Unknown Quad (?) CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not see anything in the links above about an encoding process. It appears that they believe the mastering process of a two channel recording provides a better recording for listening on a matrix 4-channel surround system. To me this is like using the Spatializer process on a two channel recording.

"Surround Sound can now be created from a standard stereo master and is completely compatible with mono, stereo, or Prologic sound. The system, which works by transferring the 64-bit process into 16-bit, provides what analog fans may rate a richness of sound comparable to a vinyl LP, without the noise."

Yea Mark, I think what you say might be the case.
Making a 4 channel recording with existing 2 Channel source , so rather an upmix type of encode process.

I noticed on line they are into 5.1 with their process which makes sense as it's timely to modern AV Equipment.

I got the CD today with the same product code and label but there is no hint on surround music, neither on the CD itself or the case nor on the booklet:unsure:

p.s.: Found the info on the 2nd last page of the booklet where it stated: Mastered by Hank Waring and David Bard, Quad Teck Digital, Los Angeles, CA.
But no specific hint of quadro sound!

I noticed the same thing as I picked up the disc today and played it thru Dolby pro .
Nothing spectacular in surround fwiw , but the music titles are really very good ,what with Van Morrison on 2 tracks and assorted guests throughout.

But i guess it is what it is.
17111615700225769460880726865649.jpg

Interesting that companies feel like they need to reinvent the wheel with matrix type surround sound encoding systems (they could just use a slightly altered version of the old EV Stereo-4 matrix system).

https://www.discogs.com/release/515...eatest-Hits-65-TV-Themes-From-The-50s-And-60s

This CD is the first time I heard about "Waring FDS" processing (nothing in the booklet, only the logo on the CD), some of these old mono TV theme songs do have some surround content when played with (original) DPL, apparently due to the Waring FDS processing.

edit (more about the Waring FDS system):
https://books.google.com/books?id=0iQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq="waring+fds"&source=bl&ots=PFn16pRcT1&sig=ACfU3U0WhWyiZPQqHbj4wOHe6TyyNVO6xQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPlu_d-veEAxUeG9AFHUrQBaEQ6AF6BAgNEAM#v=onepage&q="waring fds"&f=false

Kirk Bayne

Re Billboard:
I note Warings FDS matrix process is being used on the reactivated "DUNHILL"
Label , on CD only .( circa 1986.) I'll have to keep my eye open for a peek at CD's from Dunhill......Joe Walsh, and James Gang comes to mind.

Latest posts

Back