UNIVERSAL DVD-A announcements...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcole

http://consumers.umusic.com/press/dvda080403.html

UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP RELEASING DVD-AUDIO TITLES
BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 2003

Upcoming DVD-Audio release schedule features world-renowned Universal artists including Andrea Bocelli, Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow, and Sting, among others

Santa Monica, California, August 4, 2003 - Universal Music Group (UMG), the world's leading music company, today announced its first DVD-Audio titles to be released in the United States beginning on September 23, 2003. UMG plans an ongoing DVD-Audio release program that will offer best-selling artists and core catalog titles to major markets worldwide.

"UMG continues to offer music fans a wide variety of formats in which to enjoy our music. DVD-Audio gives consumers a quality sonic experience, while also offering bonus enhanced content," said Larry Kenswil, President, eLabs, Universal Music Group. "The popularity of the DVD format makes DVD-Audio a natural choice for consumers who wish to experience the world of multi-channel surround sound."

UMG titles slated for release on DVD-Audio include:

• Aaron Neville - Nature Boy: The Standards Album
• Andrea Bocelli - Verdi: Arias
• Anne-Sophie Mutter - Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
• Beck - Sea Change
• Cecilia Bartoli - The Vivaldi Album
• Christian Thielemann - Orff: Carmina Burana
• Claudio Abbado - Beethoven Symphonies 1, 2 (among others)
• Dave Grusin - Two For The Road
• David Sanborn - timeagain
• Diana Krall - Love Scenes, When I Look In Your Eyes, The Look Of Love
• Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive!
• Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
• George Strait - Honkytonkville
• John Hiatt - Bring the Family
• Marvin Gaye - The Marvin Gaye Collection
• Ryan Adams - Gold
• Shania Twain - Up!
• Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions
• Steely Dan - Gaucho
• Sting - Brand New Day
• The Who - Tommy
• 3 Doors Down - Away from the Sun
• Vince Gill - High Lonesome Sound
• Valery Gergiev - Tchaikovsky: 6th Symphony

All of UMG's releases have been remixed and remastered from the original multi-track masters, taking advantage of the superior Advanced Resolution surround and stereo sound quality available with DVD-Audio. Typically UMG's DVD-Audio discs will include bonus content including photos, biographies, lyrics, discographies and videos. UMG DVD-Audio discs will also play on existing DVD-Video players using Dolby Digital™ surround sound. To learn more about DVD-Audio and UMG releases, visit www.umusic.com/dvda.

About Universal Music Group
Universal Music Group is the world's leading music company with wholly-owned record operations or licensees in 71 countries. Its businesses also include Universal Music Publishing Group, one of the industry's largest global music publishing operations.

Universal Music Group consists of record labels Decca Record Company, Deutsche Grammophon, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Island Def Jam Music Group, Lost Highway Records, MCA Nashville, Mercury Records, Motown Records, Philips, Polydor, Universal Music Latino, Universal Records, and Verve Music Group as well as a multitude of record labels owned or distributed by its record company subsidiaries around the world. The Universal Music Group owns the most extensive catalog of music in the industry, which is marketed through two distinct divisions, Universal Music Enterprises (in the U.S.) and Strategic Marketing & Commercial Affairs (outside the U.S.). Universal Music Group also includes eLabs, a new media and technologies division.

Universal Music Group is a unit of Vivendi Universal, a global media and communications company.

TOMMY! TOMMY! TOMMY! TOMMY!

oooh, that record could use some cleanin' and some mixin'... yay!

I wonder how radically (not) different the Brand New Day disc will be on DVD-A (vs. the DTS I already have...)

Great sounding disc in DTS, btw. I sure hope that there's fun extras... If in fact Mr. Yellowbrick is on both formats, that could be the first major test of the "which one sells more" fun.

Personally, if there's a redbook layer on the SACD, and cool vids/extras on the DVD-A, I'd buy the DVD-A. If they're the exact same (ie., no extras), I really don't know what I'd get...

oh, the PAIN.

Give me Graceland by the end of the year and I'll stop whining about titles I'm missing... heheh.

Cecilia Bartoli - The Vivaldi Album - one word:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I will calm down in an hour or so... but then again perhaps not. This is almost too good to be true - one of the best opera releases I have ever heard.

The Who - Tommy

Okay, I definitely am not going to calm down...

Now this is definitely more like it. At least 10 off that list that will be heading my way as soon as they are available.

4 Titles Ill be getting
Beck- Sea changes (SACD and DVD-A)
The Who -Tommy
Elton John -GBYBR
and Peter Frampton

Now where is that Derek and the Dominoes album ?
:sun :sun :sun :sun

shocked and surprised at the quantity and potential quality of this batch of DVD-A's
Maybe things are looking up for the format.

Now when are these going to be avalable in Europe :confused: More expensive US imports. :mad:@: :mad:@:

Last edited:
This is so great!

September is killing me.... R.E.M (3), Sinatra, Sting, Diana Krall etc etc... :sun

With the low cost Pioneer machine out, the music labels would start cranking this stuff out big time for Christmas if they were smart!

ian959 said:
ne of the best opera releases I have ever heard: The Who - Tommy

I'm chosing to slightly misquote you in order to make the point -I- wish to make, that The Who's rock-opera's better than any crazy Italian bastard anyday...

Bring me Jesus Christ Superstar or bring me death...

:D

petermwilson said:
Hi,
Is that the same 5.1 mix used on the SuperBit dvd?

Peter m.

Geez, I hope not. I am guessing that it is the original studio version, not the friggin' movie! I can't imagine a worse choice ... the movie soundtrack over the original studio recording. I have the MFSL CD and it is wonderful. The movie is an embarrassment in comparison. :mad:@: Mike.

petermwilson said:
Hi,
Is that the same 5.1 mix used on the SuperBit dvd?

Peter m.

All of the Universal press coverage has the original Album sleeve in so I would assume !!!!!

Unless they do a silverline :mad:@:

Hi,
The film has both a dd5.1 as well as a dts mix.
Of course there's much more than the music on it, but once the dialogue is removed in wouldn't supprise me to see that they are the basis for the mlp and be added for dvd-v players.

If that's the case wouldn't most of the sound separation is pretty much done although (having just checked it out again) it was pretty soft in both formats but it was probably necessary to keep it in line with the dialogue. It was done in 48/24 for film instead of 96/24 for audio discs I suspect.

I sort of found this out the hard way with the choice of a sound card for my pc. I got a Maya 7.1 which would play DTS films but not audio discs.

If I had gotten the Maya 7.1 Gold it would have had the 96/24 juice for audio discs.

Peter m.

Back