Velvet Underground "Loaded" 45th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never purchased from DD before. I wonder when I will get it? Are they US or other??

They are in the US...their corporate office is actually in Illinois here...of course their distribution centers are not there...they are not fast in the shipping stage...IIRC they are owned by the same company that owns importcds...it will take a while...but they are reliable...just relax...the hard part is over...you have enough music to keep you busy...and sooner or later you are going to have to properly install your audio gear...

They are in the US...their corporate office is actually in Illinois here...of course their distribution centers are not there...they are not fast in the shipping stage...IIRC they are owned by the same company that owns importcds...it will take a while...but they are reliable...just relax...the hard part is over...you have enough music to keep you busy...and sooner or later you are going to have to properly install your audio gear...

Yes and right now I'm jamming hard to Beatles Hey Bulldog. So good.....

I am such a sucker.
Based on Neil's thumbs up, the general opinion, the earmuffs code and my inability to pass up a great deal, I order this.
BTW, I've ordered from DD several times because they do have excellent short-term discounts and they are reliable.

Thank you Clint! I jumped in for that price and ordered too. I have ordered from dd before without any problems. In fact I just got my Fragile from them and am greatly enjoying it. I will say that their shipping is not the fastest.......but not the slowest either. They do beat importcds. My state tax rate is 8% so I payed a little bit more.

Based on all the positive reviews (thanks to all of you who posted) I took the plunge. This thing does not disappoint. Great fidelity for a recording that's 45 years old and the mix is excellent, very discrete. I hope Mr. Reeves is given more classic albums to mix into surround.

Man..I hope this is a good disc...cause I'll feel guilty dragging all you guys down with me on this one:couch

Clint, I know you'll take this in the spirit it's meant but, if I don't like this set I'm firing up the International Harvester pickup and shooting out your porch light. ;)

The 5.1 mix sounds terrific. I don't know the album well enough to spot any changes/anomalies but I find it all effective and a very entertaining listen. The surrounds are used lightly during some of the sparser sections but are otherwise quite active and discrete. Apart from the dedicated center channel (primarily for lead vocal) is does have a 'quad-y' feel as others have mentioned, particularly due to shifting placements track to track and absolute channel separation.

The 5.1 mix sounds terrific. I don't know the album well enough to spot any changes/anomalies but I find it all effective and a very entertaining listen. The surrounds are used lightly during some of the sparser sections but are otherwise quite active and discrete. Apart from the dedicated center channel (primarily for lead vocal) is does have a 'quad-y' feel as others have mentioned, particularly due to shifting placements track to track and absolute channel separation.

You know, this one is a REAL pleasant surprise. In my heart, I didn't give this one a chance...which is why I pre-ordered and then cancelled. But wow, given the cheapo price from Deep Discounts....I'm so glad I did. What a great, sleeper release. Excellent.

To go a little further - this one was a prime candidate for having a thin sound. I honestly thought it would have weak surround and thin sounding bass. Quite the opposite in both aspects...

To go a little further - this one was a prime candidate for having a thin sound. I honestly thought it would have weak surround and thin sounding bass. Quite the opposite in both aspects...

Indeed. The fidelity is surprisingly good.

Glad to hear you guys are liking this.
I'm on the NorthWest Coast so it looks like this Saturday for arrival.
I'm not all that familiar with VU except for a limited number of songs.
Sometimes the simpler recordings can be more revealing and natural.
At least that what it sounds like.
I may not have to shoot out Clint's porch light after all. :smokin

Glad to hear you guys are liking this.
I'm on the NorthWest Coast so it looks like this Saturday for arrival.
I'm not all that familiar with VU except for a limited number of songs.
Sometimes the simpler recordings can be more revealing and natural.
At least that what it sounds like.
I may not have to shoot out Clint's porch light after all. :smokin

[video=youtube;O08w8CegEeg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O08w8CegEeg[/video]

Postman just dropped off the VU set.
I guess I missed the memo, this thing is big!
At first I thought it might be an LP set by mistake or something.
Even though it's only in a cardboard container, no crushed corners or other overt signs of damage.
Amazing.

Listening to the original mix 2 channel right now.
Love it.
How did this set get released?
Someone somewhere with a sense of musical history, influence & money loves this record.
Only part way in but this a reverential treatment.
It's a bit like Talking Heads '77.
Different for it's time like Music From Big Pink.

Love it.
Someone somewhere with a sense of musical history, influence & money loves this record.

Love it.

so good you love it twice :)

The curse of the double post

Back