Bruce Soord - new solo album “Luminescence” coming September 22! (2CD/5.1 DVD, Atmos streaming & digital download)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable music head but I had never heard of PT until I joined QQ earlier this year. I didn't know who Bruce was until I watched a relevant Life In Surround vid. I just bought the recent PT box set so I'll be digesting that for a LONG time before getting to any solo output. That said, I'm enjoying what I've heard! 😀
Another win for Mike, a.k.a. @edisonbaggins. This is what happens when you live life in surround!

I mean, why did he not include an Atmos rendition in the box set?
Sort of feel cheated, here, but glad he did release an Atmos version.
I'm sure he would have preferred to do a single BD or CD/BD with both 5.1 & Atmos (like The Pineapple Thief's Give It Back), but KScope's original plan was to put the 5.1 on a DVD (96/24 DTS) in the box set and then keep the Atmos mix exclusive to the streaming services. I'm guessing this was done for budgetary reasons - DVDs are cheaper to make than BDs, especially since Bruce does all the authoring himself.

Yes, I'm bummed they wouldn't let us offer the dedicated 5.1 mix too - but getting the lossless Atmos mix as an affordable standalone download feels like a big win for our community. And FWIW, during testing Bruce told me he felt the 5.1 rendering of the Atmos mix sounded better than the dedicated 5.1 on his system.

Question for those who have bought atmos mixes through IAA. The file(s) is(are) MP4. How does that work? Do I drag and drop them to a USB and plug and play them on my TV?

The .MKVs (TrueHD) are the ones you want to use. You can play them off a PC connected to your AVR via HDMI, or via attached USB storage on your Blu-Ray player. Plugging a USB stick directly into your TV probably won't have any effect.

The .MKVs (TrueHD) are the ones you want to use. You can play them off a PC connected to your AVR via HDMI, or via attached USB storage on your Blu-Ray player. Plugging a USB stick directly into your TV probably won't have any effect.
Thanks! I'm more familiar with MKVs files. I've tried before plugging atmos files on the AVR, but that just doesn't work.
MKV files (for tv shows) do play in Atmos when plugged directly to the TV, though.

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable music head but I had never heard of PT until I joined QQ earlier this year. I didn't know who Bruce was until I watched a relevant Life In Surround vid. I just bought the recent PT box set so I'll be digesting that for a LONG time before getting to any solo output. That said, I'm enjoying what I've heard! 😀
Obviously, it's all clear in the context of your post but TPT is The Pineapple Thief and PT is Porcupine Tree.

I haven't even received the Soord box set yet, and now there is an Atmos download?
I mean, why did he not include an Atmos rendition in the box set?
Sort of feel cheated, here, but glad he did release an Atmos version.

Unless I am mistaken it looks like the Atmos version is just the album itself and not the bonus album that is in surround as well on this boxset.

Jonathan, if you are reading, did Bruce do the bonus album in Atmos as well, will that be released as well in the future via a download?

Jonathan, if you are reading, did Bruce do the bonus album in Atmos as well, will that be released as well in the future via a download?
Yeah, he only mixed the main album in Atmos at this time (at least to my knowledge). Doing the bonus album in Atmos as a separate release at some point down the line is an interesting idea though, I'll bring that to the label's attention and see what they think.

Yeah, he only mixed the main album in Atmos at this time (at least to my knowledge). Doing the bonus album in Atmos as a separate release at some point down the line is an interesting idea though, I'll bring that to the label's attention and see what they think.
What about lossless 5.1 downloads for both?

Obviously, it's all clear in the context of your post but TPT is The Pineapple Thief and PT is Porcupine Tree.
After I posted I was wondering what the chances of two quasi- similar English prog bands both having the initials PT. I'm a pinball hobbyist and I'm reminded of all the acronyms they use on their forums:

AFM - Attack from Mars
BDK - Batman Dark Knight
BF - Batman Forever
BW - Baywatch or Barb Wire
BBB - Big Bang Bar
BBH - Big Buck Hunter
BH - Black Hole
BK - Black Knight
BK2K - Black Knight 2000
BSD - Bram Stoker's Dracula
BOP - Bride of Pinbot
CC - Cactus Canyon
CP - Champion Pub
CV - Cirqus Voltaire
CFTBL - Creature from the Black Lagoon

Amy other pinheads on here?

What about lossless 5.1 downloads for both?
They didn't allow us to issue downloads of any of the bonus content from prior Bruce/Pineapple Thief surround releases (such as the 5.1 acoustic versions of Dissolution, Your Wilderness, and All This Will Be Yours), so I imagine this case would be no different. Snapper/KScope still sell a lot of physical product and probably don't want to undermine that. Since there was no physical version of the Luminescence Atmos mix to compete with our hi-res download, they signed off on it.

Just listened to this from Apple Music and the mix is very good as usually with Bruce, he is steadily becoming my favorite Atmos mixer. :cool: The music is a little laidback for my taste, but a nice listen none the less.:)

They didn't allow us to issue downloads of any of the bonus content from prior Bruce/Pineapple Thief surround releases (such as the 5.1 acoustic versions of Dissolution, Your Wilderness, and All This Will Be Yours), so I imagine this case would be no different. Snapper/KScope still sell a lot of physical product and probably don't want to undermine that. Since there was no physical version of the Luminescence Atmos mix to compete with our hi-res download, they signed off on it.
Bruce has made lossless 5.1 downloads available in the past, as for his solo debut in FLAC for preorders through Burning Shed. I'd love to at least have lossless 5.1 for the main album.

Bruce has made lossless 5.1 downloads available in the past, as for his solo debut in FLAC for preorders through Burning Shed. I'd love to at least have lossless 5.1 for the main album.
For last year's Give It Back, they had us wait until September (the CD/BD set came out in late May) to launch the download - so it may yet get added in a few months' time. If it were up to me, we'd already be offering the 5.1 FLACs.

Back