The case for 96 kHz (and 88.2) vs Lower Resolutions (44.1 and 48)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who isn't 'pleasurably' guilty of making mix tapes ......... I made 12 dolby b rockabilly mix tapes once and transported them to a wild week end Napa Valley bash and the joint was rockin'..... and yes, I was KING for a day ...and a night! LOL!
Me, I've never owned a cassette deck and never made mix tapes.
For the pool-side music I put a bunch of complete albums in my SansaDisc player
and set it to shuffle. If folks hear a song they don't like, there'll be another coming
up in 3 minutes or so. ;) Admittedly some of the albums are "best of" compilations
but mostly not. I get a lot of questions like, "who is that, or what kind of music is that?"
but IMHO that's a good thing. Let them hear a lot of cut's or artists they never heard
before and climb out of that "stuck in the 60s tonight" bag. Bunch of 55 and over condo
geezers think Frankie Vallie is the pinnacle of music. LOL

IMO, there was NOTHING more egregious than trying to turn the lowly cassette into a High Fidelity medium by literally lavishing millions of Research and Development dollars on perhaps one of the biggest hoaxes in hi fi history. Imagine trying to cram 2" masters recorded at 30 ips onto a thin strip of magnetic oxide tape travelling @ 1 7/8 ips?
I switched to recording audio onto VHS as soon as I got my first VHS deck since it was hi fi stereo. Sounded way better than cassette ever did or ever could have done, and the VHS deck cost a lot less than a Nakamichi would have.

I switched to recording audio onto VHS as soon as I got my first VHS deck since it was hi fi stereo. Sounded way better than cassette ever did or ever could have done, and the VHS deck cost a lot less than a Nakamichi would have.
I bought a 'few' DAT players and all those adorable DAT Blanks and continued making 'mix tapes' into the 90's ......... Even had a portable battery operated DAT player for on the go ........the DAT WALKMAN [LOL] Even have some 'pre~recorded' DATs ......

SONY TCD-D7 DAT Recorder

A lifetime of lost playlists: Part 9 - Gimme dat thing

I bought a 'few' DAT players and all those adorable DAT Blanks and continued making 'mix tapes' into the 90's ......... Even had a portable battery operated DAT player for on the go ........the DAT WALKMAN [LOL] Even have some 'pre~recorded' DATs ......

SONY TCD-D7 DAT Recorder

A lifetime of lost playlists: Part 9 - Gimme dat thing
I still have my Sony DAT recorders, a DTC-690, and a portable TCD-D7 which I used to connect to my car audio through one of those cassette adaptors! But then I do love tape machines as I still have my original Akai 4000DS Mk II I got at Uni and a GX-635D. Sadly no Quad machines :(

I still have my Sony DAT recorders, a DTC-690, and a portable TCD-D7 which I used to connect to my car audio through one of those cassette adaptors! But then I do love tape machines as I still have my original Akai 4000DS Mk II I got at Uni and a GX-635D. Sadly no Quad machines :(

and no Studer Dunc ? slacker.......

When I was doing my PhD I did some work in a recording studio in London to earn some cash, I almost blew it on a 2nd hand Revox A77 (the B77s were too much) sadly or luckily I didn't and was able to eat and booze for a while!
As I type these words a REVOX A77 with dolby b is sitting next to me to remind me that I NEVER play it anymore. Bought it used at a great price! LOVE those BIG Metal Reels!

I bought into HD DVD after it died for that very reason. I purchased a player for less than $50 and a couple movie lots for next to nothing!

Unfortunately, it did not work with the fact SACDs never really caught, and is now a format that is slowly declining from a tipping point that never really existed. Each time I look for a Genesis box, it goes from 350 to 800 euros for 4 SACDs. Each time I tried a Depeche Mode SACD, it was around 70 euros, often over 100.

Back