the Mobile Fidelity That's Way of the World, no surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Today I noticed that Mobile Fidelity has scheduled Earth, Wind, and Fire's - That's The Way of the World for hybrid stereo SACD release. I couldn't help but wonder why they don't put the quad mix on it. They have released multichannel SACDs in the past, although all of those have been classical. I just figured I'd bring this to everyone's attention, and suggest that we should all email them requesting a multichannel SACD with the quad mix on it at [email protected]. Also, while you're at it, be sure to inquire as to why their release of Frank Zappa - We're only in it for the money will only be CD, not SACD. That one really pisses me off. I suppose the name of the title also answers my question on that, though. Mobile Fidelity just isn't what it used to be, I guess.

Last edited:
Stupidity. It's a great surround mix (as some of us know)

JonUrban said:
Stupidity. It's a great surround mix (as some of us know)

It's not the first time they missed the surround boat... MFSL released a hybrid *stereo* SACD of "Shaft", and also this had a fantastic surround mix ready to go.

winopener said:
It's not the first time they missed the surround boat... MFSL released a hybrid *stereo* SACD of "Shaft", and also this had a fantastic surround mix ready to go.

Actually that wasn't a MFSL release, that was a stax release. MFSL did do a hybrid of Hot Buttered Soul, of which I don't think there is a quad mix. But you are right, the boat was missed on shaft as well.

No, HBS was just stereo...nice mastering job, I must say.

THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD is one of my all-time faves in surround....it is, on the main, somewhat radical: you hear all sorts of things scattered about that were buried(or mixed out)of the stereo version. "Shining Star" is amazing!

I remember someone reviewing this one(wish I could remember who and where)who speculated that the extra stuff we heard was 'added instrumentation'--suggesting that it was done for the quad to spice it up, or something. Though I've no idea what is what, this seemed ludicrious to me(the only album I remember wondering about was the mix of "Mississippi Queen" on BEST OF MOUNTAIN, with a very prominent Felix Pappaldardi piano that could have been added, since damned if I can pick it up at all on the mono or stereo mix of that song). Still seems ridiculous, I think someone just took the opportunity to really go hogwild and give it a real lively Quad workout.

ED

ArmyOfQuad said:
Today I noticed that Mobile Fidelity has scheduled Earth, Wind, and Fire's - That's The Way of the World for hybrid stereo SACD release. I couldn't help but wonder why they don't put the quad mix on it. They have released multichannel SACDs in the past, although all of those have been classical. I just figured I'd bring this to everyone's attention, and suggest that we should all email them requesting a multichannel SACD with the quad mix on it at [email protected]. Also, while you're at it, be sure to inquire as to why their release of Frank Zappa - We're only in it for the money will only be CD, not SACD. That one really pisses me off. I suppose the name of the title also answers my question on that, though. Mobile Fidelity just isn't what it used to be, I guess.

I e-mailed MFSL and unfortunately didn't get an answer. I did mention the same thing too, that since MFSL were releasing hybrid SACD, it would make sense to take advantage of it by locating the quad masters. In EW&F's case it may be a bit of quality control too. The band have three other albums in quad (Head To The Sky, Open Our Eyes, and Spirit), and one would think that Sony would have released them as hybrid SACD's, yet they haven't.

Eh.

Email to [email protected]:

Hi -

I understand you have scheduled an SACD release of this classic Earth Wind & Fire album, in stereo only.

As I'm sure you've heard, there is a spectacular multichannel (quadraphonic) mix that was done in 1975.
Columbia has approved several existing quad masters for multichannel SACD release (e.g., Isley Brothers and O'Jays).

I think I speak for a large segment of the SACD-buying community in saying this: I am not interested in 2-channel releases at all. I do not buy 2-channel hi-rez discs.

Although the format originally targetted the "2-channel geeks" with tube amps and speakers no wife would approve of, this crowd no longer represents the typical SACD buyer.
For many, multichannel presentation is not only the most important feature of SACD, but the only reason to shell out $17.95 and more.

Please consider this carefully in planning future releases.

eggplant
Member, QuadraphonicQuad forum

I don't think we can count on anything of quality coming out of Mobile Fidelity anymore. I've recently found out disturbing news. Earlier I mentioned the Zappa - We're only in it for the money release that will be CD only. I've found out more disturbing news about this issue which reveals just what a bunch of money grubbing scammers the people currently running Mobile Fidelity are. I will paste a quote from a thread about this issue from the zappa forums:

Well, hi everyone.
The deal with this CD is: Nobody came to us here at the UMRK to ask us for an original master tape to remaster from......soooooo...that means that whoever the engineer is that remastered this for MFSL, remastered it from the 1630 Digital Master delivered to Rykodisc back in '95 (I believe that was the year) and currently being distributed by Ryko.

So, people will be spending their money on a gold disc with someone's idea of a good time tinkering with the FZ approved CD you already have.

Sorry, but could this be YET ANOTHER example of Rykodisc's rehash of the main catalog, to dish unto the unsuspecting consumer.......right underneath their grubby little noses?

Personally, A SACD Hybrid Re-Master, with some bonus material, would be the ticket. Alas, we must weather through the dark muck until these things can become a reality.

Vaultmeister

Joe

This is very disturbing and goes against everything Mobile Fidelity once stood for. This is the first time I've ever known Mobile Fidelity to issue a title that didn't actually come from the original master. Basically, all one gets when they buy this CD is an almost exact copy of what they already bought, but for more then they originally paid. I see this as a flat out scam to get people to buy things they already bought. Truely, Mobile Fidelity of today are only in it for the money.

Back