Tommy dvd audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well I feel as though something is complete in my life-I'm taking a pee break after disc one, OMG! I thought I heard this before? I'm sitting here getting chills! It's perfect!

Well I feel as though something is complete in my life-I'm taking a pee break after disc one, OMG! I thought I heard this before? I'm sitting here getting chills! It's perfect!

OK, This is a keeper. I'm really pissed I didn't buy this a long time ago. The production values are wonderful, Good use of all speakers and full range. For such an old production, I am impressed-look at the liner notes, This was done in 1967-and it was Woodstock-(69) that brought the Who to America and made them what they were. The photos of Pete he looks so young! Amazing!

I gave this a less-than-flattering review when it was first released and Pete sent me a long email addressing my concerns and explaining the limitations (drums were recorded on only one track, etc). I published his response the next week and gave it a better listen.

I gave this a less-than-flattering review when it was first released and Pete sent me a long email addressing my concerns and explaining the limitations (drums were recorded on only one track, etc). I published his response the next week and gave it a better listen.

there are 2 versions sacd and dvd audio, what copy do you have?

That is too cool. Wow feedback from Pete.

It is unfortunate that Moon was only given one microphone for most of his brilliant work.

Amazing DVD-A.

It's funny how we sort of took the releases those days for granted. If we only knew they would be few and far between, and then pretty much gone in a few years.

Tommy is an incredible DVD-A, esp with all of the extra stuff. A fine example of what the format could do, right up there with Rumors and other feature packed DVD-A's.

All of my SACDs sound better than the corresponding dvd-audio. My SACD player is more high-end than the machine I play dvd-audio on. So I think this is player dependent. Don't most people agree?

One exception: Dire Straits Brothers In Arms... the dvd-audio sounds way better even though the machine is not as good.

All of my SACDs sound better than the corresponding dvd-audio. My SACD player is more high-end than the machine I play dvd-audio on. So I think this is player dependent. Don't most people agree?

One exception: Dire Straits Brothers In Arms... the dvd-audio sounds way better even though the machine is not as good.

I must have a dozen at least, maybe more, albums on both SACD & DVD-A on the various Universal/UMG labels/imprints (things like EJ's GYBR, David Sanborn's "Timeagain", Aaron Neville's "Nature Boy", Steely Dan's "Gaucho", couple of Marvin Gaye & Ryan Adams albums apiece, Diana Krall, spring to mind) and on two different systems (Pioneer Universal DVD & Denon AVR, CA/Oppo BDP & Yamaha AVR) personally I prefer the DVD-A's, they've got more detail and more balls, it feels almost like you're in the studio or whatever.. maybe its all equipment related but I suspect it goes beyond the playback chain at home, back to the mastering, mixing etc. perhaps!?

I'll bet most if not all of those Universal surround mixes are PCM sourced of course & not DSD-mastered, so that's gonna influence & futz things up a tad.. maybe.. :mad:@:

I still love SACD (not least for so many brilliant surround mixes that are unique to the format & unavailable on DVD-A, DVD-V, DVD-XYZ.. but also because SACDs are, for me, so bloody collectible!) and if I'd never heard a DVD-A I'd be none the wiser and be perfectly happy - as I am, don't get me wrong I'm not saying SACDs are a pile of crap, they're just great whereas for me those DVD-A's have the edge.

bah I love 'em both! so long as its surround music it could be on either at this stage of the game and I'd be happy! I tried to resist chipping into this one but ah well, couldn't sleep so I did.. tired now! :D.. over and out! :p

I would imagine that high end equipment will do a better job, obviously. But not many have that ability. Then there is the noise issue with sacd, freq that can't be reproduced are filled with noise. I have no duplicates of dvd-a/sacd but I have yet to hear a good sounding sacd-I mean one that equals dvd a.

That is too cool. Wow feedback from Pete.

It is unfortunate that Moon was only given one microphone for most of his brilliant work.

Amazing DVD-A.

Correction; it's unfortunate Moonie was given only one TRACK. The sound is spectacular , and even though drumsets were only given one track back then (mono mentality), there were more than one micrphone used to record that one track...at least three were used for Moonie to achive its awesome sound....

And yes, in instances when you have both the SACD and the DVD-A, the DVD-A version trumps it anytime, IMO!!! (in this one the interview is quite interesting too)

Back