The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be sort of cool if Geddy or Alex did a side project? Maybe some solo stuff? Why not? :)

As long as they don't go acoustic...I don't think they are done making music...just done touring...they could still record some studio stuff and stay home...to be candid I'm one that wishes they would stop now...while they are still credible..

As long as they don't go acoustic...I don't think they are done making music...just done touring...they could still record some studio stuff and stay home...to be candid I'm one that wishes they would stop now...while they are still credible..

The main reason why I think RUSH can't record an album without touring is that they have always toured behind every album release. Neil (Peart) in particular has said that touring and playing live is really where a band's true essence is. My general feeling is that apart from the odd guest spot (live or in the studio) Neil doesn't want to have anything to do with music anymore and wants to spend the rest of his life enjoying time with friends & family, riding his motorcycle, and writing books.

As for the acoustic idea, I could see Geddy & Alex doing that, just like they did playing "Resist" on the Vapor Trails & R30 tours. They could play their favorite covers, some new material, and some RUSH songs that work well in that environment, and they could perform in smaller theaters without running up the costs associated with a big RUSH arena tour. I definitely think we'll hear more from both of them, either together or apart, but not from Neil.

The main reason why I think RUSH can't record an album without touring is that they have always toured behind every album release. Neil (Peart) in particular has said that touring and playing live is really where a band's true essence is. My general feeling is that apart from the odd guest spot (live or in the studio) Neil doesn't want to have anything to do with music anymore and wants to spend the rest of his life enjoying time with friends & family, riding his motorcycle, and writing books.

As for the acoustic idea, I could see Geddy & Alex doing that, just like they did playing "Resist" on the Vapor Trails & R30 tours. They could play their favorite covers, some new material, and some RUSH songs that work well in that environment, and they could perform in smaller theaters without running up the costs associated with a big RUSH arena tour. I definitely think we'll hear more from both of them, either together or apart, but not from Neil.

Ha, yeah...then in 5 years...they'll have a "reunite tour" like everyone else does....and make a killing on tickets. :confused:

Ha, yeah...then in 5 years...they'll have a "reunite tour" like everyone else does....and make a killing on tickets. :confused:

I honestly don't think that will happen, mostly because I think RUSH (and Neil in particular) are not ones to "game" their fans by doing a 'farewell' or 'reunion' tour.
I truly believe that the last show of the R40 tour was the end of RUSH.

I honestly don't think that will happen, mostly because I think RUSH (and Neil in particular) are not ones to "game" their fans by doing a 'farewell' or 'reunion' tour.
I truly believe that the last show of the R40 tour was the end of RUSH.

I know...I was kidding. I think they wouldn't do that either...they are truly a bunch of good guys. Gotta love them...

I remember either reading this in one of Neil's books, or perhaps it was on their documentary when Neil's daughter and wife passed away at such a short interval to each other. Neil ended up touring NA on his bike as part of the healing process, with Rush basically being shut down. Neither Alex or Geddy wanted to do anything 'Rush' without Neil. I'm thinking that may still hold true today, although solo work wouldn't be out of the question. Hasn't Alex played guitar for other bands over the years, at least in studio work? If so, that may continue. But yeah...it's been quite a career, I'm thankful for all we have to play in our homes that they've given us. :upthumb

Going back (briefly) to the Geddy singing debate, one thing that could have significantly helped his singing was lowering even more of the keys for their songs.
With the exception of "2112" and two songs on "Hemispheres", no other keys have ever been lowered to accommodate Geddy's voice, and I think that was definitely a big factor that wasn't properly addressed for him on these last three tours.

Contrast that with the Genesis reunion from 2007. All but two of the vocal songs were lowered to accommodate Phil's voice, and overall it made him sound really good! It didn't require him to strain or overexert his voice, and it paid off tremendously in terms of how well everything came across, particularly on the live CD and DVD. Ymmv… ;)

Inspired by their recent excellent release of "The Bridge" as a 5.1 download I went to see The Enid perform the "Dust" show in Bristol last night. It's the first time we have seen them live with Joe doing lead vocals and we both really enjoyed it. It's a very powerful and entertaining audio and visual experience. Highly recommended if you get chance.

