What 4 albums would you most like on DVD-Audio?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BearcatSandor

Folks,

I was looking at my large CD collection and dreaming of wnat i wanted on DVD-Audio. Sadly a few of the things i most want would have to be re-done entierly from scratch to get the full effect..but here are the four albums I'd want most (esoteric as they are, good luck to me 'eh?):

1. Loreena Mckennitt: To Drive the Cold Wnter Away. This glorious album showcases her voice and harp. Each track was recorded in a different old stone church around Europe. The acoustics are fantastic. In order to get the full effect, the album would have to be re-recorded with a natural 5 mic set up.

2. David Lanz: Return to the Heart. The solo-piano peceis are passionately played. As above they were recorded in different venues to capture a diferent acoutstcal space for each one. Complete re-recording would be nessesary with 5 naturally placed mics.

3. Nightwish: Century Child. Just my favorite Metal band/album of all time. The operatic voice of the female lead (Tarja) is awesome. The recording is ok, but would benifit from the higher bit-rates and sampling that DVD-Audio provides. Oh, and make it the import version please so i get the extra track.

4. Demons and Wizards. My second favorite metal act/album this is a colaboration between the groups Iced Earth and Blind Gaurdian. Almost folk-metal in it sound, the songs stay with me all week with one listen. Unfortunatly, it suffers from a lot of compression. It would sound great on DVD-Audio, if the compresion was in the mastering to cd and not the recording itself. Again, the import please with the extra track.

Ok, your turn. What do you wnat to have on DVD-Audio. I dont; care how likely it is, we can all pray right? :)

What are your 4 wishes for audio-nirvana?

Happy listening,

Bearcat

To start with........................I would like to see everything that has been announced out!!! :D :D

Now that would be something!!!

After that, you could start at Abbey Road and go from there.

:-jon

...heh, indeed. Great topic! I'd make it 10, but let's go with four for now...

Criteria - should probably be a studio album, and a multitrack one at that... then again, a really well recorded live album (Last Waltz, Halloween) couldn't hurt either. I'm excluding Graceland, as it's supposedly already coming out, and trying to find single, definitive albums for each band (like the classic albums series on DVD) that would shine in 5.1. My four:

1) Who's Next - The Who
2) Abbey Road - The Beatles (could be any, but I think that'll shine the most in multitrack... any Rubber Soul and beyond would simply ROCK)
3) Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa (again, an enormously tough call, frankly (Frankly? *cough*...) I'd take em all. His '65 recordings would be even better than Martin's dial twirling on the B's tracks.
4) Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis.

Man, only four is tough... from Abba to Zappa, bring on the titles!!!

Titles that would have been top of my list if they hadn't already been made:

1) Graceland
2) Night At the Opera
3) Bat Out of Hell (SACD, could have been better...)
4) Kind of Blue (also SACD)

SACD is better than DVD-Audio, so this list applies to SACDs not DVD-Audio

1. Any Bealtes (Abbey Road would be nice)
2. Any Our Lady Peace (Spiritual Machines would be my first choice)
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Greatest Hits (lots of good rock songs here)
4. Incubus - Morning View (this sounds awesome on regular CD, i can't imagine what an SACD would sound like)

Again, I like all 5.1 of my channels to have the same quality at a much higher sampling rate, so this is an SACD request, although I guess I could live with DVD-Audio:rolleyes: ...

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>SACD is better than DVD-Audio[/quote]
We didn't say by format now come on....:rollin: Here we go again format this format that ....8o
I DON'T CARE WHICH FOMAT :p
Just give me my MTV...My MAPO ..opps my 5.1,6.1, 7.1, ......
ALL AROUND SURROUND (pun intended)
;) 0] Rob

The 4 titles I'd like to see come out on DVD-Audio:

1) Beatles- "Abbey Road", as already mentioned
2) Kate Bush- "Hounds Of Love"
3) Led Zeppelin- "2"
4) Björk- "Homogenic"

Thanks for asking!

sacd is a dying formaty - nobody cares about another cd format! *LOL* :rollin:

When you get to the multichannel mixes, either of the HiRez formats is great. I have a high end system, and I find more differences in the recording and the mix of each recording rather than in the format these recordings are on.

Given that DVD-A is more of a M/C format, and it features graphics and lyrics, along with "extras", I prefer my multichannel releases as DVD-A.

However, M/C SACD is fine with me when there is no DVD-A available, but again, my personal preference is DVD-A first, SACD second, then Quad Reel!!! :D

You preferences may vary.

:-jon

WHY does a simple wishlist request have to turn into another %^@#&%$ DVD-A/SACD battle?
PEOPLE, YOU ARE P%^%ing ME OFF!
I have both, I like both!
Regardless, or as most mouthbreathers say, IRREGARDLESS, The question was WHAT 4 TITLES DO YOU WANT ON GODFORSAKEN DVD-A!!!!!!!!

1: Revolver-Beatles
2: Axis Bold As Love: Jimi Hendrix
3: Supertramp: Crime of the Century
4: Ok Computer: Radiohead

I agree Dave, I have both & like both. However like Jon stated, my preference is DVD-Audio. Why, you might ask? First, I like the visual aspect. Music, especially Rock Music, is VERY visually oriented and I like the fact that DVD-A acknowledges/takes advantage of that.

