HiRez Poll Soft Cell - NON-STOP EROTIC CABARET [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Soft Cell - NON-STOP EROTIC CABARET

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Sometimes stuff gets dubbed live...
For example, the first three Prism SACDs were all meant to be surround...but only the first one ended up being because some tracks on the second and third albums were done straight to stereo, bypassing the multitrack stage.

Anything’s possible in this business but not sure why they would have the rights. It was included it as a B-side in earlier releases. They didn’t include any B-sides here but did include some non-album A-sides.

It was just a guess on my end. I really don't know how any of this works but wouldn't they need to get publishing rights before they can release a song that was written by someone else? Even if they have released it before in a different format? Again, I have no idea. As someone said above, maybe they didn't have the multitrack masters.

But yeah I agree that it's great that they included the non-album singles as bonus tracks (Memorabilia, Torch and What!).

Personally I'm less fond of the bonus tracks, and think Say Hello, Wave Goodbye is a great album closer, but I'm grateful for their inclusion :)

(For those who don't know: the original album's last track is Say Hello, Wave Goodbye, the tracks after that on this disk are bonus tracks.)

Are there other instances of remixes, of remixes? Going back to the multi tracks, to remake an immersive mix of a different mix seems strange, without the guy to did the first remix.

It was just a guess on my end. I really don't know how any of this works but wouldn't they need to get publishing rights before they can release a song that was written by someone else? Even if they have released it before in a different format?
I've never heard of this. AFAIK, once you get the permission to record a song, the recording exists as its own entity.

Otherwise, we'd see all sorts of albums with songs missing.

Are there other instances of remixes, of remixes? Going back to the multi tracks, to remake an immersive mix of a different mix seems strange, without the guy to did the first remix.
why would you need the original 12" remix engineer to do an immersive mix of a 12" mix any more than you would need the original album engineer to do an immersive mix of the album?

In any case, Paul Hardiman engineered both the original "Tainted Love" and the 12' remix with "Where Did Our Love Go" (but not the rest of the "Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret" album).

Last edited:
Just getting into this one (MakeMKV rip of the 7.1 bed.) Probably not fair for me to even vote on this one, as I don't have Atmos capability yet, and from what I'm reading here, there is action unfolded into the heights that I wouldn't be aware of.

But here's what I'm seeing/hearing on the song 'Tainted Love'

Looks like no dedicated Center channel info. It is mastered at a fairly low level (crankable I guess), and not much in the LFE as to amplitude, so I'm guessing a lot of the Bass is coming from the Fronts, as there is adequate bass. Sometimes what I do with these is mix the Surrounds and Rear Surrounds together for a 5.1 mix (to my taste, but not sure this needs anything yet); may add a tab bit of low level mid-range EQ to the Fronts to bring out the vocals more, they just sounded a bit wimpy to me (YMMV), and Wimpy was always ready for more Burgers as you know. 1702757313504.png

7.1 Bed original:
*Looks like the Surround channels 5&6 (Sides?) are actually louder than the Rear Surround channels 7&8 (Rears?) is that right; or do I have that backwards?

Tainted Love amplit.jpg

Scan of slip cover:

folder.jpg

I've always liked this album, I bought the LP shortly after it was first released. I haven't listened to it at all in recent years, just too much other stuff to listen to I guess!

I know that others will disagree but eighties music always sounds much more dated than that of the seventies or even of the sixties, very heavy on the synth. Still it's very nice to get this, surround wise the eighties were mostly skipped over as quad faded away.

I don't have Atmos and listen in 4.0 but still this mix was excellent! Was that bass and drums in the rear on "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye"?! I'm voting a ten!

Last edited:
I too have only listened to this in 7.1 mix down from the Atmos, and the surrounds are hardly doing anything. Rears a little more. But the overall effect is noticeable- it sounds much fuller than the 2-channel mix provided. I'll listen to it some more before I judge that, but...

Would've liked some more video content. They did make a video album with all these songs and more. And speaking of that, even though it's credited in the liner notes, "Where Did Our Love Go" is absent as are some other B-sides other editions have had.

This is an album I would not normally have bought, I have to say I found the album very interesting in a good way. Given how sparse the instrumentation was inevitably going to be I found the mix surprisingly surroundy, lots in the rears.

Strange that there are writing credits for songs which don't appear on this version of the album, Lazy records company editing I suspect.

Nice job overall, not quite a 10 but a strong 9

“Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go” was one of those records from my High School years that seemed ubiquitous.
I had the 12” single and wore it out.
It had “Memorabilia” as the B-Side which I also liked.
I was a rock & roller for the most part, but found this “new” (at the time) electronic music quite intriguing.
I never heard the rest of this album until tonight(!)
I have listened to it 3 or 4 times.
It is a lot stronger than I expected.
Honestly I always thought of Soft Cell (despite a long career) as kind of a one-hit wonder.
There are some great, playful songs on here - with a bit of a seedy underbelly - what more can you ask for?!
The Atmos mix on my system seems weak in the heights - though plenty in the rears.
Great as a 5.1, in effect.
Sound generally is great - sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday!
I am overall very impressed, but have to dock a point for the lack of the aforementioned 12” single…without the familiar hook of the Motown classic, they would never have gotten as much airplay as they did and they probably would have remained virtually unknown (at least in the U.S.)…having that would have made this a 10 for me.
So…count me in for a 9…

Why? Many of us, especially those of us who have been around a long time only want/need a 4.0 mix (5.1 is fine). I understand that when (likely often) the Atmos mix sounds bad in 5.1 that a separate 5.1 mix is usually done. Obviously not always!

Remember also that comments are far more important than any poll number ever given! I seldom pay much attention to poll results but if I was on the fence over an item (especially an Atmos mix) I would be reading through the comments, noting how well it sounds in 5.1/4.0!

Not everyone listens through a godzillion speakers or through just two! The height information is supposed to be mixed into "the bed" as well and so really it should not sound bad. Atmos is supposed to be scalable up and down, if not then what good is it?

I don't know it there is an issue with non-Atmos equipement not downmixing properly but from what I understand all the height information is also mixed into the bed, so nothing should be lost. Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
I agree with you. I have an Atmos capable system with 7.1. No height channels. I'm quite happy with that and will never likely install height speakers. I am up to 4 subwoofers though.

I could've gone 8 or 9 but decided to upgrade based on the fact that I don't have atmos and I could be missing a lot. Sounds okay, but not spectacular, you know? As for the music, it is what it is - early '80 Brit synth pop. God knows there was a lot of that then. The kind of androgynous thing that Frankie Goes to Hollywood would pick up on later and the Pet Shop Boys would perfect after that.

Back