Back to hippydom next weekend - sadly minus the hair, well sadly minus any hair really!

Its Hawkwind's HawkEaster.

hawkeaster-2016.jpg

Uhmm, maybe going to see David Gilmour in Pompeii in the summer. Waiting for the tickets to go on sale on Tuesday!

Yes, of course. Doug Wimbush replaced Muzz Skullings 20 years ago on bass. Saw them here in 1990 when Times Up was new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking very forward to the September concert, AT&T Park called San Francisco Fest On The Green starting with The Doobie Brothers, The Steve Miller Band, Santana, and Journey, will be an awesome concert as in the hey day of Bill Graham's Day On The Green. These where huge concerts in the 70's and 80's that everybody went to and these 4 bands for the upcoming September concert will be the biggest concert for San Francisco in 2016. Tickets went on sale yesterday, 3-18-2016.

Just got back from the Moody Blues show at the Ryman.
I wish I could say it was all great, but that's not true at all.
For the first five songs, the sound mix was absolutely SHIT!
All I could hear was keyboards, drum fills, and some backing vocals. Just a slight hint of guitar was detected and barely any vocals at all. It was terrible!
I was so excited about hearing some of my favorite Moody Blues' songs like "You and Me" and "Gypsy", but the sound balance for those songs and everything that came before them was absolutely shit, the worst of any concert I have ever been to!

Then, when John Lodge started singing "Nervous" (from "Long Distance Voyager") that was the first song where the sound balance was good, and I could actually hear the vocals! From that point on, the sound was fine, but the first five songs left a terrible taste in my mouth.
Plus I had forgotten how uncomfortable going to a show at the Ryman really is. Crammed into wooden church pews is not a comfortable experience, which I could have gotten over had the sound been better from the start. Oh well, this is why I only work with audio in the studio and not live, ladies and gents!

All I'm hoping now is that the Bryan Ferry concert there in August will be a much better experience. Hope Springs Eternal!

Just got back from the Moody Blues show at the Ryman.
I wish I could say it was all great, but that's not true at all.
For the first five songs, the sound mix was absolutely SHIT!
All I could hear was keyboards, drum fills, and some backing vocals. Just a slight hint of guitar was detected and barely any vocals at all. It was terrible!
I was so excited about hearing some of my favorite Moody Blues' songs like "You and Me" and "Gypsy", but the sound balance for those songs and everything that came before them was absolutely shit, the worst of any concert I have ever been to!

Then, when John Lodge started singing "Nervous" (from "Long Distance Voyager") that was the first song where the sound balance was good, and I could actually hear the vocals! From that point on, the sound was fine, but the first five songs left a terrible taste in my mouth.
Plus I had forgotten how uncomfortable going to a show at the Ryman really is. Crammed into wooden church pews is not a comfortable experience, which I could have gotten over had the sound been better from the start. Oh well, this is why I only work with audio in the studio and not live, ladies and gents!

All I'm hoping now is that the Bryan Ferry concert there in August will be a much better experience. Hope Springs Eternal!

Wow thats tooo bad RT, that place looks amazing for a concert

Saw that Santana was playing in Spain...

BUT THEN I SAW THE PRICES..

WHAT THE FCK????????????

REALLY?????

and the 600 EUR ones are SOLD OUT!!!!!

I'd pay no more than 100 EUR... I've seen Santana twice...and it's not worth THAT MUCH MONEY TO SEE ANYONE LIVE!!!!!! (sorry , Fripp)

Saw that Santana was playing in Spain...

BUT THEN I SAW THE PRICES..

WHAT THE FCK????????????

REALLY?????

and the 600 EUR ones are SOLD OUT!!!!!

I'd pay no more than 100 EUR... I've seen Santana twice...and it's not worth THAT MUCH MONEY TO SEE ANYONE LIVE!!!!!! (sorry , Fripp)

Hey Kap'n...how many seats in that venue?..is it a small place?

Back