Secondly, the odds are much better for a M-C mix on DVD-A. Witness the Rolling Stones, Police, CCR, and Peter Gabriel catalogs. The only m-c mixes for these titles is on the Police hits package and Gabriels newest.

Having said that, I wouldn't go into the SACD forums and reply to a ? about which SACD titles I'd like to see next and reply that "SACD sucks! Make mine DVD-Audio!". I respect the other members here more than that. It's not something that's condusive to good dialogue. If I was that hardline, I'd limit my viewing exclusively to certain forums.

I have been reading this board for A LONG time and finally decided to join and post because of this topic. And I have been whining and moaning abuot the titles that have been released so far. I've got a few rock titles and all of the Barenboim Beethoven ones and a few various other albums, but so far I haven't had anything on my wish list released-although REM's Green is one that would have made the list.
But the list now, in order of importance to me would be
1: Chilli Peppers-Bloodsugarsexmagic (my favorite album of all time, until I die.
2: Beck-Odelay because I think all of those samples would sound amazing.
3: Beastie Boys-Check Yer Head or Ill Communication
4: Black Crowes-Southen Harmony-yada, yada yada
5: Hendix-Axis or Are You Experienced.
Sorry-I couldn't keep the list to 4 without including a Hendrix album.

oh, jeez... you know, when I've been posting on the other bit of the forum about the straw men that don't realy exists, twits who would ruin a perfectly good thread with a quip about format superiority deserve to listen to nothing but mid-80s Menudo. I mean, CUMMON....

I take it back, Cai. I hear where you're coming from... jeez. And, not to harp, but I believe the correct spelling is "Beatles". dunno...

WARNING: Any more posts in this thread that say DVD-A or SACD is better than the other will be deleted. The topic is "What 4 albums would you most like on DVD-Audio?" Please respect the original author's intent and stay on topic. If you want to start a similar topic for SACD, please do so under the appropriate area.

Okay, my top four titles (at this moment) that I would like to see released as multi-channel DVD-A (mixed from the original multi-track masters, Silverline fakes and the like do not apply!)

1. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
2. King Crimson - Larks Tongue In Aspic
3. The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
4. The Verve - Urban Hymns

Ok, I guess I should chime in on this topic.

<strong>[Humour mode on]</strong>
Everyone knows that DVD-A and SACD both (insert negative expletive here). Monophonic? Now that's where it's really at. Stereo? That was just a ploy to get us to buy two speakers? Multi-channel? Do the math :rolleyes: :

<em>Cai: I hope you haven't lost your sense of humor on this!</em>

[humour mode off]

Seriously, let's discuss the titles I'd like to see on DVD-Audio.

Pink Floyd <strong>Dark Side of the Moon</strong>
DVD-A would allow for stereo, the original Parsons Quad mix and the 5.1 mix. Talk about authoritative, this would be it! Add the ability to place video footage, interviews etc etc etc, and the title would be the reference standard of all time. Yes, it's on SACD but I think the above extra ingredients would make the DVD-A a superiour product, even without discussing sonic preferences.

Supertramp <strong>Breakfast in America</strong>
I love Crime of the Century too, but I enjoy the tunes on <em>Breakfast</em> a little more.

Linda Ronstatd <strong>Lush Life</strong> and <strong>For Sentimental Reasons</strong>
Yes, these are two titles but the runtime is short enough that they could fit on a single disc. If George Massenberg is used again, the result would be a sonic treat. Come to think of it, George mixed my favorite DTS surround disc, Lyle Lovett's <strong>Joshua Judges Ruth</strong>

Steely Dan <strong>Aja</strong> or <strong>Katy Lied</strong>
Gaucho was great, but I'm fairly sure Dan fans would agree that these two titles are superiour to Gaucho.

Anyway, this is my "want list", which excludes those titles announced already by WB.

Regards,

John, I can keep a sense of humor about it as long as the topic doesn't get derailed. It's not so much a question of whether I can keep a sense of humor about it but more a question of can ALL the users keep their sense of humor about it, since it takes only one misinterpretation to spiral things totally out of control. I guess I'm a "nip it in the bud" kind of guy. In any event, here we go off topic again... :p

Cai,

Waddya mean "off topic"? We both posted other info, but we still stuck to the original topic too, by indicating 4 titles we'd like to see on DVD-Audio ;)

Does this mean I have to post 4 more titles??? :D

Regards,

We just need to respect the members original question.....
anyway......BACK TO THE 4 DVD-A's we'd like to see.....
can I list another 4?
led zep...1,2,3,4

I would just pick my four favorite albums of all time-all Warner titles which have NEVER been remastered for cd just to here them in 24/96 or even 24/192

1)Van Morrison-Moondance (Van PLEASE give your blessing so this DVD-A can FINALLY be released!)

2)Neil Young-Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere- runner up Neil Young pick:Zuma

3)The Pretenders-The Pretenders (would even be better if they included those two b sides from the Extended Play disc-never released on cd:Cuban Slide and Porcelin)

4)The Replacements-Tim

In reply to Fugly's choices I second The Red Hot Chili Peppers-BloodSugarSexMagic-would also love to see By The Way-I can't believe Warners hasn't released one album by the peppers on DVD-A by now!

Back