Toshiba SD 4900 DVD-A unit, $93 at Best Buy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct

I noted on the Toshiba website they they only offer one DVD-A unit now, listed for $149. I saw it at a Best Buy in Reston, Va. today for $93, which is a good price for a basic unit, and based on my experience with their SD 5700 and SD 4800 units probably dependable. It has progressive scan and component video connections. That certainly brings DVD-audio equipment in to almost anybodies price capabilities. No, I didn't buy one. Don't need it.

ct said:
I noted on the Toshiba website they they only offer one DVD-A unit now, listed for $149. I saw it at a Best Buy in Reston, Va. today for $93, which is a good price for a basic unit, and based on my experience with their SD 5700 and SD 4800 units probably dependable. It has progressive scan and component video connections. That certainly brings DVD-audio equipment in to almost anybodies price capabilities. No, I didn't buy one. Don't need it.

I have a SD 4800 that plays well - the only thing thats a pain is that to play DVD-A you have to go into the menu to manually change the setup to 6 channel. Dont think you have to do that for a Pioneer DV 45a or 563.

A side question that matters to some of us; does it include on-board DTS decoding? The past few models have lacked this.

The Pioneer DVD-563A player is setting the standard for hi-res audio value, players that lack full decoding options fall short. You'd have to switch inputs/modes to play DTS discs...

With my Toshiba units I send the DTS signal through optical outs to my Onkyo receiver, which does the decoding. It looked to me as though this is also what you have to do with the SD-4900. I looked on the back of the display model, it does have all the normal DVD-A hookup ports.

I have 2 DVD players. An RP82 that I have connected via stereo analog and optical (with component video) that I use for playing movies and stereo sources (such as stereo DVD-A) and a 45a that I have connected only via the 6 analog connectors and S-Video. In this way I am fully flexible for inboard (receiver) and outboard (45a) decoding. The video on the RP82 seems to be head and shoulders above the 45a so that is why I use it for movies. It's a beautiful thing.

All these methods of operation are fine for the various reasons cited. It just seems to me like a cheap cop out on the part of the manufacturer to not include DTS decoding at this stage of the game.

It necessitates the switching aspect that is avoided when all decoding is included in the player. (ie same 6 channel input for everything)

Most folks (not like us!) will likely have one DVD player and that should be included to complete the sound options if not the picture...

Back