The Church "The Hypnogogue" - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1714.jpeg

Hurrah! I have been sitting here waiting patiently for awhile ;)
likely my favorite album from last year.
I know what I am going to be downloading off the site tonight.

THANKS for making this happen.
Now I won't need to worry about when and if the Atmos gets yanked off the streaming site.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Has anyone downloaded it yet and is it any good mix-wise?
It's an excellent mix - vocals are in the front 'phantom' center rather than isolated in the center channel (like on Steven Wilson or Bob Clearmountain Atmos mixes), but there are discrete instruments all around including in the height speakers. I think it sounds great played in 5.1 as well.
Hope Starfish is next.
There are already two songs from Starfish available to stream in Atmos ("Under The Milky Way" and "Reptile"), but all that material remains under Sony's purview. I don't think anyone from the band was involved in those mixes.

This download release is the result of a collaboration between IAA and Communicating Vessels Records, so it only covers albums they control. If there were to be another Atmos release (no idea if this is happening), I imagine it would be the new Eros Zeta and the Perfumed Guitars album that came out a few weeks ago.

It's an excellent mix - vocals are in the front 'phantom' center rather than isolated in the center channel (like on Steven Wilson or Bob Clearmountain Atmos mixes), but there are discrete instruments all around including in the height speakers. I think it sounds great played in 5.1 as well.

There are already two songs from Starfish available to stream in Atmos ("Under The Milky Way" and "Reptile"), but all that material remains under Sony's purview. I don't think anyone from the band was involved in those mixes.

This download release is the result of a collaboration between IAA and Communicating Vessels Records, so it only covers albums they control. If there were to be another Atmos release (no idea if this is happening), I imagine it would be the new Eros Zeta and the Perfumed Guitars album that came out a few weeks ago.
Groovy. I shall have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

@sjcorne Once again, thanks for making this happen!
It sounds significantly better than the streaming Apple Music version.

Make no mistake, this is a mesmerizing and ethereal, prog meets psychedelic rock album with a couple of alt friendly songs thrown in.

With dreamy melodies, rich instrumentals, and haunting vocals, each track offers a unique blend of atmospheric soundscapes. The Atmos mix just amplifies the overall mood creating a truly immersive listening experience. Fans of alternative and experimental music will undoubtedly appreciate the creativity and artistry displayed. It is an exceptional album. Overall, "The Hypnagogue" is a must-listen for anyone seeking a transcendent musical escape.

The more moody and deep songs like “Hypnogogue” , “Antartica” , & “Ascendance” really stand out in Atmos. A great album to listen to with the lights off. A bit Bowie, a bit Floyd.

The heights and rears are quite active throughout. Not ultra discrete (there is so much layering on the album to begin with) but also nowhere near just a bubble stereo mix.

The only shortcoming is that the phantom center main vocals are a bit buried in the mix and I had to bump up the left/right mains to solve having to fight to listen to the words. The vocals on the streaming version really suffer but are better here on the download.

Give it a listen on the streaming sites when your in the mood for a good brooding album and you will be convinced to run over to ImmersiveAudioAlbum and download this beauty.

It’s mine now the precious.

Newbie to this website question ;) Once downloaded, can I burn to DVD and have it play in Atmos? Thanks.
The idea is to load the files onto a USB drive and then play them though a Blu-Ray machine (or other compatible HDMI media player devices like an Nvidia Shield or Neumi Atom 4K).

I don't think it's possible to burn MKV files directly to disc, so you'd probably have to jump through a lot of hoops to make a homebrew Blu-Ray. I'm sure someone's done it though.

The heights and rears are quite active throughout. Not ultra discrete (there is so much layering on the album to begin with) but also nowhere near just a bubble stereo mix.
Actually, if you go through "The Hypnogogue" channel-by-channel it comes close to '70s quad-like seperation (though there's a good bit of reverb in all channels that helps glue it all together). Starts with a lone guitar in the front right speaker, then a second guitar rear right and violin rear left. Drums, bass, lead vocal in fronts, backing vocals and tom-toms in rear. Up top, there's some isolated synth in the front heights and strummed acoustic guitar in the rear heights. Then towards the end, there's another synth part that swirls around the bottom speakers.

I think the most impressive use of Atmos is in the song "Antarctica". There's three electric guitars - one in the front right height speaker, one in the rear left height speaker, and the other in the fronts :)

I did get this IAA TrueHD Atmos and I'm happy with the improvement in sound compared to streaming.
(I did my usual MKVToolNix append of all MKV tracks to avoid losing the first seconds of the tracks during the HDMI 'sync')

What I have to say is that, I did first listened (from TIDAL) two days ago, to 'remember' the songs and the mix. And I ended up with a slight overload on my head (without becoming a headache), due to the "dense" sound that some songs have.

On the other hand, with the TrueHD files, I didn't get that bad feeling even though I also listened to them at a certain volume. Maybe it's because of the more clean TrueHD sound, or maybe it's just a placebo effect, but that's how I felt.

Interesting Atmos mix, highlighting the use of tops and rears.

It's so cool to me that these guys have continued to produce quality music under the radar since their "heyday" years of the 80s. I saw them a few years back on their 30th anniversary support tour for Starfish and it was wonderful. They are so underrated. It would be nice to have the front of their catalog released in surround.

Listening now to this new Atmos MKV file.
24bit/48Khz.
DR's are 12's, 13's, 14's, 15.
All speakers working, vocals phantom center, center speaker used sparingly, like tick tocks, kick drum, etc at least on track 1.
Need to allow a finish of complete release.
Track 2 heights overpower rears. Center is a zero.
Track 3 seems more equal between heights and rears, center is a zero.
Per Jonathans suggestion lets jump to (I have to go to work)
Track 12 starts off diagonal height activity, awesome stereo front drums, center still a zero, rears tickling.

I listened to 4 tracks in full, different mix than I am used to. Main information is stereo fronts and 4 heights. Different, I like it, don't have a problem with it.
It works because the 4 heights are so strong, if not I would be saying WTF, this is not ATMOS.
Like I said, I like and will finish out listen later and warrants a second listen.

BTW, on the IAA site it is listed as a MKV/MP4 file and when Download all, you also get a seperate folder with the MP4, I just tossed it but was nice to get a seperate actual folder instead of creating my own folder.

BTW, on the IAA site it is listed as a MKV/MP4 file and when Download all, you also get a seperate folder with the MP4, I just tossed it but was nice to get a seperate actual folder instead of creating my own folder.
Yep, this has become standard operating procedure going forward. The MKVs have to be separate entries because of how the uploader works, but if there's another stream (Atmos MP4, 5.1 FLAC, Auro-3D, etc) that goes in a zipped folder. Should help simplify the download process a bit.

Yep, this has become standard operating procedure going forward. The MKVs have to be separate entries because of how the uploader works, but if there's another stream (Atmos MP4, 5.1 FLAC, Auro-3D, etc) that goes in a zipped folder. Should help simplify the download process a bit.
Great news.

Back