HiRez Poll Wham! - MAKE IT BIG [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Wham! - MAKE IT BIG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-Ray Audio release of the classic album "Make It Big" by Wham!
This new Blu-Ray Audio release contains a new Dolby Atmos mix of the album and 11 bonus tracks, and the Blu-Ray audio release is available exclusively on the SuperDeluxeEdition.com store:
https://www.thesdeshop.com/products/exclusive-wham-make-it-big-limited-edition-blu-ray-audio

(y) :) (n)

makeitbig3.jpg

For those that hesitated on the two Wham albums shame on you, Paul has done a fantastic job making these available. Yes wham would not be my first choice but again i have discovered my 80's Mojo. Another rather surroundy mix and today's second guilty pleasure.

What's this extremely whispy reverb that I keep hearing whenever a sibilant is sung? It's really distracting me from what is otherwise a pretty fun playful mix. (I'm listening in 7.1, and I'm curious if this reverb is otherwise played through the Atmos speakers.)

This one get a 8, better sounding and the mix too, as Fantastic. Careless Whisper will never sound better, crank up the volume. All by all good sounding disc with fine extra's to. Hopefully it open's the door for George Michael's solo work too. Good job from Paul Sinclair

Paul Sinclair and SONY certainly did us all a favor by literally making this Pure Audio BD~A release BIGGER with copious bonus tracks both in ATMOS and stereo which extend the playing time by hours! In fact, the stereo bonus tracks played through the wildly discrete Musiclogic DSP mode on my Meridian pre/pro really sounded ASTOUNDING.

Was always a fan of MAKE IT BIG and this SDE exclusive brings it to a new level with an immersive ATMOS remix but as I mentioned, the diversity and quality of the bonus tracks ALL included on this BD~A sealed the deal for me. George Michael's pop genius is apparent on every track and even his rendition of BLUE [on the stereo bonus tracks] recorded live in China is a stunner!

This should be a template for a lot of future Pure Audio BD~A releases ..... instead of including 16/44.1 RBCDs .... put everything on the BD! Stop wasting polycarbonate ... and the real PLUS .... it all sounds better in 24 bit resolution!

I ended my listening session with WHAM! Rap '86 [bonus stereo track] played in Musiclogic DSP mode ...... Utterly WHAMTASTIC!

A 10!

Last edited:
What's this extremely whispy reverb that I keep hearing whenever a sibilant is sung? It's really distracting me from what is otherwise a pretty fun playful mix. (I'm listening in 7.1, and I'm curious if this reverb is otherwise played through the Atmos speakers.)

'Whispy reverb' is a good description. It seems to come from many speakers. On FM Rumours, I also detected whispy reverb coming out of the floor surrounds a bit. It is only really objectionable when I walk up to a speaker and listen. However, it doesn't bother me any more than a normal sibilant when I'm seated in the MLP.

Anyway, this performance is ultra high end drivel at its best with catchy tunes, lyrics...catchy everything...early Beatles reimagined in 1984. The sax solo on Careless Whisper is a hook of biblical proportions.

I really like the Atmos mix. We get a number of quality bonus tracks in Atmos to boot.

I'd give it a 9, but the quality bonus tracks in Atmos bring it up to a 10.

(album only, may edit later for bonus tracks) - "hidden" DD 5.1 Atmos downmix: 8
Music: 8.5

I also have this album on CD and the videos compilation on VHS and LD, my disc arrived around noon today, I've listened to Everything (she wants) about 20 times so far :)

Kirk Bayne

I would have been happier with this one if it had also included a 5.1 mix, in DTS-HD Master Audio, along with the Atmos and stereo. I found the Atmos mix somewhat underwhelming when played as 5.1, which caused me to drop my rating of this effort from a 10 to 8. I'd be hard to convince that there wasn't room on the disc for all three mixes.

(album only, may edit later for bonus tracks) - "hidden" DD 5.1 Atmos downmix: 8
Music: 8.5

I also have this album on CD and the videos compilation on VHS and LD, my disc arrived around noon today, I've listened to Everything (she wants) about 20 times so far :)

Kirk Bayne
What is the hidden downmix?

I need to start by saying, although my taste in music is all over the place, I LOVE love love bubble gum pop like this. So that greatly influenced my "10" vote.

I never owned this as a stereo vinyl record. I'm not sure why since there are so many hit tunes on it. So, my listen to this Blu-ray was a very first time listening for me - with no comparison available. I absolutely loved this. Fun, poppy, and crystal clear. It doesn't get much better than that for me.

The Atmos folded down nicely to 5.1 for my vintage +1 system. I really needed to make sure that center channel was "on" when listening or it could be more of a karaoke on some tunes - no lead vocals.

Again, a perfect 10. Thank you SDE! I'm looking forward to the Howard Jones.

