Velvet Underground "Loaded" 45th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm sort of in the same boat...but I am very curious how the mono sounds as well. Normally, I don't like to buy "box sets"

Now I'm listening to "The Velvet Underground & Nico"... this sounds good to. Are there any othe VU discs in surround? Should I try the Pure Audio version of this album?

Just listened to the album for the first time... I really like it... reminds me of The Rolling Stones. I just wish I didn't have to buy 6 discs for $80 to get one surround mix (although I'm sure for any long time fans of this album it's a no-brainer!) I'll have to think about this one for a bit...

Keep in mind that it's over 2 months from the release date AND amazon won't be the only place to purchase it...I would guess the price will be less...

Now I'm listening to "The Velvet Underground & Nico"... this sounds good to. Are there any othe VU discs in surround? Should I try the Pure Audio version of this album?

To my knowledge, no surround on any VU. The "with Nico" album would be excellent if remastered...and put out with some sort of surround. I love the band, always have.

Do we know who remixed this one yet?

Its Warner so.. could it be Klingberg/Kellogg?

If (and its just a big "if' on my part) this was an old shelved Warner DVD-A project (possible as the last remaster was 2004) it could be one of Warner's guys like John Kellogg.

I like a fair bit of Klingberg/Kellogg's surround stuff I've heard (Foreigner/Machine Head/Fragile/BSS/Grateful Dead) but I acknowledge feelings aren't all mutual round here :)

OR..
Could it be Scheiner?

OR..
Mr.Wilson?

Hmm.. any thoughts or info guys & gals?

Man, what a sheltered musical life I've led... These guys are really good! (The only song I'd ever heard before was Sweet Jane)... I'll definitely be watching the prices too!

If (and its just a big "if' on my part) this was an old shelved Warner DVD-A project (possible as the last remaster was 2004) it could be one of Warner's guys like John Kellogg.

I like a fair bit of Klingberg/Kellogg's surround stuff I've heard (Foreigner/Machine Head/Fragile/BSS/Grateful Dead) but I acknowledge feelings aren't all mutual round here :)

OR..
Could it be Scheiner?

OR..
Mr.Wilson?

I think Klingberg's work on Chicago and Chicago V was great, so I'm all for that... of course ES and SW are surround Gods, so we can only hope!

AFAIK, there's no information currently out there about who mixed this album in surround.
All of the sites that have info on this upcoming reissue appear to be singing off of the same song sheet, so there's no more information specifically about the surround mix to be found at this point.
I don't think Steven Wilson is a likely guess for this particular mix, but some of the others could be possible depending on when it was mixed.

It's a strange time we live in when we get two VU albums ('Nico' and 'White Light/White Heat') as stereo-only Blu-Ray audio discs detached from a box set, "Loaded" with surround only in a box set, and their self-titled album which has no high-res or surround offering at all. Certainly inconsistent, but at least this release gets surround at all, making it a possibility that I might actually buy this one. We'll see…

For the record, Klingberg/Kellog were not responsible for "Fragile" or either of the Grateful Dead titles, but they were responsible for the others mentioned, including the Chicago releases which skherbeck mentioned below.

OR..
Could it be Scheiner?

OR..
Mr.Wilson?

It's hard to speculate who might do a surround mix...since they haven't done one before...I looked at the last VU deluxe edition for answers HERE.....but I'm on the fence about this one because a lot of their projects have poor DR numbers...like this one..of course if the mix is well done you can get away with compressed music... but as a general rule that's the one thing that I am unwilling to tolerate...I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this one....I will need some feedback before I buy this one because I'm only interested in the surround disc...

For the record, Klingberg/Kellog were not responsible for "Fragile" or either of the Grateful Dead titles, but they were responsible for the others mentioned, including the Chicago releases which skherbeck mentioned below.

Oh crikey! :yikes I've been operating under a graaaaaave misapprehension! :eek:

Tim Weidner (what else has he done in surround?) apparently did Fragile (I still enjoy it more than most here) and Mickey Hart did the 2 x Dead 5.1's (which figures, very good mixes iirc).

Thanks for the correction RT :upthumb

It's hard to speculate who might do a surround mix...since they haven't done one before...I looked at the last VU deluxe edition for answers HERE.....but I'm on the fence about this one because a lot of their projects have poor DR numbers...like this one..of course if the mix is well done you can get away with compressed music... but as a general rule that's the one thing that I am unwilling to tolerate...I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this one....I will need some feedback before I buy this one because I'm only interested in the surround disc...

Could be that team, though that Deluxe set was from Universal and this one (I think?) is Warner's.. ? ...hmm..!

Oh crikey! :yikes I've been operating under a graaaaaave misapprehension! :eek:

Tim Weidner (what else has he done in surround?) apparently did Fragile (I still enjoy it more than most here) and Mickey Hart did the 2 x Dead 5.1's (which figures, very good mixes iirc).

Thanks for the correction RT :upthumb

You're quite welcome!
Looks like Tim Weidner also mixed all of the DVD-A releases for Seal and Yes' album "Magnification" too.
Funny how much I love those Seal DVD-A mixes, but I absolutely abhor the current surround mix he did of "Fragile". Never heard "Magnification" in surround, so I can't comment on that one.

Could be that team, though that Deluxe set was from Universal and this one (I think?) is Warner's.. ? ...hmm..!

I'm a little hazy about this being under the Warner umbrella...the amazon listing has Atlantic Catalog Group as the label for this release...they aren't listed under the Warner Group...I struggle with these "sub" labels...too many divisions in the record biz...

I'm a little hazy about this being under the Warner umbrella...the amazon listing has Atlantic Catalog Group as the label for this release...they aren't listed under the Warner Group...I struggle with these "sub" labels...too many divisions in the record biz...

Atlantic is definitely a subsidiary of Warner Music.

You're quite welcome!
Looks like Tim Weidner also mixed all of the DVD-A releases for Seal and Yes' album "Magnification" too.
Funny how much I love those Seal DVD-A mixes, but I absolutely abhor the current surround mix he did of "Fragile". Never heard "Magnification" in surround, so I can't comment on that one.

How odd! I always liked the Seal surround remixes (would I have preferred some things mixed differently? Probably. Do I have a problem with it? No :eek: )

Not played Magnification surround in some time but recall the mix was pretty good and enjoyed it at the time but I'd need to refresh the little grey cells!

I checked another source and you are right..Atlantic is listed...

That's one mystery solved! Now, which one of you Fokkers remixed this??
(Come on, Scheiner, Wilson, Guthrie, et al.. we know you all read this board, even if you're "Just Visiting" :D )

image.jpg

Well, I'm sort of in the same boat...but I am very curious how the mono sounds as well.

If you get a chance, check out the mono of the banana/Nico album...the really obvious tape edit on "Run Run Run" is even worse on the mono version. I had to play it a couple times before I was sure it wasn't a disc flaw!

Back