HiRez Poll Tears For Fears - THE HURTING [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tears For Fears - THE HURTING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I first got into the whole Hi -res scene many years ago,buying the (then new) DVD Dolby DTS mix of Steely Dan’s great album Gaucho! But from there I was hooked,and searched for others which were plentiful ,but today? The advent of Steve Wilson’s bravo remixes has been nothing short of spectacular! I received my Tears For Fears album The Hurting,and what a great mix! Making an already great album even that much better,I look forward to next release with baited breath!

Love this work, thank you Steven! A 10! When the album first came out I didn't buy it since I was unaware of it, but heard several tracks on radio (WHFS at the time), and I mistakenly attributed several tracks to other bands. Because you seldom heard the DJ announce the songs played when you were on the go. This disc certainly made me a bigger fan.

I have voted 9. Very strong 9. Just saving 10's for those releases that are magical, to me.
This is an "interesting" album, to me, but I prefer the more sophisticated arrangements of later TFF.
Musically, this album doesn't always sound fully formed. The tracks become more to my liking, generally, as the album progresses.
Cheers to all who love every second!

Life in Surround Review

I give it an 8. The mix is a 10 but the music is maybe a 7. In my opinion TFF's weakest album, mostly due to the instrumentation. I saw them in concert last week and the songs from this album were much better live, probably because they were using actual instruments (and real drums). Not a bad disc but probably won't see much play time from me.

I give it an 8. The mix is a 10 but the music is maybe a 7. In my opinion TFF's weakest album, mostly due to the instrumentation. I saw them in concert last week and the songs from this album were much better live, probably because they were using actual instruments (and real drums). Not a bad disc but probably won't see much play time from me.
More or less what he said, i’m unlikely to ever play it again, unless i’m showing off my system to someone

Yes agree that the instrumentation and production of that album were not comparable with today's music, that's why the songs must sound better live these days with the new technology.

I would venture to guess that The Hurting was not your first exposure to TFF, because when this came out, it was a revelation! Incredibly strong debut album IMO. ✌️

There are real drums on the album (but no cymbals, á la Peter Gabriel 3) - this is why the collaboration with Mike Howlett was stopped, he wanted to use the LinnDrum on everything. And Roland also plays guitar on roughly half the songs. I do agree with your broader point, but it's not just synths and drum machines.

There are real drums on the album (but no cymbals, á la Peter Gabriel 3) - this is why the collaboration with Mike Howlett was stopped, he wanted to use the LinnDrum on everything. And Roland also plays guitar on roughly half the songs. I do agree with your broader point, but it's not just synths and drum machines.
True, true; I meant more that the overall album feels very synthetic. There are a few standouts but nothing like the two following albums, which are masterpieces in my opinion. The Seeds of Love is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I would venture to guess that The Hurting was not your first exposure to TFF, because when this came out, it was a revelation! Incredibly strong debut album IMO. ✌️
I think I probably knew "Mad World" from the radio, but alas I was not yet born when this album was released :LOL:. I think I heard The Seeds of Love first and it remains one of my all time favourite albums.

I think an album from 1983 considered to be in the midst of new wave can be synthetic sounding. That was kind of the point then. It wouldn't make sense for it to sound all organic. Roland has said many times how so much of the music they did in the first 2-3 albums was driven by the technology of the times. I wouldn't change a thing about the sound or production on The Hurting. It's where they started and without that, they don't go anywhere. You don't get to Seeds of Love and beyond without The Hurting and Songs From The Big Chair.

True, true; I meant more that the overall album feels very synthetic. There are a few standouts but nothing like the two following albums, which are masterpieces in my opinion. The Seeds of Love is one of my favourite albums of all time.
The Hurting is also more consistent/samey than the two following albums, I'd say. It doesn't really change radically from one song to the next.

What's their plan with the distribution of this disc? Been out for less than a year, and it's not available. Makes no sense

Back