The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "golden" stout almost seems to be a bit of a contradiction, but I'm certainly intrigued! Sounds amazing, I'm a big fan of the bourbony barrel aged goodness.

Shared one a little different with the Mrs just before dinner - a bourbon barrel-aged "golden stout" from Bosque Brewing dubbed "Double Sunshine Stout" (8.4% abv, 25 ibu). Not really my thing as the taste of bourbon isn't one I gravitate to, but an interesting one to try for sure.
Bosque-Dbl-Sunshine-Stout.jpg

Looking at all these cool bottles and cans from all over.
I feel so out of place with my Jack Daniels and Budweiser.

Marpow, there's certainly no reason you should feel out of place when you live in CA. You pretty much live in the craftbrew mecca of the USA, if not the entire world :D

Anyway, here's tonight's brew, along with Marillion Brave in surround.

A pumpkin saison @ 10.5%, from Toasted Barrel Brewing. A very limited, one-off release.

1546739812096.png

Marpow, there's certainly no reason you should feel out of place when you live in CA. You pretty much live in the craftbrew mecca of the USA, if not the entire world :D

Anyway, here's tonight's brew, along with Marillion Brave in surround.

A pumpkin saison @ 10.5%, from Toasted Barrel Brewing. A very limited, one-off release.

View attachment 37456
Ha Ha, thank you, that's awesome, yes there are craft distillery's all around me, probably 50 within 20 miles.

Ex Novo Brewery in Portland is in the process of opening a brewery in Corrales (small town attached to Abq at the NW quad), they're almost ready to roll, and in the meantime have teamed up with local Bow & Arrow on a "Southwest X Northwest" hazy IPA. I did a taster at B&A this afternoon and it was decent enough for me to fill a 32oz growler. Getting into a full pint, a better sampling reveals it to be a really good example of the hazy IPA, as good as the other big boys here in town. Looking forward to Ex Novo opening up so I can try his other stuff!
Bow-Arrow-Ex-Novo-SWx-NWHazy-IPA.jpg

Living in Utah, where you're pretty much treated like a criminal for partaking, that's something I can't even comprehend... :cry:

The laws there are so odd. We like to get up to the Moab area (obvious reasons - Canyonlands, Arches, Natural Bridges etc) and when there last time through were in the Moab Brewery. You could order their IPA on tap at "Utah strength" or you could get the 16oz can at real un-watered down strength brought to your table. Seems a little pointless to me - if you want the Utah version just pour in a little water from your glass as I'd guess that's really about the difference.

The laws there are so odd. We like to get up to the Moab area (obvious reasons - Canyonlands, Arches, Natural Bridges etc) and when there last time through were in the Moab Brewery. You could order their IPA on tap at "Utah strength" or you could get the 16oz can at real un-watered down strength brought to your table. Seems a little pointless to me - if you want the Utah version just pour in a little water from your glass as I'd guess that's really about the difference.

Dopplebock, I came to the realization years ago that the liquor laws in Utah must be decided by drawing randomly from a hat. They're arbitrary, ineffective, and in many cases, contradictory - one only needs to look to the tv show, "Drinking Made Easy", Utah episode (it's an ironic title when covering Utah) where they interview numerous bar owners around the state who all give their own interpretations of their understanding of Utah law.

Beer in grocery stores/convenience stores and on tap is limited to 3.2 ABW (4% by volume), but full strength is available in bottles and cans at a premium price (of course) at bars/restaurants and at state-operated liquor stores (where it's sold at room temp). There's the Zion Curtain (which was recently dropped, but the compromise is equally fatuous - I'd recommend you read up on it), the new .05 law (which in no way addresses the problem drunk driver), the Deadpool movie fiasco, and numerous other silly laws and controversies...

This forum has a pretty strict "no politics" policy, and it's basically impossible to talk Utah liquor laws without getting political, so I'm hesitant to say much more - to make matters worse, Utah politics and religion are very much intertwined - as a so-called "gentile", it's a frustrating reality of my everyday life.

Last edited:
I had the King Crimson red ale on tap last year while visiting a friend in Phoenix. Of course when I saw it on the beer list, I had to order it!

Same for me, whenever in Sedona...how could I not? I'd drink a pint even if it was average, but it's VG+ so always on my repeat list when we do a Sedona getaway.

Once again it's share time, today with Mrs and her mom, it's a bottle of Odell Brewing - Cellar Series - "Ten Paces" huckleberry wild ale (6.5% abv).
Odell-Ten-Paces-Huckleberry-Wild-Ale.jpg
Looks great. Not sure if you've ever been to their brewery in Fort Collins, but you should definitely check it out if you ever get the chance. One of my favorite breweries I've visited. Huge brewery with a beautiful serving area. Both O'dell and New Belgium are awesome places to visit and hang out with friends, family, the dog. Good times!

Looks great. Not sure if you've ever been to their brewery in Fort Collins, but you should definitely check it out if you ever get the chance. One of my favorite breweries I've visited. Huge brewery with a beautiful serving area. Both O'dell and New Belgium are awesome places to visit and hang out with friends, family, the dog. Good times!

I like a lot of Odell's beer - really good. We tend to go up to the Denver area at least once a year but as yet haven't made to Odell in Fort Collins....it's on my list though as they have stuff I'd love to try that doesn't make it through the bigger distribution channel.

One road trip we like to do is head from here to Durango, then west into Utah to a park/canyon, then back over through Colorado and down home to Abq. As our town doesn't get a lot of the music shows we want to see, we try to time our trips around a show in Denver.

California definitely has some amazing breweries, for sure. Though it depends on where you are. LA? Not so much. San Diego and San Francisco/Northern CA? Yes. Stone and Anderson Valley are some of my favorites.

Also, doppelbock, they're opening a small Ex Novo brewpub right in my hometown suburb of Portland! I am excited to check it out. It's like ten minutes from my house.

I was waiting for a friend last night in SE Portland and killed time by having a few tasters at Cascade Barrel House. They have an ongoing series of beers under the name Bourbonic (Plague) and they had a few new permutations last night. One was a Live Barrel (they always have two tapped) and was a Dutch Cocoa Bourbonic. It was excellent, the live barrel thing tends to be like a cask ale (tastes "flat" to some). The flavor was amazing. Very subtle cocoa flavor, nice rich sweetness with almost a cherry slight sourness to it. The other was a Mayan Spice Bourbonic and this beer was incredible. A few of the same chocolate type flavors but with less sour and some heat from a pepper of some sort. Five stars, one of the best Bourbonic variants I've had, and I've had MANY.

I closed out my brief visit with my favorite Stout series of all time anywhere: Diesel. They had the 2016 Diesel on tap, so I availed myself of a glass. Still amazing, love this beer.

I like a lot of Odell's beer - really good. We tend to go up to the Denver area at least once a year but as yet haven't made to Odell in Fort Collins....it's on my list though as they have stuff I'd love to try that doesn't make it through the bigger distribution channel.

One road trip we like to do is head from here to Durango, then west into Utah to a park/canyon, then back over through Colorado and down home to Abq. As our town doesn't get a lot of the music shows we want to see, we try to time our trips around a show in Denver.

I'm in the same boat. All three trips to CO have been for concerts. Twice to Boulder for Porcupine Tree and then SW, and then most recently, King Crimson in Denver. I've always wanted to make a trip to Durango.

Back