Surround Sound Downloads (DSD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is a poll of sorts, I can play them via JRiver Media Center. I would be interested.

JRiver seems to be the leading Media Center software. Have you tried some of the others? I just picked up a copy of JRiver, so it's still a new adventure here.

No, haven't, as I have ran Media Center for many years. I play my PS3 ripped SACDs this way, great convenience factor for me.

Hey All,

Fantastic! Keep em coming! This gives me plenty of homework. I will be attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (anyone else? wanna meetup?). Thanks for the heads up on the panel. I will make that a priority and try to bring your comments with me if they open the floor.

My basic mission statement is that I love surround audio and would like to see existing material be more available (not always falling out of print), and of course would like to encourage new mixes by excellent engineers. Feel free to contribute ideas to my "elevator speech" which I can carry to represent our cause if I am lucky enough to gain any real access.

I am in the process of trying to quantify the market. Does anyone here have sales data on new surround titles?

Thanks!

Ken

Again Ken, the most important point;
Why FLAC and not DSD?
Because DSD really is an illusion=no info above 20KHz-just digital noise-plenty of proof from our guru Neil Wilkes, who is an active member of the industry, (not only him, I have a proof that SACDs max out at about 20- 22K, as seen from my own pro recording equipment...)

as opposed to FLAC, which does have the info and hence it is TRULY Hi Resolution.

Please do not bother with DSD...
You can not polish a ...well, you know...

Good luck...

kap'n that's not really question as the audio, which had been planed for distribution, i believe are already was
archived into DSD.
as i understand the question was from someone about abilities to utilize DSF downloadable files. most likely this
someone, somehow related to manufacturing DSD based hardware. at least this someone didn't came here to ask
directly but prefered to remain anonimous, albeit QQ community is quite open to any and all, who is interested/involved
in surround.
to paraphrase original question to it's true meaning, it should be asked "how many of you can afford to spend thousands
of dollars, to use our downloadable files?
" :)

Again Ken, the most important point; Why FLAC and not DSD?

Don't forget that some of the download sites, including Super Hi Rez, also sell FLAC and even ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) versions of albums as well as DSD. So you have a choice when buying your music in download format.

As always, purchases by music fans in the marketplace will determine how popular each is. Happy shopping.

This gives me plenty of homework. I will be attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (anyone else? wanna meetup?). Thanks for the heads up on the panel. I will make that a priority and try to bring your comments with me if they open the floor.

Here's some more "homework" as you say. Positive Feedback recently posted an audio interview (45 minutes) on their web site with Chad Kassem and the staff at Acoustic Sounds and Hi Rez Downloads. Some highlights on the interview include the cost to license major artist albums for reissue in Surround Sound, there have been 10 years worth of live Blues Concerts that have been recorded in DSD Surround Sound for future release and a preview of the RMAF 2013 DSD Panel in a few weeks.

The interview is at http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68/kassem_hirez.htm and the audio recording directly at http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68...oad_system.WMA Enjoy!

Again Ken, the most important point;
Why FLAC and not DSD?
Because DSD really is an illusion=no info above 20KHz-just digital noise-plenty of proof from our guru Neil Wilkes, who is an active member of the industry, (not only him, I have a proof that SACDs max out at about 20- 22K, as seen from my own pro recording equipment...)

as opposed to FLAC, which does have the info and hence it is TRULY Hi Resolution.

Please do not bother with DSD...
You can not polish a ...well, you know...

Good luck...

Your questions are probing and awesome!

OK, first let me state that I (who has no control or say-so, mind you) don't see a problem with a tiered system of distribution. Those who want the highest resolution spend more, those who are fine with less than the highest spend less, and those who favor compressed formats, that is their choice. We already have this system with redbook vs. SACD et. al. With this in mind, it is being presented to me that the DSD format is "best," or more appropriately, closest to analog.

I am no expert, but the way it has been presented to me is this. The big story with DSD is not frequency response (as compared to other digital encoding schemes), but rather the ability to reproduce a wave form as smoothly and accurately as possible. The analogy that was presented to me is that DSD is a larger "container," much like a 4 x 5 sheet of film is bigger than 35mm, or a faster analog tape speed distributes the same material over a greater surface area of tape. Each of these increases in containment size allows for finer resolution of the captured material, and thus should be able to reproduce the material more clearly; more closely to the original.

Another analogy I have heard is the difference between vinyl and the CD. Some have complained that digital is cold and lifeless, whereas with vinyl you can "hear the wood" of a good instrument that is well recorded. I have always liked that descriptive phrase.

So DSD is meant to be audiophile. If it is priced out of our budgets, obviously we will not be using it. Although I do have DSD now in the form of SACD. The news that an Oppo can pass through DSD files is great! That is so far the least expensive option I have seen.

Anyway, keep the comments coming if there is new info to add! Thanks to all for your participation!

Ken

The news that an Oppo can pass through DSD files is great! That is so far the least expensive option I have seen.

The Oppo 103 and 105 players are the lowest cost DSD Surround Sound options. For Stereo DSD, there are lower cost options than the Oppo 105 - including the Teac UD-501 DSD DAC at $849 and the new Schiit Loki DSD DAC at $149.

The Oppo 103 and 105 players are the lowest cost DSD Surround Sound options. For Stereo DSD, there are lower cost options than the Oppo 105 - including the Teac UD-501 DSD DAC at $849 and the new Schiit Loki DSD DAC at $149.

Do the 103 and 105 play DSD MCH and if so what type of output, over HDMI or ananlog?

Do the 103 and 105 play DSD MCH and if so what type of output, over HDMI or ananlog?

Yes. You use one of the player's USB ports to bring the DSD music - Stereo or Surround - in. I'm using the Analog Outputs for DSD playback. I assume the HDMI outputs would work as well.

its a shame all us mere mortals with BDP-83/93/95's have no way of playing back these DSD files... does anyone here have a solution other than upgrading to the latest 103/105 models?

Wait until the next series will be released. There probably will be a jump in second hand 103/5's.

Not that I will be selling mine, as I am enjoying it a lot, and at the EU price a bit too much to sell in only two years time.

its a shame all us mere mortals with BDP-83/93/95's have no way of playing back these DSD files... does anyone here have a solution other than upgrading to the latest 103/105 models?

If you only want Stereo DSD, there are lower cost options. If not, the Oppo 103/105 is the entry level for Surround DSD.

Also, be aware that the 103/105 do not have DSD over IP implemented. So you may want to wait until the next generation Oppos come out to avoid the need to update your player twice if you are looking for DSD over the network.

Back