What is the hidden downmix?

on [UHD]Blu-ray discs:
Dolby Atmos is contained in Dolby TrueHD and a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack downmixed (generally using presets for how the downmix is done) from the Dolby TrueHD (for older A/V receivers with only DD) is also included.

This DD 5.1 mix is what I call the hidden mix, on hardware players it is only accessible from the coaxial (or optical) output, it doesn't appear in the disc menu, I don't know if it appears as a menu option in software players.

Kirk Bayne

on [UHD]Blu-ray discs:
Dolby Atmos is contained in Dolby TrueHD and a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack downmixed (generally using presets for how the downmix is done) from the Dolby TrueHD (for older A/V receivers with only DD) is also included.

This DD 5.1 mix is what I call the hidden mix, on hardware players it is only accessible from the coaxial (or optical) output, it doesn't appear in the disc menu, I don't know if it appears as a menu option in software players.
So you're actually referring to the lossy Dolby Digital 'core' embedded/interleaved within the lossless Dolby TrueHD stream.

For anyone who's not aware, it is possible to extract the lossy Dolby Digital stream (which is often encoded at 640kbps). It's also possible to extract the lossy DTS stream from DTS-HD MA streams too.

Does everybody else's slipcase from SDE have the title upside down on the back side? The case also is upside down so I assume this was intentional, but it seems...odd.
IMG_7030-2.png

Does everybody else's slipcase from SDE have the title upside down on the back side? The case also is upside down so I assume this was intentional, but it seems...odd.
View attachment 105488

This was intentional. It's how the original UK LP was released. So Paul wanted to mirror the original release.

On my third listen now and like the other Wham! title, this one is a winner. Chris Porter isn't afraid to get aggressive with spreading different elements around the surround field. (FYI, I am listening downmixed to 5.1). For example, the "ah-ah-ah, oh-oh-oh" vocals in "Everything She Wants" ping-ponging back and forth in the rear channels is very effective, and something that many surround mixers would be too conservative to consider. Lots of discrete stuff happening in the rear channels. Some nice call-and-response stuff with the vocals going from front to rear. I also like how some of the Atmos mixes aren't necessarily just rehashes of the album versions. For example, on the single mix of "Careless Whisper", George's first "whoa-a-whoa-a-whoa" is panned hard rear left, which it isn't on the LP mix.

So whereas Fantastic was an album that I was completely unfamiliar with (it went pretty much unnoticed here in the States), this album was impossible to avoid when it was released. Four monster hit singles that were all over the radio and MTV. I'll admit that at the time I wasn't at all interested. I was a rock purist and couldn't be bothered with something that on the surface appeared to be flavor-of-the-month teenybopper music. Obviously these guys would come and go as quickly as Andy Gibb, Nick Gilder or Leif Garrett had. OK, I admit it, I was dead wrong. (The first thing that would turn my head a few years later was George's appearance at a 1988 televised benefit concert from Wembley Stadium). George takes it up a notch in the songwriting department here. Fantastic had some catchy tunes, but this one has classics. And the deep cuts deliver as well. "Like a Baby" is a stunning ballad. "Heartbeat" has the feel of one of the great Phil Spector produced pop records of the 60's. If The Ramones had covered it or Springsteen had on The River it wouldn't have sounded out of place. And as another review above said....

The sax solo on Careless Whisper is a hook of biblical proportions.

Biblical proportions indeed. The song is a timeless classic. Songs like this, Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" or Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" proved that this new breed of 80's artists could deliver the goods and write songs that could survive the decades as well as the acts that came before them. I think that part of the success of the songs here is that George isn't afraid to wear his influences on his sleeve (he clearly loves Motown) but has enough talent of his own to put his own spin on his influences and make it sound current. And he knew how to write a melody that would stick in your head. "Careless Whisper" is one of those songs that is going to be played by jazz combos until the end of time.

As for the package, well.... If you're gonna do it, do it right! And indeed @PaulatSDE has. An extra hour of bonus tracks in Atmos? And another hour of stereo bonus tracks? (And who other than George Michael would have referred to a 12" remix as an "Extended Stimulation"? :p ). That's how you fill up a blu-ray! (Pink Floyd, take notice). Let's hope this bodes well for some future releases of George's solo catalog, especially since all six of his albums have already been mixed in Atmos.

Only negative that I can think of is that there are still some alternate mixes from the period that aren't included like the instrumental mix of "Careless Whisper". However, I know that Paul said that he attempted to get that and the other missing mixes, so he still gets an A for effort.

No reason not to give this a solid 10.

Paul still has copies in stock. So what are you waiting for folks? Put on your "Choose Life" t-shirt and go-go over to The SDE Shop and grab a copy!

Last edited:
Back