Thoughts on Elvis

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
On August 16, 1977 Elvis Presley passed away....at the tender age of 42...some Elvis fans have dedicated this week to celebrate all things Elvis...on the 10th this new album was released..I thought it would be nice to have this thread to discuss anything Elvis related...your memories..your favorite songs...or just anything that comes to mind...

Elvis would have been nobody if not for racism in mid-20th century America. On the radio, nobody (meaning parents) knew the race of a singer being broadcast. Once television came on the scene, the rules changed. Most middle class American white kids (televisions were not for the poor) would not be allowed to listen/watch black rock and roll artists. Enter Elvis … a white Southern rock and roll singer. Problem solved. I'm with IMachine. I don't like Elvis … or what he stood for.

I rather enjoy the young Elvis. I liked his style and the excitement he brought. I have a bit of his older music and play it often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren't the only one that enjoyed Elvis....I did too...and there are actually black people that liked his music too...along with us racists:D

Then feel free to provide a well-reasoned intellectual rebuttal. You could start by refuting my socio-political analysis of mid-20th century USA.

That would require a well reasoned analysis to refute...not your backwoods banjo driven vision of mid-20th century America...this isn't a political forum...it's just a music thread....we've seen enough of your political statements on here...don't use this thread to advance your obnoxious agenda...

Then feel free to provide a well-reasoned intellectual rebuttal. You could start by refuting my socio-political analysis of mid-20th century USA.

No I won't be doing that. I come here to read about music, not politics. I don't have to provide a reason for disagreeing with somebody.

Have a nice day !

Knock it off. I am no Elvis fan, and Mike is right that folks like Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and Bo Diddley wrote great songs and they only reason the main stream heard them was because white singers like Elvis and Pat Boone sang them. But that was then and this is now and let's not let this thread steamroll into a pile of shit that will piss me off.

OKAY? (I'm already pissed about something else)

On August 16, 1977 Elvis Presley passed away...
And a month later Mike Vieira was born!
Mum says she cried when she got the news.
I like some of his work. His movies had a good energy, when I was a kid. I like how his Battle Hymn of the Republic cut is used during a huge gun battle in some movie. Kick-Ass, maybe?
RIP Elvis! If you're really dead!

And a month later Mike Vieira was born!
Mum says she cried when she got the news.
I like some of his work. His movies had a good energy, when I was a kid. I like how his Battle Hymn of the Republic cut is used during a huge gun battle in some movie. Kick-Ass, maybe?
RIP Elvis! If you're really dead!

you do gotta hand it to him, being brave enough to join the service like yourself, hardly any musicians besides him actually served

being sworn in: (and his hair still looked good lol)

Elvis_sworn_into_army_1958.jpg

There is something to say for conscription...it furthers the "melting pot".
I actually agree with that. An all volunteer military is a romantic idea, but many join because it is their best opportunity in life, vocationally, economically and so forth. This leads to a greater number of disadvantaged joining than those with other means to succeed. I happened to have put a successful career and marriage on hold when I joined, but that kind of thing is rare compared to the usual situation: needing money for college, no jobs locally, avoiding jail, etc.

Back