"Tubular Bells" SACD Features '70s Quad Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Earlier on there were some comments here about Quad Mixes appearing on Multichannel SACDs.

Amazingly, one of the clearest sounding Multichannel SACDs of all is Virgin's Multichannel SACD of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells."

This is a hybrid SACD so it features a Conventional CD Stereo mix, an SACD Stereo mix and an SACD Multichannel mix.

The SACD Multichannel mix is the star here. Taken from the original analog discrete quad studio master tape, Tubular Bells on SACD offers surprising clarity, discrete sound localization and surround effects.

The disc also has new liner notes that describe how the original quad version came to be. And the story how Tubular Bells became the first pop/rock Multichannel SACD to be released.

Highly recommended !

Check the regular cd sections for this one, because it features a standard cd layer, it may not end up in the sacd section. At Tower, I've been seeing it in the regular section. The case has rounded corners, the stereo-only has a standard case.

Very true.

You'll find it mixed in with the regular CDs in many stores including Tower, Best Buy, Circuit City and others.

But it has great sound in SACD. If you have an SACD player, you will want to get this disc.

Had the vinyl quad version (part of a boxed set too) - the SACD version is sublime! The mix sounds so clear.

Howard

I have been in Singapore on a business trip and I bought a copy at HMV. I think it is different than the standard North American release. This one comes from the EU. Along with the SACD Super Jewel Case, the front insert is actually a mini-lp sleeve replica and there are additional inserts that talk about the original quad mix as well as the work done to create the SACD. I can't wait to get home to listen to it. MIKE.

That's the same SACD. Since it's a hybrid layer Multichannel SACD, it was made in Europe.

>>I have been in Singapore on a business trip and I bought a copy at HMV. I think it is different than the standard North American release. This one comes from the EU. Along with the SACD Super Jewel Case, the front insert is actually a mini-lp sleeve replica and there are additional inserts that talk about the original quad mix as well as the work done to create the SACD. I can't wait to get home to listen to it. MIKE. <<

I'm sure I read the answer to this at some point in time, but I've searched high and low and can't find it. As I understand it, there are 2 different quad mixes of Tubular Bells, one that was on the original quad lp releases, and a different one that was in the box set. Is this true, and if so, which version is on the SACD?

ArmyOfQuad said:
I'm sure I read the answer to this at some point in time, but I've searched high and low and can't find it. As I understand it, there are 2 different quad mixes of Tubular Bells, one that was on the original quad lp releases, and a different one that was in the box set. Is this true, and if so, which version is on the SACD?

The SACD features the "Boxed" quad remix for 1976

Back