anyone that my room is the best one out there, but I think it’s pretty good, with plenty of room for improvement. I put a lot of work into the building of it, and it took quite a while. Most of the following steps will be restoration and integration of some older gear that’s all mentioned in the thread, although I also want a studio door to the room itself and a lobby/snack bar in the short hallway outside.

This hobby isn’t just buying stuff and listening to it. It’s almost constant fiddling and tweaking and adjusting and repairing and upgrading, and it can get obsessive. My wife knows this only too well!

Excellent posts on your room/system build etc! Written well with pics too! Really enjoyed that. By the way, we know a lot of people in Meridian. Friends and work partners. Some good folks. Nice area. ~~'It’s almost constant fiddling and tweaking and adjusting and repairing and upgrading, and it can get obsessive.' ..and VERY expensive/time consuming. We're retired now and 'limited'. Quite a few years ago. Yup. Not going to get too personal on the internet, but things in life happen as we get older, so we are at a stand-still. Again, we hope dolby hasn't found a way to move DTS out. Just my opinion...yes. We are completely satisfied with DTS versions (almost always over the 5.1 dolby versions in our rig/home.) and many people are not going to be able to afford, and, or want to redo the work done in hopes that it's a guaranteed improvement. Not to include folks with ~real~ internet for 'steaming' services. etc. It's pathetic here.🙃 Not happening in the sticks. Everything we listen to is what we own. Re-doing an entire multi-use room might not work and an expensive / time consuming proposition. To have an actual whole room for music.. man that would be awesome! 👌 I totally agree with your post there barfle. Wish we were young again ....sometimes. Fortunately, my wife loves music and surround too, so were in business regardless. We grew up together as just kids, so we are very like-minded. Scary sometimes. 😄 Sounds like your better half is all good with music too.👍
👍

Last edited:
here is my set up so far. Just getting started. Atmos Barn - Work In Progress...............

345ottogan2.jpg

here is my set up so far. Just getting started. Atmos Barn - Work In Progress...............

View attachment 103526
Thanks for the pic. But isn't it supposed to show you with a gold shovel being the first to break ground?

Seriously I look forward to you sharing as much as you can as you go along. Most of the projects here have to do with room remodeling but very rare it starts at this level. The only other one I can think of was a fascinating thread started by @bigbillquad :

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/my-man-cave-dream.27972/

May I suggest you also start a dedicated thread to keep us updated on it!

Thanks for the pic. But isn't it supposed to show you with a gold shovel being the first to break ground?

Seriously I look forward to you sharing as much as you can as you go along. Most of the projects here have to do with room remodeling but very rare it starts at this level. The only other one I can think of was a fascinating thread started by @bigbillquad :

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/my-man-cave-dream.27972/

May I suggest you also start a dedicated thread to keep us updated on it!
No gold shovel and no gold spoon Scott.

Mrs Cbmmm3 and myself are fortunate to be able pull this project off after decades of hard work and long hours. We are building a house and a man barn on the property. Mrs has rules --no speakers and audio components in the house. So - I get the barn where I can rock out in Surround bliss. Watch the Lions win the Super Bowl this season in proper fashion - a big screen with the volume blasting. No more 'turn that shit down' from the Mrs.

The Atmos room is 28' wide x 40' deep but the functional size will be 26" x 22' as there is a bar taking up space in the rear. Looks like I will be going 9 floor speakers, 4 ceiling speakers and 4 subs. I dont currently have an Atmos set up so this is new territory for me.

If all follows schedule, should be in by early December,

Ill keep you guys updated - Ill ask questions as I need to learn more about Atmos. As far as a dedicated thread ? Ill have to think about that one.
Thank you

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of folks here have fabulous systems with much time and money invested. I'm a low budget guy getting by on what I can afford.
Don't need anyone telling me what I need to do, and on my end can only make general, but sincere suggestions.
I've always said, whatever you are happy with is good.
I think people make music listening way too complicated.

As far as a dedicated thread ? Ill have to think about that one.
Thank you
Starting a new thread for your build is easy and as free as the rest of the forum. I see brand new members starting them just to say “hi.”

As a lifelong DIY guy, I’m always interested in the shop talk, as well as discussing the various pluses and minuses of the media we play through our hardware.

It looks like you’re giving yourself a year to get it together. Don’t be surprised or upset eith yourself if it takes twice that long. I already had a building with an empty room, and it took me about a year and a half to get it to the point where I had equipment hooked up, and another six months to get the shelves built. But the trip is fun, at least I enjoyed mine.

View attachment 103526
Hi Rickie, can you start your own thread? Rickie's Build or something like that. I find what you are doing fascinating and would be so cool to follow your build in pictures and comments as you go farther in your build.

Hi Rickie, can you start your own thread? Rickie's Build or something like that. I find what you are doing fascinating and would be so cool to follow your build in pictures and comments as you go farther in your build.
aw shucks ( blushing ) ---okay. Ill do it. I will tell you guys this ---there were many many nights lying in bed thinking and dreaming of what I am about to embark on. This is a dream come true --with an expensive price tag
@Sonik Wiz

I did one what was a bedroom 12' X 14' and converted it. Yes, lots of waking up in middle of night thinking.
I can only imagine what two buildings is like. Kitchens' and bathrooms are just as intense having done a few of those also.
I like the fact your wife says no audio in main house, that will actually be a good thing as your barn will truly be an escape.
A streamer in stereo will be all needed for main house, one room only, don't pipe music through the house, waste of money when you have a barn.

Back